NRL Match Thread Finals Week 3 - Saturday Penrith Panthers v South Sydney Rabbitohs

3 hours ago, Graham said:

Your points are well made . I wouldn’t want that to mask the good and great performances they have put up this season playing the sort of footy that’s a pleasure  to watch. Storm and Panthers for me were always going to be there at the end. Given that Storm were able to field virtually their best team out there today, Raiders were always facing a stiff task. I’ve enjoyed watching the teams with flair this season that includes Panthers and Raiders. Souths too have been a pleasure to watch in the last few weeks. This broken season threatened to lower the standard of rugby played. As it’s turned out the season produced a lot of entertaining games.

I agree, there has been some spectacular attacking play by the top four teams and the likes of the Roosters, and the Eels but having a weakness that's obvious to all is playing with one hand tied behind you're back in the finals.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pity it wasn't a classic but you have to just sit back and admire that Melbourne performance, coming out of the blocks so quickly and effectively putting the game to bed inside 20 minutes.

I think year with the lack of Origin/international break since the NRL restarted at the end of May the week off after winning in week 1 of the finals really was beneficial.  We saw it today and I think we will see it tomorrow with Penrith against Souths. 

And a quick well done to George Williams who was one of the Raiders best and has had a great season.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Disappointing , it was basically over after ten minutes when you look at the Storms defensive solidity . Canberra just got blew away by pretty perfect rugby . They stabilised the ship but never looked like doing anything more . Highly professional typical Storm display really . 

Penrith and South Sydney have both pulled shock late team changes ahead of their preliminary final showdown at ANZ Stadium.

Tyrone May is called into the Penrith starting side in place of Brent Naden, who starts on the bench.

Spencer Leniu (ill) is also out of the team with Mitch Kenny called onto the bench.

The Rabbitohs have also made late changes with Jed Cartwright benched, Bayley Sironen to start at left centre, Liam Knight at lock and Cameron Murray to the backrow.

In our tipping competition I’ve gone with Panthers.

Here’s the text from my preview on another thread:

View from my swivel chair:

Panthers have been the best side consistently this season. They are on a 16 match winning streak! They are Minor Premiers. Their sole aim now is to be Premiers, the main prize.

Standing in their immediate way is a handy looking Souths side who have been terrific in attack in the last few games.

Both these teams are high scoring outfits. 
What with their attacking approach and the new rules, this could well be a high scoring duel rather than the hard fought battle of defences we might expect in a knock out game with a Grand Final place at stake.

I’m tipping a Panthers win. Maybe it’s because they will or because I can’t remember them losing a game!

What do you reckon? I’m saying the points will flow....

To'o replies for the Panthers. Bunker checking... TRY!

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

A much better contest than yesterday's match. Gagai scores to make it Penrith 14:12 Souths.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived