The Greatest Show In The Galaxy

36 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

OMG ! IT'S HERE. I feel like I've waited 40 years to see this, in fact longer. Listened to the audio recording that survives but this animation is special. 

81oRxpRUJuS._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Bruce Lee has aged badly.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 24/09/2021 at 15:55, Sidi Fidi Gold said:

Well , that's a surprise , Russel T Davies is to to return as Doctor Who show runner for the 60th anniversary special and series beyond , there were rumours that Olly Alexander would be the next Doctor , so this appointment will make those rumours even stronger .

It is a surprise, and a risk for RTD to go back.

Expectations will be sky high.

At least he knows what he is getting himself into, and it might give those of us who just enjoy watching the show a break from the chorus of doom who have spent the past few years pulling it to bits at every opportunity. 🤞

• Like 1

On 27/09/2021 at 22:58, HawkMan said:

OMG ! IT'S HERE. I feel like I've waited 40 years to see this, in fact longer. Listened to the audio recording that survives but this animation is special. 

I've just got my copy.

Looking forward to watching it! 😃

• Like 1

John have you tried Marie Claire's youtube channel,  a young lady going through every episode of classic Who. Starting with An Unearthly Child she has a vid for every episode. Now up to State Of Decay ep 3. Check her out, recommended. 

Edited by HawkMan

9 hours ago, John Drake said:

I've just got my copy.

Looking forward to watching it! 😃

Hopefully RTD will retcon the Timeless Child nonsense. Andrew Cartmel did have plans for the Doctor to be revealed as an ancient being like Rassilon or Omega but cancellation meant nothing came of it. I  hope  it transpires that The Master was telling porkies and The Doctor doesn't predate the Time Lords, that just seems plain wrong.

Edited by HawkMan
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, HawkMan said:

John have you tried Marie Claire's youtube channel,  a young lady going through every episode of classic Who. Starting with An Unearthly Child she has a vid for every episode. Now up to State Of Decay ep 3. Check her out, recommended. 

I'll have a look, but that's quite an investment in time if she's doing one for every episode!! 😲

13 hours ago, HawkMan said:

Hopefully RTD will retcon the Timeless Child nonsense. Andrew Cartmel did have plans for the Doctor to be revealed as an ancient being like Rassilon or Omega but cancellation meant nothing came of it. I  hope  it transpires that The Master was telling porkies and The Doctor doesn't predate the Time Lords, that just seems plain wrong.

A show that can change the entire appearance and personality of its leading character on a regular basis can pretty much do anything.  I think the format is indestructible, but isn't guaranteed to appeal to every fan, all of the time, as the last few years have illustrated.

The Jodie Whittaker era will grow to be more appreciated in future, I hope (personally, I've enjoyed it).

The Sylvester McCoy era, for example, has been more positively reassessed since the time it was originally broadcast, and the (ahem) 'Rose' tinted spectacles that fans now look back on RTD's original relaunch of the show, even though he was much criticised at the time for making it 'too soapy', including broad comedic aspects like burping bins and farting aliens, and some cop out endings to big story arcs. And look what he did with the Cybermen!

RTD binned off Gallifrey and the Time Lords in the Time War in his previous stint, because he knew that newer viewers wouldn't have much of a clue about any of that stuff anyway, so he obviously doesn't have any qualms about ignoring or rewriting the show's existing history if it suits where he wants to take it.

I think he'll be pitching the show at a wider, more general TV audience again, rather than serving its existing fanbase which just isn't big enough to sustain it as a mainstream ratings success. 

Whatever he does, I'm sure it won't be too long before some fans are demanding his head on a plate!! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, John Drake said:

I'll have a look, but that's quite an investment in time if she's doing one for every episode!! 😲

Definitely worth giving a go, it's great to see a young person getting into classic who. She has a large audience on her channel and started about 3 years ago. You can of course dip into any episode you fancy rather than doing the lot. War Games ep.10 was something else,  she just broke up and cried.

Others doing similar are Sesskasays doing a video for every two episodes,  she's just finished The Mutants. And CJ Who brothers doing one vid per story, they have finished classic and are now on NuWho. 

Edited by HawkMan

On 04/10/2021 at 12:56, John Drake said:

It is a surprise, and a risk for RTD to go back.

Expectations will be sky high.

At least he knows what he is getting himself into, and it might give those of us who just enjoy watching the show a break from the chorus of doom who have spent the past few years pulling it to bits at every opportunity. 🤞

I really enjoyed the RTD era , but preferred the Moffat era , particularly with Capaldi as the Doctor , but I think a lot of RTD fans will be in for a bit of a shock , I don't expect his new era to be anything like his old one , he's written a couple of cracking drama's over the last few years(Years and Years , Its a sin) and I'm really looking forward to see what he has to offer . 

Its interesting to see that Bad Wolf Productions will co-produce the show with BBC studios , BWP was founded by Julie Gardner , who worked on DW while RTD was there and Jane Tranter , who , I think was head of drama at the BBC when DW was brought back .

• Like 1

16 hours ago, HawkMan said:

What is it you don't like about The Timeless Child ? is it the fact that there are a lot of pre-Hartnell incarnations of The Doctor ? or is it the the fact that The Doctor isn't from Gallifrey and that all the Time Lords and their regenerative powers descended from her ? or is it both? Personally , I'm intrigued to see how the story pans out , and what or whom , are The Division .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John Drake said:

A show that can change the entire appearance and personality of its leading character on a regular basis can pretty much do anything.  I think the format is indestructible, but isn't guaranteed to appeal to every fan, all of the time, as the last few years have illustrated.

The Jodie Whittaker era will grow to be more appreciated in future, I hope (personally, I've enjoyed it).

The Sylvester McCoy era, for example, has been more positively reassessed since the time it was originally broadcast, and the (ahem) 'Rose' tinted spectacles that fans now look back on RTD's original relaunch of the show, even though he was much criticised at the time for making it 'too soapy', including broad comedic aspects like burping bins and farting aliens, and some cop out endings to big story arcs. And look what he did with the Cybermen!

RTD binned off Gallifrey and the Time Lords in the Time War in his previous stint, because he knew that newer viewers wouldn't have much of a clue about any of that stuff anyway, so he obviously doesn't have any qualms about ignoring or rewriting the show's existing history if it suits where he wants to take it.

I think he'll be pitching the show at a wider, more general TV audience again, rather than serving its existing fanbase which just isn't big enough to sustain it as a mainstream ratings success. 

Whatever he does, I'm sure it won't be too long before some fans are demanding his head on a plate!! 

If The Timeless Child is some parallel Universe type story and Gallifrey hasn't been destroyed , then it will be interesting to see what RTD does , as you say , he destroyed Gallifrey , Moffat brought it back , Chibnall destroyed it and could possibly be bringing it back , what will RTD do ? will he destroy it again !

On 05/10/2021 at 14:58, Sidi Fidi Gold said:

What is it you don't like about The Timeless Child ? is it the fact that there are a lot of pre-Hartnell incarnations of The Doctor ? or is it the the fact that The Doctor isn't from Gallifrey and that all the Time Lords and their regenerative powers descended from her ? or is it both? Personally , I'm intrigued to see how the story pans out , and what or whom , are The Division .

I think on a fundamental story point, and its happening across more and more stories now not just Dr Who, it has made the Doctor the centre of the universe because it was predestined to be so. They're special by birth, not by their actions; which is a different basis for the entire story. The Dr didn't need a backstory to make them special or a semi mythical figure, they've earned that right.

It does also devalue a lot of what came before - particularly Matt Smith growing old for example or River Song giving the dr her regeneration power. But I think the above story point is the nub of the issue, because ultimately, it doesn’t change much or present the doctor with a new challenge.

• Like 1

On 05/10/2021 at 14:47, Sidi Fidi Gold said:

I really enjoyed the RTD era , but preferred the Moffat era , particularly with Capaldi as the Doctor , but I think a lot of RTD fans will be in for a bit of a shock , I don't expect his new era to be anything like his old one , he's written a couple of cracking drama's over the last few years(Years and Years , Its a sin) and I'm really looking forward to see what he has to offer . 

Its interesting to see that Bad Wolf Productions will co-produce the show with BBC studios , BWP was founded by Julie Gardner , who worked on DW while RTD was there and Jane Tranter , who , I think was head of drama at the BBC when DW was brought back .

It looks like Sony Pictures are about to buy out Bad Wolf Productions , what that means for Doctor Who , who knows .

• 3 weeks later...
On 18/10/2021 at 13:53, Sidi Fidi Gold said:

This trailer looks epic !

wife has just stuck it on on catch up- john bishop - bungle from rainbow - the lass that runs round panting and cant act still playing the dr - stinks of writing by people who have been taught to write rather than natural writers- unbearable woke rubbish galore - if ideas have run out then please say so - this is utter garbage 

• Thanks 1

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

17 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

wife has just stuck it on on catch up- john bishop - bungle from rainbow - the lass that runs round panting and cant act still playing the dr - stinks of writing by people who have been taught to write rather than natural writers- unbearable woke rubbish galore - if ideas have run out then please say so - this is utter garbage 

It's written by Chris Chibnall, who also wrote Broadchurch, which won a Best Drama BAFTA.

Shame you didn't enjoy it, but life would be dull if we all liked the same things.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

If you think its garbage , then that's your prerogative , but what was woke about this episode ? was it because there was a disabled woman in it? or was it because somebody was working in a food bank ? I'm just curious .

21 minutes ago, John Drake said:

It's written by Chris Chibnall, who also wrote Broadchurch, which won a Best Drama BAFTA.

Shame you didn't enjoy it, but life would be dull if we all liked the same things.

As I said earlier , I thought the trailer was epic , though I did think the dog character looked a bit naff , but on watching the episode , Karvanista grew on me and I think he's going to be a great character , I thought Dan was great , a lot of the new characters look really interesting , It looks like Yaz is really going to shine this series  and the episode built up to a really exciting cliff hanger , and there's so many questions I want answered .