EASTERN EUROPE

I have no idea about the finances of us posters on here 🙂 however I get the feeling that there are a few people that are reasonably well off so with regard to Eddies idea about a fund from RL fans for Eastern Europe why not.

May I suggest that someone is appointed as the trustee (Lionel Hurst would be an excellent choice for this if someone wants to reach out to him) 

I am note happy to make an initial contribution to kick start things and then maybe we can decide as a group various projects to make Qtr donations to youth development kits balls funding some training camps with development officers coming over for a few days from the UK.

Any ideas?

32 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

I have no idea about the finances of us posters on here 🙂 however I get the feeling that there are a few people that are reasonably well off so with regard to Eddies idea about a fund from RL fans for Eastern Europe why not.

May I suggest that someone is appointed as the trustee (Lionel Hurst would be an excellent choice for this if someone wants to reach out to him) 

I am note happy to make an initial contribution to kick start things and then maybe we can decide as a group various projects to make Qtr donations to youth development kits balls funding some training camps with development officers coming over for a few days from the UK.

Any ideas?

I’m certainly not well off but I’d be happy to stick 30 or 40 quid in to help get things going, if i knew it was going to be utilised properly. 

Shall I email that chap that the Polish RL said to contact in the UK of you wanted to know more or wanted to help them? 

21 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Have I made this up or was there a developing nations lottery a while back where the money was split between winners and then the nations that needed some money for equipment etc?

Yes it was the Rugby League Development fund run by Rugby League Planet, which sadly, no longer operates. I think @deluded pom? or @roughyedspud were involved (sorry, I always get you two mixed up. Hopefully they can tell us more. 

44 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I’m certainly not well off but I’d be happy to stick 30 or 40 quid in to help get things going, if i knew it was going to be utilised properly. 

Shall I email that chap that the Polish RL said to contact in the UK of you wanted to know more or wanted to help them? 

Thats brilliant Eddie I think we should though not rush and someone should reach out to Lionel (Being a barrister and rugby league man he would be a perfect choice) 

Paul

2 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Thats brilliant Eddie I think we should though not rush and someone should reach out to Lionel (Being a barrister and rugby league man he would be a perfect choice) 

Paul

Who’s he?

I’ll email the Polish chap and see what he says anyway, obv no commitment. 

Lionel hailed from Wigan but now lives in Gloucestershire, is behind the Bristol All Golds was once CEO at London Broncos and was behind the very successful York Nines years ago.

Also a wonderful historian and is a criminal barrister 100% league man through and through:)

Paul

1 hour ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

There are plenty of people on here who think we should spend hundreds of thousands to play in an empty Old Trafford, I’d rather the money was spent on developing players.

How much will it cost to play at Old Trafford, above the cost of not playing there I mean. Do you know?

2 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

There are plenty of people on here who think we should spend hundreds of thousands to play in an empty Old Trafford, I’d rather the money was spent on developing players.

I have not seen anyone say we should spend hundreds of thousands to play at an empty Old Trafford.

48 minutes ago, Eddie said:

How much will it cost to play at Old Trafford, above the cost of not playing there I mean. Do you know?

Not sure, they have reduced the usual price though and we have a very good relationship with them. 

On 18/10/2020 at 15:29, Manfred Mann said:

But of course at least another 17 top quality Polish players would have to be unearthed and trained in either Super League or the NRL

Really?

What about following the well trodden path of third generation player's who in most cases have never even set foot in the motherland, Greece, Jamaica and Lebanon competing in the next WC are very good examples and that's before we even start to disect the Pacific Islands squads.

18 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Several hundreds of thousands of pounds.

How much do you think it costs to hire old Trafford?

Have you a link for this or are you just going to keep repeating it?

Empty stadiums do not cost that much to rent provided they are available and the teams are willing to rent them. Old Trafford regularly holds matches for sponsors and I know people that have represented the Police in football tournaments at Old Trafford. They certainly do not pay hundreds of thousands.

12 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Not sure, they have reduced the usual price though and we have a very good relationship with them. 

Indeed. Costs are substantially reduced in an empty stadium and its crazy to think costs are the same. Stewarding, cleaning, bar staff, etc costs associated with stadium hire are non-existent. Hence why the Challenge Cup final could still be played at Wembley.

When you look of the populations in Eastern Europe.Armenia, Estonia, Lithuania, Latvia, Moldova and Montenegro are below or around 3 million each which when you combine other sports you naturally struggle when you have a smaller population. The bigger populations or Russia, Serbia and Ukraine have a better chance

I am surprised that more hasn't been done with Cyprus they have a natural "touring" teams with the Army and RAF that are based there. Larnaca especially where the British expats are based too seems to be the HQ for the national RL side. There was a big push in late 2011 to identify it but not alot has been seen since they wanted to play touring teams and Greece. In Larnaca they have a sporting club (AEK Larnaca) which covers a few different sports which wouldn't be a bad place to start under the banner of an existing setup like Red Star Belgrade etc. 

Archived