Grand Final will NOT be at Old Trafford

1 hour ago, Blind side johnny said:

I disagree. What is the point of a "prestigious ground" with no crowd. I would agree that it needs to be a quality ground but why prestigious?

You are putting on your best show. Today was better AT Wembley than at a normal ground

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

It would be so wasteful to needlessly pay to hire a football ground. We should definitely keep any stadium hire costs in rugby league.

That’s just small time, it’s our biggest game and should be at a venue befitting that status, otherwise why not play it in Sefton Park that would be free. 

1 minute ago, Eddie said:

That’s just small time, it’s our biggest game and should be at a venue befitting that status, otherwise why not play it in Sefton Park that would be free. 

Exactly and it’s a slap in the face to the players, missing out on playing at a prestigious venue, as it would have been if the “few” got their way today and we played away from Wembley. 

17 hours ago, Eddie said:

Being sensible, it has to be a ground that can provide suitable and safe facilities.  Somewhere that can be safe for the players, their staff and of course our TV production staff.  It needs to be an arena for TV, that all.

Once again the RL, presumably the SL, are messing around and not taking an early and sensible decision. I would be surprised if any football club would like to stage a rugby game in November.  We would have to pay for the privilige, all on top of making no money from the fans.  The clear obvious choice is Headingly and as a Wigan fan I dont care 2 hoots or even Cootes if its not neutral.

Never mind "prestige"... Do people not even want to recogise that the game will already lose a load if money from the lack of takings as it is?  Why oh why throw more money down the drain of a soccer club, when it could stay in house?

13 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Exactly and it’s a slap in the face to the players, missing out on playing at a prestigious venue, as it would have been if the “few” got their way today and we played away from Wembley. 

Who’s going to pay for it? Normally the venue hire would come from ticket sales, are the grand finalists going to take a further pay cut for the honour of playing at old Trafford?

1 minute ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Who’s going to pay for it? Normally the venue hire would come from ticket sales, are the grand finalists going to take a further pay cut for the honour of playing at old Trafford?

Super League/RFL, who will pay for a less prestigious venue as well. 

Presumably Wembley didnt charge too much this year, as I doubt the final would have been there if they had. Obviously with no fans stadium costs are much reduced. With no tenants maybe Wembley could be an option again? It's as prestigious as you can get and it's not like fans are going to be inconvenienced and have to travel to London at short notice. 

I agree that today's final was better for being at Wembley. The same applies for the Grand Final and a 'prestigious' venue is preferred.

However, we do need to be mindful of costs. If we can use Huddersfield for free or a nominal cost, or Newcastle for £100,000+, I'd do the former.

The sport is financially in a perilous state. Remember, clubs are usually selling season tickets now and brining in income. This year, they aren't. That is combined with a lack of income this year. We simply cannot afford to spend money unnecessarily.

3 hours ago, Dave T said:

You are putting on your best show. Today was better AT Wembley than at a normal ground

Agreed, but the point being made here is that the traditional prestige venue for the match is likely to be unavailable

Profile is very important: this has always been rugby league's problem.

It's not just a case of "it costs this much money." It's a case of "it creates this much profile, which will contribute to us making money down the line."

The profile the game would produce by playing one of its flagship games, its season finale, at the home ground of one of the clubs would be poor. It would also have a negative impression on many sports fans. We are rugby league fans, it doesn't matter to us: we'll watch it on a beach!

It's a final. It should have that big game feel, fans or no fans.

Millennium Stadium suggestion sounds great!

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

10 hours ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

I would ask the players, and try and do what they want. The experience from the couch will be the same wherever they play.

I think one of the points I keep coming back to is the prestige and also how it looks for the TV viewers. I don't agree the experience is the same either way. 

The experience watching the match yesterday was far better than the semi final. It felt like a major event and for anybody coming across the game on TV they will have known it was a major event. 

If people are concerned about costs, I'd like to think we may be in a decent place to negotiate as we have many options. 

Archived