Sat 17 Oct: Challenge Cup Final: Leeds Rhinos v Salford Red Devils KO 3pm (BBC)

Who will win?  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Leeds Rhinos by 13 points or more
    • Leeds Rhinos by 7 to 12 points
    • Leeds Rhinos by 1 to 6 points
    • Draw after 80 minutes
    • Salford Red Devils by 1 to 6 points
    • Salford Red Devils by 7 to 12 points
    • Salford Red Devils by 13 points or more

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 17/10/20 at 14:30

3 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

You should watch the game. It wasn't a knock on but a supposed illegal ptb. Both sides got away with loads exactly the same throughout. The decision was pedantic.

Watching it again I didn't see any knock on. There seems so much confusion about it on here and on tv. 

I thought the refereee was over pleased with himself at telling the players and us that he knew an oblique law. 

Even if he was correct, using it to effectively decide the game wasn't the time to "penalise" it. 

For example in football, penalising a defender pushing in the box 5 minutes from time after having let many similar offences go would be frowned upon. Correct or not. 

I thought it was a poor decison within the context of the game. Would he have given it the other way?

Having said all of this, Leeds still had a lot to do to score the drop goal and even after this Salford had the chance to win the game themselves. 

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Mattrhino said:

Salford player had Olezdki in a chokehold for the "knock on" that led to thier try. Its all swings and roundabouts.

Yes but Leeds threw a dozen forward passes that weren't pulled , swings and roundabouts , were up the bigger teams get the calls 

3 hours ago, Niels said:

Again I agree.

Usually for a penalty to be given in the last 5 minutes of a tied cup final,  you would expect it to have to be clear cut.

That was the key moment.

It cost Salford the cup 

3 hours ago, Click said:

Again - There wasn't a penalty - it was a knock on against Pauli Pauli - He has to stand up with balance and control and regain his feet - He doesn't.

The referee literally says it.

It was a penalty the other way 

3 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

but yet again we are talking about the ref instead of the players, would that penalty or some of the others have been blown up in a state of origin game ? the lad had a decent game but we need to stamp out padantic technical penalties for next to nothing

Or set simple rules , once you tackle you are not allowed to change your ' grip ' on an opposition player , any contact will result in a penalty , sorted

11 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Yes but Leeds threw a dozen forward passes that weren't pulled , swings and roundabouts , were up the bigger teams get the calls 

Oh fek off, that's bullshine and in your heart you know it.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

16 minutes ago, Niels said:

Watching it again I didn't see any knock on. There seems so much confusion about it on here and on tv. 

I thought the refereee was over pleased with himself at telling the players and us that he knew an oblique law. 

Even if he was correct, using it to effectively decide the game wasn't the time to "penalise" it. 

For example in football, penalising a defender pushing in the box 5 minutes from time after having let many similar offences go would be frowned upon. Correct or not. 

I thought it was a poor decison within the context of the game. Would he have given it the other way?

Having said all of this, Leeds still had a lot to do to score the drop goal and even after this Salford had the chance to win the game themselves. 

Irrelivant 

18 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

A hand on top of him is a foul ,end of 

The man is 6ft10 or however much of a giant he is, as well as being a full time professional RL player, he should be able to stay on his feet and play the ball correctly.

It is literally a fundamental of the game - I won't comment on the rest, but this rule was literally brought in a few seasons ago to clean up the PTB because players were falling over and losing the ball at the slightest touch - Since then they have always said it was a knock on - The same as Donaldson was in the first half.

Stop picking up on a ref's decision, it was Pauli Pauli that made the mistake and you could say, cost Salford the game - if you are saying the ref cost Salford the game.

The reason the ref's let various other mistakes go at the PTB is because they are seen as being able to continue - when the person playing the ball has fallen over, the ref has to make a decision whether the opposition caused them to fall, or if they were playing it too quickly and failed/were trying to get a penalty in their favour. 

20 minutes ago, Niels said:

I understand completely what you mean - but this is a specific rule that has been enforced for the last few seasons - other infringements have been ignored for awhile now, and continue to be ignored, i.e. playing it with the foot.

26 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Except there were 2 Leeds players leaning on him , penalty to Salford , they win 

The annoying part was that  about 30 seconds later he allowed Leeds to get away with the self same offence.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

3 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

but yet again we are talking about the ref instead of the players, would that penalty or some of the others have been blown up in a state of origin game ? the lad had a decent game but we need to stamp out padantic technical penalties for next to nothing

To answer your question - no it wouldn't have been blown up in a SoO game, because they don't have the rule that the ref blew the knock on for. They don't have to "regain their feet and maintain balance" like they do in SL

1 minute ago, Click said:

The man is 6ft10 or however much of a giant he is, as well as being a full time professional RL player, he should be able to stay on his feet and play the ball correctly.

It is literally a fundamental of the game - I won't comment on the rest, but this rule was literally brought in a few seasons ago to clean up the PTB because players were falling over and losing the ball at the slightest touch - Since then they have always said it was a knock on - The same as Donaldson was in the first half.

Stop picking up on a ref's decision, it was Pauli Pauli that made the mistake and you could say, cost Salford the game - if you are saying the ref cost Salford the game.

The reason the ref's let various other mistakes go at the PTB is because they are seen as being able to continue - when the person playing the ball has fallen over, the ref has to make a decision whether the opposition caused them to fall, or if they were playing it too quickly and failed/were trying to get a penalty in their favour. 

As I put in earlier ,once a player has grabbed an opposition player and the ref called held , any change of grip us a penalty , end of , it isn't hard , we contribute to our own confusion , it isn't hard to sort out , do sort it 

Just now, GUBRATS said:

Watch the whole game and you will see them 

You watch the game, time each one one and then point us to the bit of the video to watch..

Are you in the "that pass was 6 metres forward" brigade,.

If all the players swapped sides, all the same mistakes would have been made but with the same players wearing different colooured shirts.

Refs do not make calls on the colour of shirts.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Just now, GUBRATS said:

As I put in earlier ,once a player has grabbed an opposition player and the ref called held , any change of grip us a penalty , end of , it isn't hard , we contribute to our own confusion , it isn't hard to sort out , do sort it 

Except they specifically brought in this rule to comeback players falling over at the slightest touch. 

Complain to the coach's for coaching grown men to act like footballers when they get involved with a PTB.

Just now, Click said:

Except they specifically brought in this rule to comeback players falling over at the slightest touch. 

Complain to the coach's for coaching grown men to act like footballers when they get involved with a PTB.

Slightest touch ? 

A touch is a touch , much easier to judge than the weight of touch 

Archived