New Brisbane NRL team

Davo5

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Their in a panic because the afl has been rating well up there and a lot of kids are playing it.  QRL is headed by a f******* dinosaur Hartcher, who for years has been more interested in protecting the Broncos and now we are paying for it. They should definitely have another team out of Brisbane by now and the team from the western corridor. And don`t talk to me about players what we need is more coaches who can develop players.

22 minutes ago, Oxford said:

It's amazing how far the expansion of the game can travel, isn't it?

Broughton Rangers comeback next on the menu!

Don’t you think the second biggest RL conurbation in the world should have two professional teams then? 

4 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Don’t you think the second biggest RL conurbation in the world should have two professional teams then? 

Absolutely. Brisbane population in 1990 was around 1.5m. In 2020 it is approaching 2.8-3m. That is a whole new Brisbane in 30 years. Of course they have enough room for a huge second club.

9 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Don't you think that these two things are not either or?

Expansion is just another club, widening the sport's footprint is growing the game. And if Brisbane can support two teams, that's fantastic too.

But a club in Brisbane is not expansion of RL however much you want to call it that.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

54 minutes ago, Oxford said:

Expansion is just another club, widening the sport's footprint is growing the game. And if Brisbane can support two teams, that's fantastic too.

But a club in Brisbane is not expansion of RL however much you want to call it that.

I wasn’t trying to call it expansion, though actually it might be if they foster interest in new people. 

1 hour ago, Oxford said:

There is a lot of people in Brisbane who don`t like the Broncos but follow RL, another team will give them someone to support and just as importantly support against the Broncos. Cross town rivalries can create a lot of supporter enthusiasm and interest in the general populace.

5 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Brisbane should absolutely have 2 NRL teams, it’s a massive Rugby League city.

Its ridiculous to only add 1 more club leaving an odd number of teams, just add 2 new clubs. 

They had fifteen teams for a while before the Titans were added and it worked relatively fine with byes each week and would do the same I imagine, if/when Brisbane 2 are announced. 

A second Brisbane team is a no brainier,should have done it 10yrs ago and the Dolphins certainly seem to have the financial clout.

Having said that I’d like to see a genuine expansion club also added with either Perth or a 2nd NZ team.

1 minute ago, Davo5 said:

A second Brisbane team is a no brainier,should have done it 10yrs ago and the Dolphins certainly seem to have the financial clout.

Having said that I’d like to see a genuine expansion club also added with either Perth or a 2nd NZ team.

think that is fair, perhaps its a case of seeing what the impact will be of Brisbane 2 on the extra money etc and what they can then afford to "lose" and for how long with a genuine expansion to really get an idea.. ie we'll run for 2 years on 17 while building the 18th ready to come in and hit the ground running in 2023 or something.. 

18 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

They had fifteen teams for a while before the Titans were added and it worked relatively fine with byes each week and would do the same I imagine, if/when Brisbane 2 are announced. 

I agree, with the high pace and impact of the game an odd number of teams gives everyone a bye, so even in the end they added three teams over the next 10 years it wouldn`t matter. But you then start getting into the possible scenario of two conferences with a possible shorter season. Then we can have that tantalising prospect of a proper International calendar every year.

2 hours ago, Eddie said:

I wasn’t trying to call it expansion, though actually it might be if they foster interest in new people. 

Then let's have a new team in Sydney then. There must be some suburb somewhere (Marrickville?) where they can land one there might be some people who weren't interested up to that point!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

4 minutes ago, Mr Plow said:

This is how SL and RFL should do expansion. Not just let anyone with money enter a team

I don't think the RFL are in the same position where they can be picky. It's not like there is a long list of candidates to choose from or stacks of heartland clubs from outside the system wanting to join.

2 hours ago, Oxford said:

Then let's have a new team in Sydney then. There must be some suburb somewhere (Marrickville?) where they can land one there might be some people who weren't interested up to that point!

Where do you suggest? Other than randomly picking big cities - Perth, Adelaide, Wellington. 

9 hours ago, RP London said:

New team which can help to secure more money from tv, corporates etc.. and people see it as a bad thing.. remarkable

Adding just one team, does not necessarily mean an increase in TV money as the games per round remains the same, the monetary gain comes from increasing games per round and/or ratings.

I don’t believe that a bye per round is a good thing as 1 team starts the season later than all the rest and 1 finishes earlier...and a proportion of fans have little interest in each round because their team is not playing.

9 hours ago, Quolls2020 said:

Adding just one team, does not necessarily mean an increase in TV money as the games per round remains the same, the monetary gain comes from increasing games per round and/or ratings.

I don’t believe that a bye per round is a good thing as 1 team starts the season later than all the rest and 1 finishes earlier...and a proportion of fans have little interest in each round because their team is not playing.

As mentioned in the article it gives a game a week for the Brisbane TV market rather than a game every other week which would surely lead to better/more local advertising revenue and therefore potentially more tv money. of course it does not necessarily do that and nothing is certain but that is why i said "which can help to secure" rather than "will secure".. 

Archived