Grand Final will NOT be at Old Trafford

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The interesting thing for me is that SL want to keep some flexibility on the date incase there's a COVID outbreak just beforehand. 

This is smart. We dodged a bullet with Salford in the CCF so best to wait until two full teams can play in the GF, or close enough, for our flagship game. 

The union mob have got a big COVID problem in thier final with Wasps and might have to restore a previously defeated team, as they can't extend the schedule. 

Think there was always going to be uncertainty about the GF being at Old Trafford. I think it would be easier to have it at a RL venue as they have done with regular SL rounds. Obvious choices would be Headingley, St Helens and Warrington but I think it has to be a neutral venue, would be unfair and look unprofessional having Saints play at the Totally wicked in a GF

May I suggest John Smith's Stadium, Huddersfield - mid way between Lancashire and Yorkshire in the interests of balance.

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

It’s fair enough, I suppose. The Premier League fixtures are a lot more fixed in stone than our games are. It’s a shame because it’s a now iconic venue and produced many a good night. 

I’d still hope, even with fans not there, that we don’t just settle for anywhere and not just at the venue of a Super League club. 

16 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

Soccer pitch in season so same issues as OT imo. Leeds, Warrington, Saints - one of them wont be in.

That’s what I thought but interestingly they did inquire about St James’ Park so maybe they’ll choose a soccer stadium if it’s is affordable

I think it should be played at an iconic venue despite being no fans there,  it's half the pleasure for the players to perform at a huge stadium.  So we're looking for a Premier League ground without the complications of European football,  so Newcastle is the obvious  choice.  But with no fans, it's a tv event so it doesn't have to be up North at all.

Murrayfield,  Millennium Stadium,  or even White Hart Lane....on the NFL pitch. I've been on the stadium tour and even though they didn't trundle out the NFL pitch for us, we saw where it was housed,  and the dimensions look okay. Obviously for NFL the playing surface is narrow,  but the pitch as a whole is much wider. First competitive game on the new pitch for the GF ? That'll hit the headlines. 

42 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

Soccer pitch in season so same issues as OT imo. Leeds, Warrington, Saints - one of them wont be in.

23 minutes ago, Mr Plow said:

That’s what I thought but interestingly they did inquire about St James’ Park so maybe they’ll choose a soccer stadium if it’s is affordable

The problem isn't just that its a football stadium its that the week before and after the GF date is scheduled for European Football, that could have impact on lower division grounds like Hull or Hudds too as they tend to play on European nights. Newcastle are in neither of those categories hence the availability inquiry.

Salford would seem to be the obvious solution to me. After all it won't be far for either of the finalists to travel, will it?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

It will make a nice change to play it on a safe playing area.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

4 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

We desperately need to have it on a big ground, it’s incredibly small time to be playing it at Headingley or the KC. 

Au contraire.  If no-one can come, it may as well be played at Lock Lane.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

Archived