Jai Field to Wigan

Jai Field confirms he has signed for Wigan next year. I don't know anything about him but it seems he's not exactly tearing the house down in the NRL, mainly a bit part player. Anyone know any more?

With Leuluai, French, Hastings and Smith already fighting for the positions, it suggests at least one of the antipodeans will be off, but maybe even all three. 

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't seen much of him, but he's pretty quick.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

25 minutes ago, Hughsehhh said:

Jai Field confirms he has signed for Wigan next year. I don't know anything about him but it seems he's not exactly tearing the house down in the NRL, mainly a bit part player. Anyone know any more?

With Leuluai, French, Hastings and Smith already fighting for the positions, it suggests at least one of the antipodeans will be off, but maybe even all three. 

If Smith is to develop then hopefully a number of those listed will be leaving 

I watched him in the Dragons NYC and him and Dufty were real excitement machines . Very quick and would dummy and shoot through the line . I expected him to progress like Dufty but Mary never gave him the chance for whatever reason and he moved to Parra . He’s always been a reserve choice but the attacking attributes he has will make him a potent weapon in SL .

This is when I first saw him play. I remember the third try in particular.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

4 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

This is when I first saw him play. I remember the third try in particular.

Yes indeed.  Hopefully he can defend and catch the high  ball.

The suggestion is that of the 4 players listed 2 are going to the NRL and a third migbt be retiring. Is Field an organiser or a finisher?

Another poor signing after this years flops Burgess & Clark,wasn't wanted at St George after only making 6 appearances in 3 seasons and hasn't done much for Parra this year when called up to first grade,even if he's come cheap it's a waste of a quota spot.

Watched some of his 2019 highlights on YouTube this morning and he looks to have a good turn of pace and attacks well but these were highlights and YouTube doesn’t show “lowlights” so I haven’t seen how he defends a high ball at fullback or what his defence in general is like but a French, Hastings and Field three at FB and in the halves, based off the few minutes I’ve seen of him, could be good. 

I’ve never been sold by him, but he’s a decent player and I can see why pundits thought he’d do well in SL. He’s got pace to burn and is quite off the cuff which would suit SL better than NRL. His defence isn’t great but it’s average for a half. 

The reason he hasn’t cut it in NRL is that he’s not an organiser and hasn’t been able to control a game or lead a team around the park. Think Richie Myler in his younger days. Combined with Smith, playing a controlling half and leading this kicking game, they could be a potent pairing 

24 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Another poor signing after this years flops Burgess & Clark,wasn't wanted at St George after only making 6 appearances in 3 seasons and hasn't done much for Parra this year when called up to first grade,even if he's come cheap it's a waste of a quota spot.

I think he may surprise a few a be very good signing. Looks a lot more suited to SL style.

You could of said the above about Bevan French and Jackson Hastings who were both unwanted by their respective nrl teams and playing in reserve grade before coming to SL.

11 minutes ago, AB90 said:

I think he may surprise a few a be very good signing. Looks a lot more suited to SL style.

You could of said the above about Bevan French and Jackson Hastings who were both unwanted by their respective nrl teams and playing in reserve grade before coming to SL.

I’d be surprised if he’s anything other than bang average.

French was a proven try scorer in the NRL despite being out of favour at Parra and Hastings problems were more off field rather than ability with his fallout with Manly golden boy DCE effectively ending his time there.

Field hasn’t shown anything in first grade since his 2017 debut and but for a late season injury he wouldn’t have had enough games to get a work visa.

This always needs repeating, but Christ knows why, because anyone who isn't a foetus must have seen this happen hundreds of times - not all the big-name NRL signings are successful in SL. And not all the lesser-known NRL signings are duds in SL.

Wait and see.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

He's a half back and only 23 - He may not have shown enough so far to be able to go to Wigan as one of the top teams, but he is far from some of the other players that have come over in recent times. 

He is young, and is coming here with a point to prove.

On 17/10/2020 at 10:42, Davo5 said:

Another one Dav who is surplus to requirement in the NRL in that no club sees him as first team player, so pack up and ship out over here, yes our top clubs are desperate to sign journeymen from down under other than bringing on and through our own talent. 

The club will obviously be hoping it's a shrewd signing. There are players who weren't rated in the NRL but did okay in Super League. Just look at Blake Green. He's one of the best signings Wigan have made in the last 10 years but had he not joined Hull KR his career could have been very different.

I'm happy to see how he goes. Harry Smith is a good young half but not the most direct. We still have Josh Woods on the books but he's similar to Smith in how he plays the game. Jake Shorrocks hasn't really cut it in the first team, so I'd say it's worth the risk to bring in a pacey and direct half from overseas as he offers something we don't have in the academy and could be hard to find for the right price in Super League.

1 hour ago, EagleEyePie said:

The club will obviously be hoping it's a shrewd signing. There are players who weren't rated in the NRL but did okay in Super League. Just look at Blake Green. He's one of the best signings Wigan have made in the last 10 years but had he not joined Hull KR his career could have been very different.

I'm happy to see how he goes. Harry Smith is a good young half but not the most direct. We still have Josh Woods on the books but he's similar to Smith in how he plays the game. Jake Shorrocks hasn't really cut it in the first team, so I'd say it's worth the risk to bring in a pacey and direct half from overseas as he offers something we don't have in the academy and could be hard to find for the right price in Super League.

Exactly, on a cap of £1.9m then you have to take a punt on an underdog with time to show his potential. Field is young still and has something to prove. It is well worth a shot from Wigan.

15 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

You wouldn’t unless you watch NSW Cup. He seemed to be mostly wearing 1 in the clips I saw. 

I do keep an eye on Dragons NSW Cup and every game he played last year was in the halves with Clune or Nicholls with young Sailor at fullback 

9 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I do keep an eye on Dragons NSW Cup and every game he played last year was in the halves with Clune or Nicholls with young Sailor at fullback 

There may now be an opening at full back given recent events 😕 

Archived