The Greatest Show In The Galaxy

1 hour ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Fine example of a non sequitur. Unless I'm missing something obvious.

Bonnie did very well to have any sort of career. Typecasting could have been a terminal threat to her livelihood after nailing the role of Violet Elizabeth Bott so perfectly. 

I didn't like her during her run in the 80s but watching just 20 minutes of her in The Giggle, she came across so much better and I'm really looking forward to seeing more of her in the future.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Fine example of a non sequitur. Unless I'm missing something obvious.

Bonnie did very well to have any sort of career. Typecasting could have been a terminal threat to her livelihood after nailing the role of Violet Elizabeth Bott so perfectly. 

I posted that comment to illustrate how daft a sweeping statement like 'Everything RTD does is motivated by identity politics' really is.

Bringing back Bonnie Langford as a character she first played opposite Colin Baker and Sylvester McCoy in the 1980s, when she was badly served by some dreadful writing, to give her a chance to play the part again with better scripts and better characterisation, is nothing to do with identity politics, and everything to do with RTD paying homage to the 'classic' series which he clearly loves and appreciates, despite some people having convinced themselves he is determined to trash or erase it from history.

So much of the criticism dished out these days doesn't stand up to any scrutiny all.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, John Drake said:

I posted that comment to illustrate how daft a sweeping statement like 'Everything RTD does is motivated by identity politics' really is.

Bringing back Bonnie Langford as a character she first played opposite Colin Baker and Sylvester McCoy in the 1980s, when she was badly served by some dreadful writing, to give her a chance to play the part again with better scripts and better characterisation, is nothing to do with identity politics, and everything to do with RTD paying homage to the 'classic' series which he clearly loves and appreciates, despite some people having convinced themselves he is determined to trash or erase it from history.

So much of the criticism dished out these days doesn't stand up to any scrutiny all.

Sweeping statements are figures of speech. Not designed for unreservedly literal interpretation.

Fair point about Bonnie Langford but disgruntled fans could easily counter that one swallow doesn't make a summer. 

RTD has repeatedly made it plain that "progressive" politics are central to his work. Not least, in response to criticism. And on top of everything, he's Welsh. Chips on both shoulders guaranteed. Mind you, so was a member of the Velvet Underground.

4 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Sweeping statements are figures of speech. Not designed for unreservedly literal interpretation.

Fair point about Bonnie Langford but disgruntled fans could easily counter that one swallow doesn't make a summer. 

RTD has repeatedly made it plain that "progressive" politics are central to his work. Not least, in response to criticism. And on top of everything, he's Welsh. Chips on both shoulders guaranteed. Mind you, so was a member of the Velvet Underground.

Disgruntled fans can find fault with anything, if they are so minded.

RTD has brought other characters back from the 'classic' show, not least Sarah Jane Smith from Tom Baker's era, whose return was so successful she ended up with her own spin-off show that ran for five series until the actress who played her sadly passed away.

He's brought back loads of old adversaries from the past, from the Autons (in his very first episode), Daleks, Davros, Sontarans, the Master, Cybermen, and other popular elements of its history including UNIT (whose boss is even a descendant of the original Brigadier character).

Since he's returned for his second stint as showrunner, he's even gone as far as bringing back the hugely popular David Tennant and Catherine Tate to appear in three special episodes, one of which featured an old adversary, the Celestial Toymaker, last seen during William Hartnell's time. How's that for mining the past?

So the return of Bonnie Langford isn't a case of one swallow, it's just part of a whole flock (or whatever a group of swallows is called... a gulp?).

Still, despite all that, you will find plenty of people furiously arguing online that he's somehow disrespecting or ignoring the show's past, in an effort to make it some kind of 'progressive' caricature of itself, when anyone who has truly been paying attention to its past, would recognise it has often done things that were ahead of its time, that would nowadays be dismissed as that dreaded term 'woke', well before RTD ever got his hands on it.

Given that RTD watched the show obsessively as a kid, it was possibly watching Doctor Who that gave him such a progressive outlook on life in the first place!

I often think myself that so much of the criticism that surrounds the show these days is fuelled by people who have entirely missed the point of Doctor Who. It's a show about an eccentric, an oddball, an outcast, travelling round the Universe righting wrongs, fighting evil, trying to do good (the ultimate 'do-gooder', in fact), seeking out knowledge, learning new things, being unafraid of the unknown, all with a reassuring smile on their face and a big dollop of often very daft humour.

I might be an old fart of 57 now, but I still watch new episodes with the enthusiasm of the kid who first started watching it in 1973 and hasn't missed an episode since. I feel a bit sad for those who can't do the same. I think they are missing out on a whole load of fun.

• Like 2

On 23/03/2024 at 10:40, HawkMan said:

I love it, I started this thread, but the show has now been sacrificed on the altar of diversity and political correction. It doesn't have to be this way. 

I'll address a dissenter rather than pester JD any further. That last post is a comprehensive spirited defence.

If all he says is true, why do so many veteran Who fans not see RTD as a kindred spirit? Depictions of critics as simply contrarian does not suffice. Might actually be part of the problem. Viewers are entitled to express opinions. If they weren't stigmatized as backward or culture warriors, they might be more accommodating to change.

As RL supporters we ought to know that finding fault with specific elements does not preclude enjoyment of the whole.  

Proof is in the pudding. Past series demonstrably appealed to audiences of all philosophical persuasions. Recent series, less so.

Last RTD public appearance I saw was a drunken hectoring rant about trans politics at some awards ceremony. Not the most balanced or endearing performance.

On 25/03/2024 at 20:04, unapologetic pedant said:

Which revealed a greater than realized familiarity with the Peter Davidson period. 

On 23/03/2024 at 13:12, unapologetic pedant said:

There are parallels with The Tomorrow People. That went through a ropey comedy phase. 

Just realized I misspelt Davison. Might as well leave it unedited. For posterity.

Had been contemplating bringing up the 1975 episode of The Tomorrow People called "A Man For Emily". Hands-down the nadir of the comedy phase. Peter Davison guest stars alongside future wife Sandra Dickinson. If you think Sylvester McCoy period Doctor Who was bad, check this out. Has to be seen to be believed.

Probably best to quote part of the DVD blurb -

"Spying an unidentified spacecraft heading for Earth, the Tomorrow People set out to investigate the nature of this latest potential threat and come face-to-face with a bizarre alien family whose culture and mannerisms have been shaped by prolonged exposure to Earth's television programmes, in particular Westerns!

When the crew's servant Elmer (Davison) escapes the clutches of the domineering Momma and her daughter Emily (Dickinson), the hunt is on to track him down before the vengeful Momma exacts her wrath upon the inhabitants of Earth"

Browsing the BBC Genome for the scheduling context of Star Cops. Whilst there, went searching for a repeat of The Green Death broadcast some time in the 90s. Wasn't then familiar with the title, just remembered the giant maggots like it was yesterday. Would have been aged 5, first time round. Stuff of nightmares.

Sure enough, January 1994 Sunday BBC 2 noon.