Grand Final will NOT be at Old Trafford

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Scubby said:

How about a two-legged GF with one at each home ground of the finalists? Left field suggestion but this is a whacky season. Also would be great TV given there are going to be no spectators. 

I mean, it’s an added game but...I’d rather this than having it on a neutral venue that isn’t a big venue. 

2 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

I mean, it’s an added game but...I’d rather this than having it on a neutral venue that isn’t a big venue. 

That's where I'm going. To have a GF at Salford or Huddersfield is a complete let down. At least two-legged is novel and creates excitement on the aggregate. This season will always be an * 

That was how the old UEFA cup finals used to be IIRC 

3 hours ago, HawkMan said:

I think it should be played at an iconic venue despite being no fans there,  it's half the pleasure for the players to perform at a huge stadium.  So we're looking for a Premier League ground without the complications of European football,  so Newcastle is the obvious  choice.  But with no fans, it's a tv event so it doesn't have to be up North at all.

Murrayfield,  Millennium Stadium,  or even White Hart Lane....on the NFL pitch. I've been on the stadium tour and even though they didn't trundle out the NFL pitch for us, we saw where it was housed,  and the dimensions look okay. Obviously for NFL the playing surface is narrow,  but the pitch as a whole is much wider. First competitive game on the new pitch for the GF ? That'll hit the headlines. 

Spot on. People said the same about the Cup as they are saying on this thread now. If it was down to them today's game would be at Huddersfield and would be doing a disservice to Salford and Leeds. 

A prestigious venue is required. 

4 hours ago, Damien said:

To a large extent this doesn't really matter if crowds aren't going to be allowed. Playing at Old Trafford is more of a prestige thing compared to a run of the mill SL ground.

Agreed, play it at Wath Brow.

I mean it.

2 hours ago, Dave T said:

Spot on. People said the same about the Cup as they are saying on this thread now. If it was down to them today's game would be at Huddersfield and would be doing a disservice to Salford and Leeds. 

A prestigious venue is required. 

I disagree. What is the point of a "prestigious ground" with no crowd. I would agree that it needs to be a quality ground but why prestigious?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

Today's cup final is far better for being at Wembley today. Remember that before devaluing the Grand Final by playing at a regular ground. 

Yes and that's what I meant by the prestige of Old Trafford. A final should be a special occasion, fans or not. Today still managed that.

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

Today's cup final is far better for being at Wembley today. Remember that before devaluing the Grand Final by playing at a regular ground. 

100% agree. It made it much better to watch, and you could also sense the effect it was having on the players playing on the big stage, even without a crowd. 

In fact I'm glad we got to witness the correctness of sticking with the CCF at Wembley before Superleague makes a rash decision to downgrade. 

The thing about Wembley was it was expected to have a crowd there when they committed to it.

Ethihad and Old Trafford aren't available so I suspect they will seek to keep it in house. My view in the 125th year it should come down to either Huddersfield or Headingley (obviously the former if Leeds make the play offs): the birthplace of the game or the game's most important historical venue.

4 hours ago, Scubby said:

That's where I'm going. To have a GF at Salford or Huddersfield is a complete let down. At least two-legged is novel and creates excitement on the aggregate. This season will always be an * 

That was how the old UEFA cup finals used to be IIRC 

hate to win a cup on points difference.

Archived