Our bbc

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As unsurprising as all this is it will be surpassed by the people who will claim it's the sport's fault.

They've never been "our" BBC.

This is a direct result of those in our game who will say next to nothing in order to avoid rocking the boat.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

23 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

There's no articles on there about athletics or badminton or snooker or golf or motorsport of any kind or shinty or ice hockey or basketball or wrestling or netball or sailing or loads of other sports as well. 

Have those sports got a major final at the national stadium, that is also shown on the BBC, tomorrow?

6 minutes ago, Damien said:

Have those sports got a major final at the national stadium tomorrow?

There has been plenty of articles about the final in the last week or so on the website, there just happens to not be any near the top of the page right now but as has been pointed out there is still one a little further down. As JohnM has said, it has been widely advertised on the TV. Just another case of RL fans looking for negativity that isn't really there. 

1 minute ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

There has been plenty of articles about the final in the last week or so on the website, there just happens to not be any near the top of the page right now but as has been pointed out there is still one a little further down. As JohnM has said, it has been widely advertised on the TV. Just another case of RL fans looking for negativity that isn't really there. 

So no then.

5 minutes ago, Damien said:

So no then.

No those sports don't have a final at wembley tomorrow but as I say, let's not conveniently ignore the fact that there has been about a dozen articles about the final on the website, majority of which did appear on the main page when first published, in the last week or so. Right now on the RL section of the website there are 8 articles or features from the last 3 days that talk about the final, again majority of which were on the main page when first published but because there isn't anything near the top of the page this very moment it is disgraceful and the BBC is discriminating against RL and don't care about it and RL is gonna die a painful death! 

2 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

No those sports don't have a final at wembley tomorrow but as I say, let's not conveniently ignore the fact that there has been about a dozen articles about the final on the website, majority of which did appear on the main page when first published, in the last week or so. Right now on the RL section of the website there are 8 articles or features from the last 3 days that talk about the final, again majority of which were on the main page when first published but because there isn't anything near the top of the page this very moment it is disgraceful and the BBC is discriminating against RL and don't care about it and RL is gonna die a painful death! 

The majority did not appear on the main page, you just made that up. The bulk of RL coverage this week has been around Rob Borrow and MND, a worthy cause in its own right but quite distinct from the Challenge Cup final. Articles on the BBC Sport RL page are preaching to the converted.

You seem quite happy to compare the Rugby League Challenge Cup final coverage, a listed event played at the national stadium and shown on the BBC, to the likes of Shinty, Badminton, ice hockey, basketball ,wrestling, sailing etc. These quite frankly are very minor sports in the UK and I cant even remember the last time I saw any of these sports on the BBC, or televised for that matter. How dare RL fans expect better coverage than those sports and quite frankly its bizarre how some RL fans think that we should all be happy with whatever scraps the sport gets.

12 minutes ago, Damien said:

The majority did not appear on the main page, you just made that up. The bulk of RL coverage this week has been around Rob Borrow and MND, a worthy cause in its own right but quite distinct from the Challenge Cup final. Articles on the BBC Sport RL page are preaching to the converted.

You seem quite happy to compare the Rugby League Challenge Cup final coverage, a listed event played at the national stadium and shown on the BBC, to the likes of Shinty, Badminton, ice hockey, basketball ,wrestling, sailing etc. These quite frankly are very minor sports in the UK and I cant even remember the last time I saw any of these sports on the BBC, or televised for that matter. How dare RL fans expect better coverage than those sports and quite frankly its bizarre how some RL fans think that we should all be happy with whatever scraps the sport gets.

I didn't make that up, I saw those articles on the BBC Sport website main page, not my fault if you are blind and clearly missed them. 

The BBC had the rights to the BBL last season and streamed games on the website and red button. A number of ice hockey leagues including the NHL and the EIHL are broadcast on free to air TV on freesports, there is a lot of ice hockey coverage in this country. 

But whatever, you seem to be very happy taking an incredibly negative stance on this non-issue so I will leave you to it. Sorry for trying to be positive, I know it's illegal for anyone on this forum to show any kind of positivity so I apologise, I will be a miserable, cynical ###### hole from now on just to satisfy a few sad ####ers in a very small corner of the Internet. 

I'm probably going to get slaughtered for this, but I don't  care.  There's many a RL fan who just can't understand the smallness of the game. Either they can't understand or simply refuse to understand. Fans of Ice Hockey or Basketball have a far greater case in complaining about BBC coverage because these sports are bigger globally than RL , and coverage of British Basketball or British Ice Hockey could be a real winner , particularly with the the young black viewers in the case of basketball. Now , I love our wonderful game, but I honestly believe the existence of the heartlands gives a distorted view of its importance to like minded fans. Some seem to think that the heartlands can be replicated elsewhere and the nation is just waiting to embrace the game. RL 's heartlands is a blessing in that whatever befalls the game, it will never die, but a curse in the sense that we are forever having angst attacks because it isn't  spreading like we would like. Hopefully it will grow, but it will be long after we are all gone, if ever, that it'll be numero uno anywhere other than Oz.

7 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

I'm probably going to get slaughtered for this, but I don't  care.  There's many a RL fan who just can't understand the smallness of the game. Either they can't understand or simply refuse to understand. Fans of Ice Hockey or Basketball have a far greater case in complaining about BBC coverage because these sports are bigger globally than RL , and coverage of British Basketball or British Ice Hockey could be a real winner , particularly with the the young black viewers in the case of basketball. Now , I love our wonderful game, but I honestly believe the existence of the heartlands gives a distorted view of its importance to like minded fans. Some seem to think that the heartlands can be replicated elsewhere and the nation is just waiting to embrace the game. RL 's heartlands is a blessing in that whatever befalls the game, it will never die, but a curse in the sense that we are forever having angst attacks because it isn't  spreading like we would like. Hopefully it will grow, but it will be long after we are all gone, if ever, that it'll be numero uno anywhere other than Oz.

Post of the year HawkMan, well said good sir! 

3 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

What is bigger globally is irrelevant when it comes to UK coverage. It's a completely nonsensical argument.

Anyhow I suppose any excuse to have one of your many not very subtle digs at at RL.

17 hours ago, Oxford said:

As unsurprising as all this is it will be surpassed by the people who will claim it's the sport's fault.

They've never been "our" BBC.

This is a direct result of those in our game who will say next to nothing in order to avoid rocking the boat.

The BBC are a disgrace and have been for years.  And now as the North has a few more tory MPs it will concentrate even more on the woke-centric London.

I imaging the production of the game itself will be well made.

I hope the coverage of Burrow himself will give comfort to his family and aid appropriate charity support. As with Doddie Weir.

16 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

There's no articles on there about athletics or badminton or snooker or golf or motorsport of any kind or shinty or ice hockey or basketball or wrestling or netball or sailing or loads of other sports as well. 

Its the Challenge Cup Final !!  They worry more about womens football 3rd tier...

Or more to the point the Indian Premier League cricket which is organised for the benefit of bent bookies!

3 hours ago, Mr Frisky said:

BBC Breakfast been all over the CC final this morning.

Yeah, they were.

Unfortunately, they couldn't distinguish between footage from 1938 and 1969.

I would have thought that any professional TV presenter would be able to tell them apart by the quality alone.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

24 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

Who watches Breakfast TV? Lots of people will however click on their phones to click on the sports news.

Just as well we’re the top non soccer story right now then. Just behind the Merseyside and Old Firm derbies.

Decent preview during the Five Live sports news this morning as well.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Archived