Sat 17 Oct: Challenge Cup Final: Leeds Rhinos v Salford Red Devils KO 3pm (BBC)

Who will win?  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Leeds Rhinos by 13 points or more
    • Leeds Rhinos by 7 to 12 points
    • Leeds Rhinos by 1 to 6 points
    • Draw after 80 minutes
    • Salford Red Devils by 1 to 6 points
    • Salford Red Devils by 7 to 12 points
    • Salford Red Devils by 13 points or more

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 17/10/20 at 14:30

51 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

You are confusing 2 different things.  We have 12 fully professional clubs whose main income comes from TV money.  The Cup has changed, its plausible to say its been devalued (in the way the FA Cup has), but its changed because in its origins it was for 30 part time, very part time, clubs.  Its not now. The place to bring in the SL clubs is irrelevant.  The honest thing is to abolish the Cup all together.

If you did not watch the game you cannot complain about any play the balls, and the Salford player made a lazy mistake at a crucial moment.  Its very sad and I'd wished he hasn't. But they did.

My main complaint about the game is that it was pretty repetitive and not very inventive,  with endless high kicks to the corners. Possibly one quick thinking action from Salford when returning a kick gave them a spectacular try. But not much invention. Gale was a one man team... but fair doos to him, he has come back from terrible injuries.

Was there 2 Challenge Cup Finals yesterday or were you watching Exeter V Paris by mistake.

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, JohnM said:

Gutted for Salford and their fans. Just hope the players(and manager) are not kidnapped by other clubs. Keep it all ogether. 

Yeah I hope Watsons not poached by Wigan and they keep hold of Lam.

Not seen the game, only the  excellent Williams try.

My question is, if the Ref had made no decision on the disputed knock on and it was 'play on' would the Ref would now by criticised for not intervening or would the incident have been forgotten about? 

As I say I haven't seen the incident so my question might well be silly but you might get my drift- Play on and no one notices......perhaps.

TESTICULI AD  BREXITAM.

Having rewatched the game 2 points.

1. I missed these 12 forward passes by leeds again, it’s almost as if a certain poster was talking nonsense.

2. There can be no moaning about the Pauli Pauli ‘knock on’ There was an identical one given against Donaldson isn’t consistency by the refs what we want?

30 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Having rewatched the game 2 points.

1. I missed these 12 forward passes by leeds again, it’s almost as if a certain poster was talking nonsense.

2. There can be no moaning about the Pauli Pauli ‘knock on’ There was an identical one given against Donaldson isn’t consistency by the refs what we want?

I don`t know the precise reason you`ve put inverted commas around "knock-on", but they could be placed around every lost ball after the tackle is complete. These are not knock-ons.

Commentators, even officials, get this wrong all the time. 

18 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Polish Ambassador getting in on the act . Nice one   

@ArkadyRzegocki

Congratulations to

@leedsrhinos

@mik_oledzki

on becoming the first Polish-born player to win

@TheChallengeCup

! Gratulacje

bloody eastern europeans - coming here, taking our challenge cups and our women!

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

3 hours ago, Davo5 said:

Was there 2 Challenge Cup Finals yesterday or were you watching Exeter V Paris by mistake.

The Challenge Cup was very intense, especially in the 2nd half.  But its not a good idea to get carried away.  The game was close and intense.  But it was relatively slow and repetitive.  The principle plan was high kicks in the corners. Leeds were there for the taking in the 2nd half but Salford could not keep up the pressure.

A thoroughly enjoyable game played by two flawed teams.

Well presented with a full build up. Claire Balding is a fantastic ambassador for the game. Would like to hear a more contemporary summariser than Jonathan Davies now, though. Think he has had his time.

What was really refreshing over the ref's late call was the reaction to it. No hysterics, just the observation the player should never have given the ref the chance to make the decision.

Can you imagine if similar had happened in football?

1 hour ago, unapologetic pedant said:

I don`t know the precise reason you`ve put inverted commas around "knock-on", but they could be placed around every lost ball after the tackle is complete. These are not knock-ons.

Commentators, even officials, get this wrong all the time. 

That’s why i put inverted commas they weren’t knock ons but incorrect play the balls and both were correct calls

55 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

That’s why i put inverted commas they weren’t knock ons but incorrect play the balls and both were correct calls

I agree. Although the problem for our refs in this context is that 99% of PTBs in the UK are incorrect for another reason.

Most commentators cannot distinguish between before and after the tackle is complete, and therefore between a knock-on and a lost ball/ incorrect PTB. In the case where the ball-carrier`s arm hits the ground and the ball comes loose in a backwards direction, they see it as a knock-on call, and think the ref`s got it wrong. They don`t realise it doesn`t matter in which direction the ball travelled when it`s lost after the tackle is complete.

21 hours ago, GeordieSaint said:

If Inu had a bit more pace and better execution, they should have been celebrating a winning try... 

Possibly.

To continue the "why didn't they go for the drop goal" debate, according to Wikipedia, Krisnan Inu has a career total of 3 drop goals, Kevin Brown has 3 and Tui Lolohea has 0. Luke Gale has 34.  I susoect that's why Leeds went for the drop goal and Salford didn't.

19 hours ago, Niels said:

We aren't really interested to be honest. I preferred to watch the horse racing and golf. I watched the last 10 minutes as a friend had it on.  Even then I was more bothered about final score. 

Had it been on Sky or  St Helens or Warrington then I would have watched, but then they.are likeable play attractive rugby.

Blimey. Even Warrington fans don't think Warrington play attractive rugby.

20 hours ago, Niels said:

We aren't really interested to be honest. I preferred to watch the horse racing and golf. I watched the last 10 minutes as a friend had it on.  Even then I was more bothered about final score. 

Had it been on Sky or  St Helens or Warrington then I would have watched, but then they.are likeable play attractive rugby.

20 hours ago, Niels said:

To say you were not bothered or interested you have a lot to say about it 😂😂😂

Archived