Ref try or no try

1 hour ago, weloveyouwakefield2 said:

Please, please can we stop the ref saying it’s a try or no try when going to the video referee. Surely it would be better to let the video ref watch it and make a decision like it used to be! I can’t understand why we have it, it doesn’t work!

I wonder if a reverse would be better? If the video ref can't see a clear angle then discuss with the on field ref.

I know we used to have ref's call but rarely used it...

• 3 weeks later...
47 minutes ago, weloveyouwakefield2 said:

Another decision tonight which was totally ridiculous. Ref gives no try when it’s plainly obvious it is a try and it’s not given. Jesus wept, unbelievable 

If it was plainly obvious the VR would have awarded it. On that basis the try would not have been awarded even if the on field ref had not stated his decision 

29 minutes ago, Red Willow said:

I thought if any player off side at the kick infringes on the 10 m of the catching player then all are off side. 

I don’t see what you mean? Firstly Ben Jones Bishop caught the ball and secondly he wasn’t offside  when the ball was kicked. The referee shouldn’t influence the decision of the video referee it’s a nonsense!!

f3gms4.jpg

I wasn't talking about the players out wide including Bish.

There are 2 players off side at the time the ball is kicked. One of them runs within 10 metres of Evalds, he doesn't touch the ball but it is deemed to be interference. 

I didn't say I agreed with the rule but sure I've seen tries disallowed for this previously. I suppose it is there because it is distracting.

9 minutes ago, weloveyouwakefield2 said:

Another one Wigan score because the ref sent it up as a try but the ball didn’t actually touch the grass...

stop it!!

The ball did touch the grass. Also the referee definitely had the best view

1 minute ago, Red Willow said:

I wasn't talking about the players out wide including Bish.

There are 2 players off side at the time the ball is kicked. One of them runs within 10 metres of Evalds, he doesn't touch the ball but it is deemed to be interference. 

I didn't say I agreed with the rule but sure I've seen tries disallowed for this previously. I suppose it is there because it is distracting.

Correct. It’s in the laws of the game

18 minutes ago, weloveyouwakefield2 said:

I don’t see what you mean? Firstly Ben Jones Bishop caught the ball and secondly he wasn’t offside  when the ball was kicked. The referee shouldn’t influence the decision of the video referee it’s a nonsense!!

You do know they make independent decisions don’t you

On 15/10/2020 at 22:14, bobbruce said:

The whole point of it is if undecided we get the decision the ref would’ve made anyway. Which I think is fair enough. 

When we first used video, incidents were referred with no on-field call. Which, if there were no definitive camera angles, sometimes meant the video ref having to give his best guess on something the on-field ref had had a better view of. 

So we adopted "ref`s call", where in the absence of clear video evidence it would be sent back to the on-field ref for a decision. And eventually we arrived at the current protocol. Which functions like our law courts where a verdict is delivered, but can be overturned on appeal if sufficient evidence is produced. Not an infallible system, but the best available in an uncertain world.

Archived