Grand Final will NOT be at Old Trafford

3 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Agreed, that's a likely outcome and probably the football club after MUFC that RL has best relations with stadium wise

I've mentioned it before but what is wrong with the J J Bell stadium? No major soccer club to call dibs on the booking, it looks fine on TV and is conveniently situated.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

For OT, and all major soccer grounds, biosecurity will be a major issue. I can't see any of the big clubs wanting to risk the health of their players just for the sake of renting out their ground for a one-off match.

Biosecurity hasn't been mentioned once in this discussion (by MUFC) and we have teams sharing stadiums already. This is down to pitch availability, nothing more or less.

2 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

I've mentioned it before but what is wrong with the J J Bell stadium? No major soccer club to call dibs on the booking, it looks fine on TV and is conveniently situated.

Don't think it looks all that great on TV frankly, with the stand on TV being a 1/4 sized and in any case is shared with Sale RU too, which is outbreak central atm.

7 minutes ago, Scubby said:

We no longer have to have a Saturday night GF though. It is not a fan event any more.

Its a TV event still. By that logic lets play it on a Tuesday, keep the result a secret and broadcast it at prime time instead of Eastenders.

15 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

For OT, and all major soccer grounds, biosecurity will be a major issue. I can't see any of the big clubs wanting to risk the health of their players just for the sake of renting out their ground for a one-off match.

For the right price, I agree. But options should first be to explore a more prestigious venue. It's the biggest game of the season.

I'd be very disappointed if it was at a home club of a team.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

8 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Its a TV event still. By that logic lets play it on a Tuesday, keep the result a secret and broadcast it at prime time instead of Eastenders.

What I mean is that Sky may want it on a different day now they can pick and choose. The Champions League final has often been on a Wednesday, Friday night may be preferred. The stadium turnaround is pretty quick when no fans are there I would imagine.

2 minutes ago, Scubby said:

What I mean is that Sky may want it on a different day now they can pick and choose. The Champions League final has often been on a Wednesday, Friday night may be preferred. The stadium turnaround is pretty quick when no fans are there I would imagine.

Possibly, though I think the game will still want its showpiece to be on at a time it warrants.

As for turnaround, its precisely that which is making MUFC an unviable option as they have midweek European games (with all the dressing the stadium needs for that). If we need flexibility over dates then most football grounds are going to be unviable, the only likely ones being the non European placed premier League teams that have an away game the weekend of the 28th.

13 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Possibly, though I think the game will still want its showpiece to be on at a time it warrants.

As for turnaround, its precisely that which is making MUFC an unviable option as they have midweek European games (with all the dressing the stadium needs for that). If we need flexibility over dates then most football grounds are going to be unviable, the only likely ones being the non European placed premier League teams that have an away game the weekend of the 28th.

Or national stadia, like Cardiff (or dare I say Wembley again).

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

19 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Or national stadia, like Cardiff (or dare I say Wembley again).

Good point! Neither would be a bad option though isn't Cardiff being used as a nightingale hospital?

Also I think of the non european premier league grounds we can reasonably discount anywhere south of Sheffield leaving us with Elland Road, Bramall Lane, Goodison and St James's park. 

27 minutes ago, Scubby said:

I would imagine that is a 'non' starter. The way France's spread is going fans in stadia may be short lived. 

The numbers being let in even now don't really justify it 

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

Don't think it looks all that great on TV frankly, with the stand on TV being a 1/4 sized and in any case is shared with Sale RU too, which is outbreak central atm.

Hasn't their season ended?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

Biosecurity hasn't been mentioned once in this discussion (by MUFC) and we have teams sharing stadiums already. This is down to pitch availability, nothing more or less.

Simply because it hasn't been mentioned doesn't mean that it isn't a factor, unless you know different. I would imagine that having two Champions League matches scheduled closely together either side of the date for the GF would mean that it would be a serious consideration.

Archived