Grand Final will NOT be at Old Trafford

7 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I think one of the points I keep coming back to is the prestige and also how it looks for the TV viewers. I don't agree the experience is the same either way. 

The experience watching the match yesterday was far better than the semi final. It felt like a major event and for anybody coming across the game on TV they will have known it was a major event. 

If people are concerned about costs, I'd like to think we may be in a decent place to negotiate as we have many options. 

We can overthink it a bit. As long as the ground is decent, and can't be mocked as too parochial, then we'll be fine.

The Exeter win that's leading the press ahead of the Merseyside derby was at Bristol City's ground.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It really needs to be at one of the big football grounds, as we haven’t got our own national stadium and I wouldn’t particularly want to pay the RFU to use Twickenham considering their behaviour over the last 125 years. Elland Road, Ethiad, Anfield, St James Park, Spurs, Arsenal, Carrow Road or the Olympic Stadium would do. Huddersfield or Bolton would be tin pot. 

27 minutes ago, Eddie said:

It really needs to be at one of the big football grounds, as we haven’t got our own national stadium and I wouldn’t particularly want to pay the RFU to use Twickenham considering their behaviour over the last 125 years. Elland Road, Ethiad, Anfield, St James Park, Spurs, Arsenal, Carrow Road or the Olympic Stadium would do. Huddersfield or Bolton would be tin pot. 

I think we’re planning on a 28th November final of which the Etihad, Olympic Stadium and Emirates are in use. Manchester United aren’t playing at home but that is sandwiched between two midweek home European games, so I’m guessing that’s a factor in why we’re not there. 

Anfield, like Old Trafford, is in use both midweeks either side of the scheduled Grand Final. St James’, from your list is probably the biggest that is available and doesn’t have commitments either side of the 28th. 

50 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Carrow Road,Really ???

18 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

I think we’re planning on a 28th November final of which the Etihad, Olympic Stadium and Emirates are in use. Manchester United aren’t playing at home but that is sandwiched between two midweek home European games, so I’m guessing that’s a factor in why we’re not there. 

Anfield, like Old Trafford, is in use both midweeks either side of the scheduled Grand Final. St James’, from your list is probably the biggest that is available and doesn’t have commitments either side of the 28th. 

Good research! Even the Stadium of Light would be ok, though it looks a bit shabby these days from what I’ve seen on tv. Just not a club rugby league ground. 

30 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

And from the report it suggests Newcastle United want to charge through the nose for it. 

Huddersfield Town are at home on the 28th too, Hull City are at home on the 1st. 

2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

We can overthink it a bit. As long as the ground is decent, and can't be mocked as too parochial, then we'll be fine.

The Exeter win that's leading the press ahead of the Merseyside derby was at Bristol City's ground.

I'm cool with the likes of Bolton or similar. Basically not one of our own grounds tbh. 

38 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Tbh I don't get this flexibility argument, is it that they want it available over 2 weekends?

I suspect it is financial tbh. If they normally get any kind of share of income that is gone. And if income is minimal they won't want their pitch used. 

I really don't get some of the comments in this thread

RU had their European Champions Cup final at Ashton Gate - and I don't see people complaining. It's all over the media this morning. Yet when we think about having our final at Bolton it is considered 'tinpot'...😳

22 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I suspect it is financial tbh. If they normally get any kind of share of income that is gone. And if income is minimal they won't want their pitch used. 

Tbf OT have apparently reduced the price offered normally and we have an excellent relationship with them. The only issue I see here is the European football either side of the 28th that is forcing Man U's hand here.

Thankfully, it looks unlikely to be Bolton or the KC, which is good news. Both could be at home on the weekend of 28th November in the FA Cup and there’s likely to be as little as ten days notice as to whether they would be at home on that day. 

I think the most obvious option is Elland Road. We have a history there and the stadium is available on that weekend. I’d rather something better than that but I think it’s what we’ll end up with. 

8 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Profile is very important: this has always been rugby league's problem.

It's not just a case of "it costs this much money." It's a case of "it creates this much profile, which will contribute to us making money down the line."

The profile the game would produce by playing one of its flagship games, its season finale, at the home ground of one of the clubs would be poor. It would also have a negative impression on many sports fans. We are rugby league fans, it doesn't matter to us: we'll watch it on a beach!

It's a final. It should have that big game feel, fans or no fans.

Millennium Stadium suggestion sounds great!

In these times I think that pragmatism would be recognised as much more sensible than profile. What is the point of a glorious, wasteful gesture when the game is in financial dire straits?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

26 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Thankfully, it looks unlikely to be Bolton or the KC, which is good news. Both could be at home on the weekend of 28th November in the FA Cup and there’s likely to be as little as ten days notice as to whether they would be at home on that day. 

I think the most obvious option is Elland Road. We have a history there and the stadium is available on that weekend. I’d rather something better than that but I think it’s what we’ll end up with. 

Agreed, that's a likely outcome and probably the football club after MUFC that RL has best relations with stadium wise

44 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Tbf OT have apparently reduced the price offered normally and we have an excellent relationship with them. The only issue I see here is the European football either side of the 28th that is forcing Man U's hand here.

For OT, and all major soccer grounds, biosecurity will be a major issue. I can't see any of the big clubs wanting to risk the health of their players just for the sake of renting out their ground for a one-off match.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Archived