Sat 17 Oct: Challenge Cup Final: Leeds Rhinos v Salford Red Devils KO 3pm (BBC)

Who will win?  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Leeds Rhinos by 13 points or more
    • Leeds Rhinos by 7 to 12 points
    • Leeds Rhinos by 1 to 6 points
    • Draw after 80 minutes
    • Salford Red Devils by 1 to 6 points
    • Salford Red Devils by 7 to 12 points
    • Salford Red Devils by 13 points or more

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 17/10/20 at 14:30

9 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

As usual, you don't see the bigger picture, why have the expense of hiring Wembley, when the final can take place for free (ish), somewhere up north, and not spread a virus around.

You were talking about self isolation and bubbles. You were wrong.

You are now talking about how the game could have avoided the expense of its contractual obligations with Wembley. Yet again you are wrong.

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, sentoffagain2 said:

I'm wearing my red jumper today.Liverpool in the Merseyside Derby and Salford in the Challenge Cup Final.Being from Yorkshire and a Fev supporter i should probably be rooting for Leeds.During the Semi against Warrington i found myself shouting just as hard for Salfords never say die efforts than i have done at some of Fevs big games.Just hope the Final does the game proud.

Yes indeed.  But can I suggest that it can be rewarding to watch a game not involving your team?  I would rarely support Wire (obviously as coming from Wigan) and was pleased for Salford in Semi. Not always so when faced with the antics of its former chairman.   Likewise with Saints and terribly conflicted when Saints and Warrington played.  Ultimately selfishness wins when Saints lose late on. Personally I think wire fans are too hard on Price.

Traditionally Saints v Leeds battles were good fun with 6 bells knocking out of each other.  All very sanitised now.

As for the Final, it will be possibly dependant on Salford managing Gale.

Does anyone actually know how much it costs to hire/operate an empty Wembley? Everyone seems to assume it is a fortune - and maybe it is - but presumably (1) they don't have to open/steward 90% of it and (2) there aren't a long list of other people trying to hire it.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

1 hour ago, M j M said:

You were talking about self isolation and bubbles. You were wrong.

You are now talking about how the game could have avoided the expense of its contractual obligations with Wembley. Yet again you are wrong.

OK, but when the game goes bankrupt,  look up my posts.

Given the pandemic situation we are in, the RFL could negotiate itself out of obligations if it tried. Good luck with the multi million pound contract with nothing coming in, apart from scetchey tv money that will dry up next year in favour of soccer.

5 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

OK, but when the game goes bankrupt,  look up my posts.

They’re not really worth reading first time never mind reading them again 😉

Anyway, as a Leeds fan I obviously  them to win, however this is a strange final for all sorts of reasons.

I’m just glad that after a few torrid years and getting dumped out of the CC last year by Bradford my club looks to have turned a corner, we look like a proper ‘team’ again, so just to be watching them in a final again feels good.

Im also chuffed for Salford and wouldn’t be that upset for them to get a trophy

Would like a Salford win and I have a feeling they will today. Was a shame that we had to play them in the Grand Final last season but I wouldn’t have begrudged losing to them, had it happened. 

A name on the trophy that hasn’t been on there for a long time would be nice to see, too. Just as it was for Catalans a couple of years ago. 

1 hour ago, Just Browny said:

Does anyone actually know how much it costs to hire/operate an empty Wembley? Everyone seems to assume it is a fortune - and maybe it is - but presumably (1) they don't have to open/steward 90% of it and (2) there aren't a long list of other people trying to hire it.

Last time I could get proper figures which was a few years ago, it was £750K for a 1-day event, all tiers in use, fully staffed. If only the bottom tier is used then £250K. I assume the RFL pay less than that as they have a multi-year contract.

First Final at Wembley I've missed this century. The BBC coverage with Rob Burrow, the world cup finals etc. has been excellent so far.

Getting nervous now.

Time for the boys to go to work. Good luck, Salford! Bring the cup home with you.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

2 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

Next month the RFL will be moaning why the government are not supporting Rugby League, after spending an enormous amount of money, hiring an empty 90k seating stadium, when we could be saving the RFL 1000's by playing the final in an empty stadium, somewhere up north

How much do you think it would cost the RFL in Lawyer's fees plus inevitable award of damages against them to break the contract they signed some years ago?

2 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

For what? The World Cup? Granted it needed mentioning but so little has been said about either side playing today so far. 

They have a whole hour's buildup, and are now focusing on the final, rather than the wider stories (like the RWC) that many people tuning in won't know much about.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

8 minutes ago, JonM said:

How much do you think it would cost the RFL in Lawyer's fees plus inevitable award of damages against them to break the contract they signed some years ago?

About the same as its cost them to play games at empty "Neutral" stadiums

1 minute ago, Futtocks said:

They have a whole hour's buildup, and are now focusing on the final, rather than the wider stories (like the RWC) that many people tuning in won't know much about.

It’s not a bad thing but up until five minutes ago, the build up hasn’t been about the game and promoting this massive game. It feels a bit squeezed in and a bit of an inconvenience on what was a nice build up to three World Cups. 

Just now, Bleep1673 said:

I reckon you'd be looking at a couple of million in legal costs and compensation, not forgetting the strong chance that we wouldn't be playing any more games at Wembley after unilaterally walking away from a contract. Explain to me again how that works out to be a cost saving?

11 minutes ago, JonM said:

Serves them right for signing such a long term contract, when there are developments in the North, and after 75% capacity in recent years.

Okay, you're determined to be outraged. Your choice.

The Challenge Cup Final is a national FTA shop window for the whole sport, not just the two clubs who get there.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

3 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

You clearly have no idea about the ‘bigger’ picture here, do you think the occasion would be as good for the players, media and fans watching at home if this had been played in Leigh?

10 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

For what? The World Cup? Granted it needed mentioning but so little has been said about either side playing today so far. 

Bloody typical, BBC put together some great promotion for the game and the usual suspects are moaning about it.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Archived