Sat 17 Oct: Challenge Cup Final: Leeds Rhinos v Salford Red Devils KO 3pm (BBC)

Who will win?  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Leeds Rhinos by 13 points or more
    • Leeds Rhinos by 7 to 12 points
    • Leeds Rhinos by 1 to 6 points
    • Draw after 80 minutes
    • Salford Red Devils by 1 to 6 points
    • Salford Red Devils by 7 to 12 points
    • Salford Red Devils by 13 points or more

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 17/10/20 at 14:30

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the big game breaker was the pass from Watkins to Williams.

If it would have been a more accurate pass / caught the ball, then I think we'd have been congratulating Salford.

This is the first final in a long time, that I've genuinely been excited by it, and it was a wonderful contest. 

Thank you for a wonderful spectacle.

2008 RFL Wakefield & District Young Volunteer of the Year

Looks like Starmer's angling for a ticket to next year's final...

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Watson should be so proud  of that team. It is obvious he would strengthen if he could. He basically has moulded a team of SL squad players into a very competitive outfit. Not only that but they also play some very entertaining football. He has reached a GF and Challenge Cup final with zero resources. They were just missing a touch of fortune today and a bit of composure. Well done Salford!!

28 minutes ago, Scubby said:

The game hinged on control and composure in the end. Leeds created two clear drop goal opportunities - Gale missed the first but nailed the second. Salford got in the 20 and threw it from side to side and ultimately blew it. Shame for them as the game was there to level up.

From memory, Salford have managed just one successful drop goal in the past two years. Even in the cup match against Catalans, they ran it in golden point extra time (resulting in the winning try) rather than going for the drop goal. I'm not sure Salford have anyone in the squad who could successfully kick one, so I wasn't too surprised to see them run it at the end there

26 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

There’s a simple solution, don’t talk about the ref then.

Every game should have two threads pinned as they come up, the game thread and a seperate ref thread.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Just now, Chrispmartha said:

Just have a sticky thread at the top - general moaning thread.

All the others would become superfluous.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Really entertaining game, if not the highest quality.

Typical Salford in that they hung on and struck back. The difference here was Leeds had time to come back where Catalans and Warrington did not.

The difference was composure. If Leeds had found themselves in Salford's position in that last 2 minutes, I have no doubt they would have looked to level it. 

To go for it all was a big risk and indicative of a team without a drop goal kicked in it.

Feel for Salford, you sense that was *the* chance to win a trophy and they may not get a better chance.

For Leeds, thought they were strong in the first half. It was to their credit that they didn't panic when they fell behind and had the composure to win it. That's why they signed Gale.

I thought Leeds just deserved it in the end, but couldn't have argued if it went thr other way.

1 hour ago, Hammerless Nail said:

I’m not sure Salford have anyone in the squad who could successfully kick one, so I wasn't too surprised to see them run it at the end there

If Inu had a bit more pace and better execution, they should have been celebrating a winning try... 

Tough loss for Salford, I only hope someone was watching this and puts money into the club without repeating the mistakes that the Good Doctor made.

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

3 hours ago, Click said:

Haven't read the rest of the thread - but I got annoyed at the commentators lack of knowledge as to why the knock on was given against Pauli Pauli - He has to get up, play the ball, and stay on his feet - he can't fall over as he plays it - hence the knock on. The exact same thing happened earlier with Donaldson, and the ref blew a knock on and the commentators didn't comment on it.

It's been a rule for about 2 seasons now, it isn't new. 

Except there were 2 Leeds players leaning on him , penalty to Salford , they win 

3 hours ago, Click said:

You should learn the rules of RL, and then you would know it wasn't a pedantic decision - He knocked the ball on, he is 6ft10 or however much of a giant he is - He shouldn't have to fall over because a hand is on top of him. 

One of the key parts of the PTB is to have balance and not fall over.

The ref had a good game I felt, pretty anonymous generally, and ref'd with a smile on his face which was good to see.

A hand on top of him is a foul ,end of 

Archived