Jump to content

The Greatest Show In The Galaxy


Recommended Posts

20 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Whoever runs the show comes in for criticism.

Fans were clamouring for Steven Moffat to replace Russell T Davies, until he actually did replace Russell T Davies, and then they were clamouring for him to go and be replaced by someone else.

Now it is Chris Chibnall's turn to be slated for 'poor writing' which considering he delivered one of the most critically acclaimed TV shows in recent history (Broadchurch) on another channel, and is an actual Doctor Who fan of long standing himself, shows just how baseless the vast majority of those criticisms are.

But, the more they are repeated by a small group of people (and it is a small group, compared to the show's overall audience) they become amplified and accepted as statements of fact, repeated by others who just want to go with whatever the current consensus happens to be.

Honestly, if William Shakespeare came back from the dead and wrote for Doctor Who, there would be the usual suspects accusing him of 'poor' or 'lazy' writing and arguing that he was ruining the show.

They would, but a broken clock is right twice a day, and if enough people who are not of that professional complainers ilk are of an opinion then surely it has some basis?

I tend to agree with @Shadow on this one. She's clearly a talented actor, the rest of the cast are good, the special effects are good, so what is it that is letting it down? It only leaves the writing. He may be a good showrunner and a fan, but he has come in with a brief to turn things over too.

I see a lot of parallels with recent Disney Star Wars output. Lots of criticism for some media, such as The Last Jedi, was dismissed as "uneducated", where people were told their opinions were straight up "wrong" or in direct reference to this point that people who didn't like it were just crybabies who moan about everything and hate anything new.

Yet other media, such as the Mandalorian, has been universally well received? I think quality of writing simply cannot be avoided when discussing this stuff.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


3 hours ago, John Drake said:

This helps explain where some of the 'missing' viewers were over the festive fortnight.

https://www.tvzoneuk.com/post/bbciplayer-festivestreams2020

They were still watching lots of Christmas telly, just not at the time it was originally broadcast.

From the website: 'Overall, EastEnders was the most watched programme over the festive fortnight on BBC iPlayer with a total of 13,852,000 streams. Doctor Who came in at eleventh on that list with a total 2,425,000 streams.'

Doctor Who was only available on iPlayer from 1st Jan, which was very near the end of the period these figures cover. It is likely to add several million more streams on top of that, which added to it's original overnight rating of around 5 million, puts all those 'the ratings are down' alarmist headlines that newspapers love so much when they've nowt else to write about into some kind of perspective.

Discussing overnight ratings figures in isolation these days is a bit like discussing how many people watched a particular show in black and white in 1977, when most people had already switched to colour tellies.

The numbers watching shows as they are broadcast will go down as the number of other options to watch the shows whenever you want to watch them goes up.

Thanks and I see the point but I don’t think that’s necessarily comparing like with like. Dribs and drabs of viewers over a period of time isn’t the same thing as 20-25 Million people sat down watching the same programme and enjoying the experience at the same time.

In my view at least. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Time is relative. What was before the Railways, Bristol time, wasn't the same as London, or Manchester or Liverpool time. It certainly changes as you travel around the world. Especially after jet travel was introduced. Jet-lag was a common problem with travellers not used to resetting their body clocks before travel, and eating properly, although nowadays it would be put down to Coronavirus, as everything is.

I have a very precise watch, that receives a radio transmitted time signal, 4 times per day from Greenwich, but if I travel to Dover it gets the one from Paris.

General Franco changed the entire of Spain to Central European time to match up with Hitlers Germany, the are parts of Spain further west of Portugal where if you travel south, you go back in time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

This trailer for the Season 24 Bluray box set is quite entertaining.

It's probably my least favourite season of all, but I'll still be ordering the box set for a reappraisal. When it comes to Doctor Who stuff, me and my money are easily parted. 😄

  • Like 1

.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have listened to Big Finish Melanie Bush / McCoy stories and she isn't too bad in that, but season 24 doesn't do much to showcase her undoubted talents. But I can't imagine any actress making Mel work, the character is just a pain. Dragonfire was good and Delta was quite entertaining. Luckily I don't have a bluray player or I'd be spending loads too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • HawkMan changed the title to The Greatest Show In The Galaxy
On 07/01/2021 at 19:25, Johnoco said:

Thanks and I see the point but I don’t think that’s necessarily comparing like with like. Dribs and drabs of viewers over a period of time isn’t the same thing as 20-25 Million people sat down watching the same programme and enjoying the experience at the same time.

In my view at least. 

Yes, but TV viewing habits have changed, and not just for Doctor Who. And the younger you are, the less likely it is that you will make a point of watching a show at the moment of broadcast. If you somehow brought Morecambe & Wise back to life, at the peak of their powers, and had them make a Christmas Special, it wouldn't change the way things are now.

Live sport is still watched simultaneously in large numbers, because nobody wants to get a call, text or Tweet about the score/result before they've watched it themselves.

"We are easily breakable, by illness or falling, or a million other ways of leaving this earthly life. We are just so much mashed potato."  Don Estelle

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Yes, but TV viewing habits have changed, and not just for Doctor Who. And the younger you are, the less likely it is that you will make a point of watching a show at the moment of broadcast. If you somehow brought Morecambe & Wise back to life, at the peak of their powers, and had them make a Christmas Special, it wouldn't change the way things are now.

Live sport is still watched simultaneously in large numbers, because nobody wants to get a call, text or Tweet about the score/result before they've watched it themselves.

Oh I accept things have changed, probably forever, I just don’t think it’s as good an experience when you get so many people all watching something but all staggered. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, John Drake said:

This trailer for the Season 24 Bluray box set is quite entertaining.

It's probably my least favourite season of all, but I'll still be ordering the box set for a reappraisal. When it comes to Doctor Who stuff, me and my money are easily parted. 😄

I don't believe I ever watched that series, certainly not avidly. Even at age 10 I'd like to think I could tell it wasn't very good - Bonnie Langford certainly didn't seem great.

Those Tetraps though, they look like they might have been created from leftover Argonds.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, M j M said:

I don't believe I ever watched that series, certainly not avidly. Even at age 10 I'd like to think I could tell it wasn't very good - Bonnie Langford certainly didn't seem great.

Those Tetraps though, they look like they might have been created from leftover Argonds.

They probably were!

You could really tell the Beeb were bored of supporting the show by this point. They had forced the sacking of the lead actor (Colin Baker) and even scheduled it directly up against Coronation Street, the slot of death (hmm, good title for a Doctor Who story, that).

The actual stories themselves are not completely dreadful, but they abound in pointlessly stupid moments, like the literal 'cliffhanger' in Dragonfire, which apart from that one scene is probably the high point of this season.

The overall production is cartoon-like, more panto than sci-fi, and hammy performances are the norm. When you have Ken Dodd popping up in the cast list, and he is giving arguably the straightest performance on screen, you know you have problems.

Bonnie Langford was given nothing to work with. Her character is just non-existent, so she screams a lot in compensation. Not her fault, and she has done much better work than this since, including in the Big Finish Doctor Who audios where her character has actually been given some depth. She is far better in the 2 minute promo clip I posted earlier than in any of these Season 24 stories.

Sylvester McCoy deserved better too. He's by far the best thing in these stories, and luckily he got two more seasons to show how good he could be.

Season 24 is a mess, but there are valid behind the scenes reasons why that was the case, so these stories need to be viewed in the context of the time and circumstances they were made. That's the real beauty of the bluray box sets, because they come with tons of supporting material which do exactly that.

Anyone who thinks the modern show is bad, and that the classic series was always superior, really needs to sit through these stories again to recalibrate their critical faculties, in my view.

  • Like 2

.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

The show could have gone in a very different direction.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2021/feb/13/this-much-i-know-brian-blessed-i-am-only-noisy-when-i-choose-to-be 

"The BBC wanted me to be Doctor Who. They said, “William Hartnell is getting older. We’d like you to play the Doctor in a different way.” I was still a young man, so I said, “I’d be interested, but I want to make him Oriental. His name is Who, so I’d like to play him like Charlie Chan.” That terrified them. They went, “Good God, no!” and dropped the idea."

Edited by Futtocks
  • Haha 1

"We are easily breakable, by illness or falling, or a million other ways of leaving this earthly life. We are just so much mashed potato."  Don Estelle

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Futtocks said:

The show could have gone in a very different direction.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2021/feb/13/this-much-i-know-brian-blessed-i-am-only-noisy-when-i-choose-to-be 

"The BBC wanted me to be Doctor Who. They said, “William Hartnell is getting older. We’d like you to play the Doctor in a different way.” I was still a young man, so I said, “I’d be interested, but I want to make him Oriental. His name is Who, so I’d like to play him like Charlie Chan.” That terrified them. They went, “Good God, no!” and dropped the idea."

He also says he fired a bow and arrow at V-2 rockets blowing up Sheffield. V-2s never made it to Sheffield, least of all via Goldthorpe, so I suspect he may be a somewhat unreliable witness.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 14/02/2021 at 00:57, Futtocks said:

The show could have gone in a very different direction.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2021/feb/13/this-much-i-know-brian-blessed-i-am-only-noisy-when-i-choose-to-be 

"The BBC wanted me to be Doctor Who. They said, “William Hartnell is getting older. We’d like you to play the Doctor in a different way.” I was still a young man, so I said, “I’d be interested, but I want to make him Oriental. His name is Who, so I’d like to play him like Charlie Chan.” That terrified them. They went, “Good God, no!” and dropped the idea."

What might have been? We did get some idea when Brian Blessed appeared in Doctor Who in 1986. He goes over the top, then a little bit further for good measure.

.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 months later...

This is what we have wanted for years,  Evil of the Daleks animation. Confirmation of September 27  release date. Brilliant. Victoria's debut story and a much missed masterpiece ❤

 

Edited by HawkMan
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

This is what we have wanted for years,  Evil of the Daleks animation. Confirmation of September 27  release date. Brilliant. 

 

My credit card is in for another hammering... 😄

.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Sidi Fidi Gold said:

IMG_0015.JPG.f99cda43d8f5b69c2050c5467830d403.JPG

 

This photo was taken in Normanton on Friday . While its highly unlikely that it has anything to do with the up coming series , its still an unusual sight .

Very unusual, it appears the person taking the photo has one leg much shorter than the other..... 

Wibble

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 24/07/2021 at 02:36, Sidi Fidi Gold said:

IMG_0015.JPG.f99cda43d8f5b69c2050c5467830d403.JPG

 

This photo was taken in Normanton on Friday . While its highly unlikely that it has anything to do with the up coming series , its still an unusual sight .

Not hard to guess which local lad is in disguise there; I'd recognise Ben Thaler's body shape anywhere.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, John Drake said:

Promo clip for the new series...

Series 13 is set to be one continuing story, it will only be 8 episodes long due to covid restrictions . As well as Jodie , Mandip Gill and John Bishop , Series 13 will feature Jacob Anderson (Grey Worm GoT) as a recurring character , it will also feature some old monsters such as Weeping angels and Sontarans .As everyone knows there are rumours that this is Jodies last series , other rumours suggest that she will film a couple of specials , which will air next year and then leave , another rumour is that the next Doctor will not be revealed until Jodies Doctor regenerates .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Sidi Fidi Gold said:

Series 13 is set to be one continuing story, it will only be 8 episodes long due to covid restrictions . As well as Jodie , Mandip Gill and John Bishop , Series 13 will feature Jacob Anderson (Grey Worm GoT) as a recurring character , it will also feature some old monsters such as Weeping angels and Sontarans .As everyone knows there are rumours that this is Jodies last series , other rumours suggest that she will film a couple of specials , which will air next year and then leave , another rumour is that the next Doctor will not be revealed until Jodies Doctor regenerates .

I think it is an interesting idea to make the whole series one continuing story. I know it has been done mainly due to the truncated season length due to Covid, but it is a nod back to the classic series where stories would run for four to six episodes as the norm, rather than the one-offs or loose story arcs we've tended to have since the show resumed in 2005.

When Torchwood did this with Children of Earth, five episodes over five consecutive nights, they knocked it out of the park and produced the best series they'd ever done.

I'm looking forward to seeing it.

.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, John Drake said:

I think it is an interesting idea to make the whole series one continuing story. I know it has been done mainly due to the truncated season length due to Covid, but it is a nod back to the classic series where stories would run for four to six episodes as the norm, rather than the one-offs or loose story arcs we've tended to have since the show resumed in 2005.

When Torchwood did this with Children of Earth, five episodes over five consecutive nights, they knocked it out of the park and produced the best series they'd ever done.

I'm looking forward to seeing it.

Children of the Earth was probably the best thing ever to come out of the Whoniverse , I can remember people at work who never watched Doctor Who/Torchwood talking about it and saying how good it was . Back to the upcoming series , I too am looking forward to it , I want to see the conclusion of the Timeless Child arc and to find out who or what are " The Division "

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...