RFL move from Leeds to Manchester

1 hour ago, fieldofclothofgold said:

Anyway back on subject it was a relief moving from Chapletown road to a stately home . When I went to the RL office on Chappy road we used to leave 3 to guard the car and one to nip inside .which is worse Chapletown or Moss side ? 

Chapeltown.

Just saying.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, fieldofclothofgold said:

Put it this way I was annoyed when they celebrated promotion I at ER and the in the City ,but what happened in Liverpool t other night I dont feel as guilty . Scousers can get away with it cos they're supposed to be cute 

Scousers cute? That’s the first time I’ve ever heard anyone say that. I’ve heard them called many other things 

2 hours ago, fieldofclothofgold said:

Anyway back on subject it was a relief moving from Chapletown road to a stately home . When I went to the RL office on Chappy road we used to leave 3 to guard the car and one to nip inside .which is worse Chapletown or Moss side ? 

Etihad Campus is on the other side of town to Moss Side but in its day just as tough, Now demolished in favour of the country's biggest multi sports complex.

A quality  home training base for all National RL squads plus administration as well as an education outlet that could make our game ( and others ) so much better.....can't think the RFL have got this wrong

13 hours ago, Clogiron said:

Was Ruby,Ruby,Ruby one of Fieldofs typos?

When that song was out and one of the rare occasions I was in town at that time of night I was glad to get in taxi for home .dont know what it's like now 🤔

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

Just now, Hela Wigmen said:

Would have been perfect for Manchester Lions but some old people who pine for the old days and a place that hasn’t had Rugby league played in it for 30 years. 

Sale Lions though more appropriate but sounds more like sealions

1 hour ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Would have been perfect for Manchester Lions but some old people who pine for the old days and a place that hasn’t had Rugby league played in it for 30 years. 

You mean like Belle Vue Rangers?

Oops 65 years. Manchester & Liverpool have no love of Rugby League, so stop wasting time & Money.

On 14/10/2020 at 21:57, Eddie said:

😂😂😂😂

Given how your crowds have fallen off a cliff in the last few years I hope you’re wrong about that! 

Great move.

Manchester is now the media and news capital of the UK.

This is old news but good news

2 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Would you be ok about Saints being renamed Liverpool Saints and moving to Goodison then?

6 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Would you be ok about Saints being renamed Liverpool Saints and moving to Goodison then?

If Saints hadn't played in St Helens for 30 years and had a regular audience of about 300 it would probably be a blessing.

They might rattle around a bit though.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

14 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Let’s put it into some context, Swinton Lions haven’t played in Swinton for nearly 25 years. In that time, they’ve played in Prestwich, Leigh, Chorley and at two venues in Salford. A move nine miles across the same city, having not played in the area they’re named after for 25 years is not comparable to a side that has played in the town it’s team is named after for nearly 150 years moving out of said town to play in a completely different city. 

A generation of people have never known Swinton in Swinton. Their name, while understandably sentimental to an ever decreasing number (and where will the next generation spring up from?), is effectively wrong and irrelevant. 

1 hour ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Let’s put it into some context, Swinton Lions haven’t played in Swinton for nearly 25 years. In that time, they’ve played in Prestwich, Leigh, Chorley and at two venues in Salford. A move nine miles across the same city, having not played in the area they’re named after for 25 years is not comparable to a side that has played in the town it’s team is named after for nearly 150 years moving out of said town to play in a completely different city. 

A generation of people have never known Swinton in Swinton. Their name, while understandably sentimental to an ever decreasing number (and where will the next generation spring up from?), is effectively wrong and irrelevant. 

Don’t most of their fans come from Swinton though? If so they still want their club to go back to Swinton, not move even further away and become somebody else’s club. From an outsiders point of view I thought the Manchester rebranding was a good idea but you can’t take fan’s emotion out of it and they clearly didn’t want that change. It’s a bit like Wimbledon, they didn’t want their club to move to MK and they still want to get back to Wimbledon, I don’t think anyone would dismiss them as old people pining for the old days? 

Does anyone know where Swinton’s fans come from? Would be good to have an insider’s view on this. 

21 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Don’t most of their fans come from Swinton though? If so they still want their club to go back to Swinton, not move even further away and become somebody else’s club. From an outsiders point of view I thought the Manchester rebranding was a good idea but you can’t take fan’s emotion out of it and they clearly didn’t want that change. It’s a bit like Wimbledon, they didn’t want their club to move to MK and they still want to get back to Wimbledon, I don’t think anyone would dismiss them as old people pining for the old days? 

Does anyone know where Swinton’s fans come from? Would be good to have an insider’s view on this. 

They’d be moving closer to Swinton by moving to the Etihad from Heywood Road than if they stayed where they are. It’s 12 miles from Heywood Road to Swinton, it’s 8 from the Etihad to Swinton. 

Again, you’re using a club moving out of their city as a comparable, which is wrong. Swinton left Swinton 25 years ago now, a return is as unlikely as one of their fans winning the Euromillions and buying some land in Swinton for them to move on. 

On 15/10/2020 at 07:41, Saint Toppy said:

Long overdue !

Whats not to like about moving from a dilapidated rural backwater that nobody has ever heard of outside of our game to a world class facility at a globally known location, that's at the hub of the Northern powerhouse and now has much of the countries media on their doorstep in Media City.

Also backed by the fact that the Region's mayor who's also a nationally known former MP also happens to be a RL fan

Only the bunch of deluded flat cappers who still think Yawkshire is the centre of the universe could believe this is a bad move for the sport.

irs not moving to st helens

On 15/10/2020 at 09:40, Eddie said:

Jokes aside, Leeds averaged nearly 16k in 2016 and now are closer to 12k, that’s a massive drop and it’s worryingly similar at Wigan. Not sure what if anything those two clubs are trying to do about it, but I hope they get those lost fans back. 

that drop off of course would not have anything to do with the 12,000 capacity while Headingley was been redeveloped would it ?.

35 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

They’d be moving closer to Swinton by moving to the Etihad from Heywood Road than if they stayed where they are. It’s 12 miles from Heywood Road to Swinton, it’s 8 from the Etihad to Swinton. 

Again, you’re using a club moving out of their city as a comparable, which is wrong. Swinton left Swinton 25 years ago now, a return is as unlikely as one of their fans winning the Euromillions and buying some land in Swinton for them to move on. 

I think they are looking to move back still, there was talk of sharing a facility with some secondary school or sixth form college. 

Must admit having looked on a map I didn’t realise how far North Swinton is, but it’s still not 12 miles, even by the quickest road route it’s only 11.2 and that’s far from direct. I expect it would be a lot quicker to get there along the M60 than it would be to slog through the city to Man City. 

Just now, paul hicks said:

that drop off of course would not have anything to do with the 12,000 capacity while Headingley was been redeveloped would it ?.

Sorry I hadn’t realised that the capacity had remained at 12,000 when the new stand opened. 

On 15/10/2020 at 10:23, Eddie said:

The ground was ready last season though, and crowds didn’t go back up. Some clubs (like Warrington) seem to do a lot to try to attract fans, and while I don’t live in Leeds to see what they’re doing locally I don’t think Leeds are doing anything like as much?

the crowds did actually increase by an average of 375 per super league game in a season that was pretty bad by the way  finishing 5th from bottom after winning only 2 of there first 10 games  with Leeds bottom of the league after 9 games.  

On 15/10/2020 at 11:29, Eddie said:

When you’re out and about in Leeds do you see a Rhinos presence (people wearing merch, stuff in pubs etc) or is it all Leeds Utd?

you see more people in Wakefield and cas wearing untied kit than you do in Leeds . mostly rhinos kit but then you would expect that with close on half the united supporters coming from outside of Leeds

Archived