Umyla Hanley

Young Hanley may have spilled a couple of high balls but overall I thought he looked technically very good with a good passing game.

When you watch his junior highlights he clearly has a very good running game with speed and elusiveness.

I think the key is how he develops physically. If he can add some size and strength while keeping the speed I think he can become a very good player.

I look forward to seeing how good he is at 20/21 as he continues to develop.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

3 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Young Hanley may have spilled a couple of high balls but overall I thought he looked technically very good with a good passing game.

When you watch his junior highlights he clearly has a very good running game with speed and elusiveness.

I think the key is how he develops physically. If he can add some size and strength while keeping the speed I think he can become a very good player.

I look forward to seeing how good he is at 20/21 as he continues to develop.

People forget that Ellery and his generation were just thrown in and left to get on with in. Few games were televised and the level of scrutiny was minimal. They could make as many gaffs and missed tackles as they liked.

Roll forward 30-40 years and people are judging a whole potential career on a 18 year-old's shaky debut. Give the guy a chance.

He's 18 years of age, the last thing you need at that age is negativity. He needs encouragement, firstly off his parents which I'm sure he's getting. These kids need time to grow and develop, Rome wasn't built in a day. It'd be great to have have a Hanley flying down that rugby league pitch again. 

On 17/10/2020 at 09:53, Toby Chopra said:

He's only 18, give him a chance! 

It’s an observation based on watching him numerous times for the u19’s and not on his first team debut. He’s a good young player but not a great one IMO. He will develop and as I say, I could see him making it at Wigan but I’m not convinced he’ll get to the very top (Internationals). 

People writing him off based on his first team debut are wrong. The side got totally dominated and I’m not sure I’ve seen a fullback have to deal with as many high kicks before. He dealt with most really well but dropped a couple. It happens and the rest of his game was sound. It didn’t alter my thinking on him in the slightest. 

On 17/10/2020 at 11:54, Phil said:

You said “ he couldn’t catch a cold” hardly just an observation more like condemnation but hell yeah let’s shatter a young lads confidence 

Exactly, just like our young winger Trindall against Warrington last week had a poor night under the high ball but I didn't slag him off for it.

On 17/10/2020 at 18:19, Nate90 said:

How did Ellery even end up making a Wiganer child under twenty years ago

well he was always brilliant at squeezing through tight gaps 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

Hanley is a very good young prospect. Not to the same extent that Sam Tomkins was at the same age, but then 18 isn't exactly any age to be deciding who will or who won't become an outstanding player. Just look at some of the England academy sides from 10-20 years ago. Some quality names in among those that always looked destined for great things but there are also many who did little of note. Likewise, there are those who weren't highly thought of as teenagers but developed into very good players.

You just have to support the young players and develop them into the best they can be. Currently he's one of the best prospects of his age group. He may continue to improve. He may not.

Criticising him for his performance in the Saints game is stupid though. It was pretty obvious he'd be peppered with high balls and that he'd end up dropping a couple. There are established fullbacks who would drop a couple of kicks in that exact same situation. It's rare that you'd have to deal with so many straight up kicks, challenged catches and catches where you're pinned back on the goal line as there were in that game. Our kick pressure was poor because the pack struggled to contain Saints.

Besides, he's not even guaranteed to stay at fullback. He played most of his junior rugby at centre and has played on the wing too. He's got enough talent that dropping a couple of kicks against the strongest side in the competition isn't something to worry about given the rest of his play was pretty good.

Listening to the 40/20 podcast while waiting at the hospital this morning Phil Caplan made a valid point. It’s great to see the young talent getting some SL exposure but what happens next season if some of these guys are too old (or too good) for the academy, there’s likely to be no reserve grade and season long loans to Championship clubs might be out of the question depending upon whether the lower leagues can get restarted next year. Will some be on the radar of NRL scouts or worse still RU? It’s great to see these young guys making their way in the game, but I would hate to see the likes of Hanley in a RU shirt. Maybe if Toronto are reinstated in 2021 (and of course no international travel bans), then maybe 4-5 could go out on a season long loan (providing TWP can pay them of course), better that than losing them to RU.

5 hours ago, Oldbear said:

Listening to the 40/20 podcast while waiting at the hospital this morning Phil Caplan made a valid point. It’s great to see the young talent getting some SL exposure but what happens next season if some of these guys are too old (or too good) for the academy, there’s likely to be no reserve grade and season long loans to Championship clubs might be out of the question depending upon whether the lower leagues can get restarted next year. Will some be on the radar of NRL scouts or worse still RU? It’s great to see these young guys making their way in the game, but I would hate to see the likes of Hanley in a RU shirt. Maybe if Toronto are reinstated in 2021 (and of course no international travel bans), then maybe 4-5 could go out on a season long loan (providing TWP can pay them of course), better that than losing them to RU.

But if you believe the “experts” on here we don’t produce enough players for the existing clubs,never mind exporting them to other leagues/codes.

On ‎18‎/‎10‎/‎2020 at 18:47, WN83 said:

It’s an observation based on watching him numerous times for the u19’s and not on his first team debut. He’s a good young player but not a great one IMO. He will develop and as I say, I could see him making it at Wigan but I’m not convinced he’ll get to the very top (Internationals). 

People writing him off based on his first team debut are wrong. The side got totally dominated and I’m not sure I’ve seen a fullback have to deal with as many high kicks before. He dealt with most really well but dropped a couple. It happens and the rest of his game was sound. It didn’t alter my thinking on him in the slightest. 

What do you look for when deciding on a good young player and a great one?

Forget Chuck and Chad I am the real legend killer

9 minutes ago, gillmeister said:

What do you look for when deciding on a good young player and a great one?

Indeed.

At 18/19 and even playing with a first team, you would not expect him to be selected at full back against a full strength Saints team, never mind playing in a academy/reserve side.

I remember Wigan making a young Connelly look stupid in a cup final. 

5 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

Indeed.

At 18/19 and even playing with a first team, you would not expect him to be selected at full back against a full strength Saints team, never mind playing in a academy/reserve side.

I remember Wigan making a young Connelly look stupid in a cup final. 

I was at that final and even as a Wigan fan I can recall being genuinely feeling sorry for the lad,he certainly didn't let it effect him,had a wonderful career as have many sportsmen who had a rough start to their careers.

34 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

I was at that final and even as a Wigan fan I can recall being genuinely feeling sorry for the lad,he certainly didn't let it effect him,had a wonderful career as have many sportsmen who had a rough start to their careers.

It can even be a help. Too much success too young can go to a player's head. But if he has the right mentality and a good coach, a baptism of fire can be a formative experience.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

My go to example of not judging players too soon is Ian Gildart and Denis Betts.

When I was playing NW Counties u17's and u19's many years ago these two were the star players from Leigh that we would play. When they signed for Wigan it was Gildart who was tipped for stardom and he made his mark on the Wigan first team before Betts.

Of course Gildart had a solid enough career but Betts went on to be one of the best modern forwards with 38 international caps.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

17 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

It can even be a help. Too much success too young can go to a player's head. But if he has the right mentality and a good coach, a baptism of fire can be a formative experience.

Yeah,being rejected by a whole host of Sydney NRL clubs at 18 didn't hold Thurstons career back too much.

2 hours ago, Davo5 said:

Yeah,being rejected by a whole host of Sydney NRL clubs at 18 didn't hold Thurstons career back too much.

Judging kids at 17/18 is really tough, everyone develops, both physically and mentally at different speeds. I know it’s a different sport, but the NFL has seen a huge number of the games stars, both past and present, follow the path of receiving no scholarship offers coming out of high school and having to settle for walk on roles at smaller universities, then fighting their way through training camps as low round or undrafted draft picks, yet once they make the pro roster at age 21 they are ready. I’m also sure we can all name young RL players who looked amazing as a 17 year old academy player yet by age 21 they were out of the game.

3 hours ago, Dunbar said:

My go to example of not judging players too soon is Ian Gildart and Denis Betts.

When I was playing NW Counties u17's and u19's many years ago these two were the star players from Leigh that we would play. When they signed for Wigan it was Gildart who was tipped for stardom and he made his mark on the Wigan first team before Betts.

Of course Gildart had a solid enough career but Betts went on to be one of the best modern forwards with 38 international caps.

Who were you playing for?

030910105148.jpg

http://www.wiganstpats.org

Producing Players Since 1910

26 minutes ago, The 4 of Us said:

Who were you playing for?

Wigan Spring View

Archived