Our bbc

21 minutes ago, Griff said:

I take it you're a late riser, Rupert.

No, I get up to feed the dogs.  But i dont watch tv, or if i do i check to see if Talking Pictures has a good film on.  I like to look at 1950s streets to see how easy it was to park.  

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
48 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

The BBC are a disgrace and have been for years.  And now as the North has a few more tory MPs it will concentrate even more on the woke-centric London.

Your assessment of the Beeb's quality is spot on and only spoiled by the Label/stereotyping nonsense we've all engaged in for far too long.

If anything Aunty is more Westminster - centric as the revolving doors for employment between media and politics is truly fantastic evidence.

Sorry if this gets the thread locked in advance, but my only concern here is how the same old same old poor treatment of our sport continues.

Their attitudes about us is about them not us, and we have far too many who are all too willing to say nowt and accept things as they are.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Even the terminally fossilised Radio 4 sports report had a section on Rob Burrow and the CC Final.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Cup feature on the BBC1 news at 1pm and a positive reference to league in the News Quiz when an Aussie referred to "rugby" (thanks to Andrew Maxwell for getting that comment in).

And the sad but inspiring doc on Rob Burrows before 3 1/2 hours of coverage of the final on BBC1.

In amongst the negatives (and there are undoubtedly many) there are lots of positives.

This is disappointing because it's one bit of the BBC undermining another bit.

Look at today's coverage: we have four hours of uninterrupted rugby league on BBC One, with a good set of pundits and a top-notch presenter in Chapman. We can't with a straight face suggest that the people making RL programmes on the BBC are doing us down - BBC RL coverage has never been better.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

2 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

My heads fell off with the BBC suggesting Harry Smith is in with a chance of getting selected. 

Agree, the correct nomenclature is 'Young 'arry Smith'.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

19 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Can’t argue with this coverage. Lengthy, free, ‘celeb’ advertising for the World Cup.

As it should, its the Challenge Cup!  And the BBC pay (a pittance) for it.  But how much coverage will they give to the Grand Final?  Or any widespread coverage of league games?

The BBC is not simply London-centric.  It obsessed about the USA.  Some poor teacher got his head cut off in Paris, but the BBC are more interested in what hair lacquer Trump uses.

1 hour ago, Rupert Prince said:

Who watches Breakfast TV? Lots of people will however click on their phones to click on the sports news.

Over 11 million a week watch BBC 1 Breakfast TV. 

For many years I have been the biggest critic of BBC News and Current Affairs and I continue to be so. 

However, their current coverage of our sport on local radio, national radio, local TV and national TV is in my opinion, the best it has been for many years. 

4 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

No, I get up to feed the dogs.  But i dont watch tv, or if i do i check to see if Talking Pictures has a good film on.  I like to look at 1950s streets to see how easy it was to park.  

Always watch Talking Pictures.. as you say its great to watch the period scenes as many are UK films as distinct from Hollywood blockbuster USA focused.  Although they do show some old American.

8 minutes ago, redjonn said:

Always watch Talking Pictures.. as you say its great to watch the period scenes as many are UK films as distinct from Hollywood blockbuster USA focused.  Although they do show some old American.

To most organisations, having a tiny budget would be a problem. Talking Pictures have turned it into their USP.

Showing the stuff they can afford instead of the usual well-known titles has been their strength, because nobody else shows those films.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 minute ago, redjonn said:

Some are a bit silly even if they are good period pieces, but some are very good. As an example for us northerners, Hell is a City, with Stanley Baker. Set in gritty smoky Manchester.

4 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

Some are a bit silly even if they are good period pieces, but some are very good. As an example for us northerners, Hell is a City, with Stanley Baker. Set in gritty smoky Manchester.

I watched a documentary on TPTV the other night about Mercedes-Benz, which was a great example of a period-piece. Zero mention of Nazi support, not even the slightest hint why they abruptly stopped their racing programme in 1955, just relentless commercial-minded positivity and a big bucket of whitewash. :kolobok_biggrin:

Ralph Waldo Emerson

28 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

I watched a documentary on TPTV the other night about Mercedes-Benz, which was a great example of a period-piece. Zero mention of Nazi support, not even the slightest hint why they abruptly stopped their racing programme in 1955, just relentless commercial-minded positivity and a big bucket of whitewash. :kolobok_biggrin:

I knew it was on, but did not watch because of what you say.  Arguably I should have in order to take in the era and what was being said.

1 minute ago, Rupert Prince said:

I knew it was on, but did not watch because of what you say.  Arguably I should have in order to take in the era and what was being said.

To avoid derailing the thread, I have created a new one on AOB for TPTV.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

As previous said I like to watch the period aspects as its often the timeframe of myself growing up.

You get some gritty and, for want of a better description and stereotypical  working class reality UK films - I think European film makers get this stuff done more.   Although more normally more higher income bracket movies or you may say middle/upper class.

Anyway when nowt else to watch you can always find something on Talking Pictures - I think my grandsons pocket money is more than the TV channel budget.

1 minute ago, Futtocks said:

To avoid derailing the thread, I have created a new one on AOB for TPTV.

Perhaps we should ring them up and ask them to play the Pathe News clips for Challenge Cups between 1929 and 1965. 

There is no need to play the 1966 one... or the 1970 for that matter.

Let's not remember we're not a national sport. Even if clubs exist from one end of England to the other and quite a few more besides. Let's blame our game for poor attitudes of others. Let's put everything on ourselves for media not covering the sport. Lets ignore our viewing figures and everything else and accept our lot.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Back on topic, I am not fan of the BBC but I thought today's coverage was superb, pitched just at the right level for the audience and not agenda driven like SKY.

Claire Balding spoke some truths and if your trying to get more coverage Claire more power to your elbow.

Today IMO was the standard Rugby League TV coverage should be all the time.

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

Archived