Sat 17 Oct: Challenge Cup Final: Leeds Rhinos v Salford Red Devils KO 3pm (BBC)

Who will win?  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Leeds Rhinos by 13 points or more
    • Leeds Rhinos by 7 to 12 points
    • Leeds Rhinos by 1 to 6 points
    • Draw after 80 minutes
    • Salford Red Devils by 1 to 6 points
    • Salford Red Devils by 7 to 12 points
    • Salford Red Devils by 13 points or more

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 17/10/20 at 14:30

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are many decisions that affect the game. For me, Leeds's try was in touch, Salford shouldn't have had the ball for their last try, but that's the game, everyones doing the best they can and these things work themselves out in general. 

Leeds were the slightly better team, Salford did very well but its a fair result, no injustice here. 

Just now, unapologetic pedant said:

Ref penalises Salford for an illegal PTB under pressure, then on the handover watches Leeds under no pressure go through the motion of playing the ball illegally. And we`re expected to take seriously his explanation of the distinction.

I don`t blame the ref. I blame the coaches, players and most of all the RFL.

Indeed - the PTB's are a mess in SL and have been for a long time - but that has always been the case,

It isn't hard for the person playing the ball to retain their feet - something all of those Leeds players managed to do with their "illegal" PTBs afterwards.

From Twitter, this made me laugh.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

4 minutes ago, Click said:

You should learn the rules of RL, and then you would know it wasn't a pedantic decision - He knocked the ball on, he is 6ft10 or however much of a giant he is - He shouldn't have to fall over because a hand is on top of him. 

One of the key parts of the PTB is to have balance and not fall over.

The ref had a good game I felt, pretty anonymous generally, and ref'd with a smile on his face which was good to see.

You should watch the game. It wasn't a knock on but a supposed illegal ptb. Both sides got away with loads exactly the same throughout. The decision was pedantic.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Ian Watson, being brutally honest. Blaming nobody but his own side, no ref bashing, just honesty.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

1 minute ago, Padge said:

Ian Watson, being brutally honest. Blaming nobody but his own side, no ref bashing, just honesty.

He's a brilliant coach and a better bloke. Hopefully over the years he keeps this attitude. 

Here's Sinfield to bring it all down to misery.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Arghhhhhhhhh - listening to Wilkin talk about it is infuriating - "it may be lazy analysis from us" - as he talks about how he didn't touch it with his foot as the reason it was a knock on -

IT WAS NOT THE REASON. LISTEN TO WHAT THE REFEREE SAID WHEN HE GAVE THE PENALTY.

You are being paid for this ! None of these people in the box know the reason why it was a knock on.

Infuriating. 

Surprisingly - that wouldn't have been a knock on in the NRL, and most likely would have been play on (if they accept the lack of playing with the foot, which usually they do)

20 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

after all that effort- such a shame the game was swung by a padantic pathetic refereeing tic against pauli pauli - if i was a salford fan i would be fuming

Salford player had Olezdki in a chokehold for the "knock on" that led to thier try. Its all swings and roundabouts.

6 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

You should watch the game. It wasn't a knock on but a supposed illegal ptb. Both sides got away with loads exactly the same throughout. The decision was pedantic.

I did watch the game, thanks though.

It was a knock on, it is in the rules - granted it hasn't been in the rules for long, a couple of seasons roughly. The player who is playing the ball has to maintain balance as he does so. If the referee decides he's being crowded and that's why he's fallen over, then he may blow a penalty for that. It wasn't an incorrect PTB to illicit a penalty against Pauli either, just a knock on.

It wasn't pedantic either, only one other time did someone fall over as they played the ball earlier in the game, it was Donaldson, and guess what? The ref gave a knock on for that too.

Stay on your feet while you play the ball and it's play on, but he fell over because someone was touching his back.

Gutted! I'd kick the cat, but it died a year ago.

Another coat of paint on the posts and that first conversion would have bounced clear. "Sack the lazy painters," I say.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

Just now, JohnM said:

Gutted for Salford and their fans. Just hope the players(and manager) are not kidnapped by other clubs. Keep it all ogether. 

This is the key, something is building there and it needs to be kept together. In the past it was a club players left for bigger clubs to play in finals and compete for trophies, now though Salford are showing they can compete for trophies as well nad hopefully players will take notice of that. Only thing that could sway players away from Salford is the inability to compete with top teams in terms of wages. 

Great effort from both teams, and also another big event presented really well by the BBC.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

5 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Again I agree.

Usually for a penalty to be given in the last 5 minutes of a tied cup final,  you would expect it to have to be clear cut.

That was the key moment.

8 minutes ago, Click said:

I did watch the game, thanks though.

It was a knock on, it is in the rules - granted it hasn't been in the rules for long, a couple of seasons roughly. The player who is playing the ball has to maintain balance as he does so. If the referee decides he's being crowded and that's why he's fallen over, then he may blow a penalty for that. It wasn't an incorrect PTB to illicit a penalty against Pauli either, just a knock on.

It wasn't pedantic either, only one other time did someone fall over as they played the ball earlier in the game, it was Donaldson, and guess what? The ref gave a knock on for that too.

Stay on your feet while you play the ball and it's play on, but he fell over because someone was touching his back.

You are exactly right in what you say.

And not to argue with you or anyone else (claiming it was pedantic or inconsistent) but this is exactly the ridiculous position we have placed out referees in. Yes, it was a knock on by the letter of the law but 99% of the play the balls in the game break the laws in one way or another. And we ask our ref's to blow some up and let others go while at the same time demanding impartiality and consistency. 

Anyway. What a terrific game of Rugby. Entertaining for 80 minutes and a great contest.

And well done the BBC for the in match effects. Imagine how much less of a TV spectacle it would have been without the (fake) crowd nosing and singing. It made it feel like a real cup final.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Archived