The blink and youll miss them for your club XIII

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We had a whole bunch of short term Aussies arrive at Gateshead for a period of time, the deals were set up by an agent that omitted to mention to these guys (most of whom were from North Queensland) that

1. winter in Gateshead is cold, very cold, the International Stadium was probably one of the coldest places to be.

2. the so called luxury accommodation was a terraced house in a bad part of town, likely to be unheated too.

3. the club was broke and lost every week so the chances of pay were small, the chances of winning pay even smaller

4. the supplementary jobs arranged by the club involved working outdoors in those nice cold temperatures 

As a result most left before we got to know their names, I do remember one, Nick Cowburn, very talented and almost caught hypothermia one game, he soon went back to North Queensland. Maybe some other Thunder fans can fill in the numerous blanks that my memory can’t.

13 hours ago, Barry Badrinath said:

which 3?

tbh, i could have filled this with the latter part of the 1997, 2001 and 2002 squads.  There's still a fair few i could throw in, unknowns and a few knowns

craig weston, signed but never played for us, doing a u turn for widnes.

Eagar Vagama Mann

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

I'll take a stab at a SL era Hull FC. This is off the top of my head so someone else will no doubt have some better suggestions.

1. Wade McKinnon

2. Stuart Reardon

3. Martin Gleeson

4. Michael Eagar

5. Dwayne West

6. Ryan McGoldrick

7. Sam Obst

8. Adel Fellous

9. Paul McShane

10. Dominic Maloney

11. Chris Tuson

12. Martin Aspinwall

13. Josh Cordoba

I have tried to stick with players who we signed from elsewhere, rather than youngsters who maybe played a few games but then didn't make it.

I really struggled with back rowers. I can think of hundreds of props 😂, but not so many second rows. So I took the liberty of putting Aspinwall (mainly played 13) at second row and Cordoba (a prop) at 13.

On 19/10/2020 at 18:58, Barry Badrinath said:

1. Doc murray/will dagger

2.anthony swann

3.dean hanger

4.michael eagar

5. Nigel  vagana 

6.steve blakeley/

7.mike Ford.

8.adam forgerty

9.martin dermot

10.george mann.

11. Richie eyres

12.mike pechey

13. Mike forshaw.

Honourable mentions to brendan tuuta,  Simon gillies, logan and willie swann,  Chris morley, David Kidwell, Kevin Walters , Leroy rivets and Dale laughton

Oh Paul hulme as well, still upsets me that.

Who would you have as coach?  Steve Anderson or Jimmy Lowes?

"I'm a traditionalist and I don"t think you'd ever see me coaching an Australian national side!"  Lee Radford, RLW March 2016

Proud to be a member of the TRL woke claque

I was going to mention Steve Rogers if nobody else did. Never got the chance to see him play for Widnes. He wasn't a giant like Miles or Meninga but a classy centre.  

To answer a question from a previous page Ben Kaye did start at Leeds.

Tony (more accurately Kurshid) Butt was an odd one. He seems to have been one of those players who drifted in and out of the game.  He played 7 games for Leeds, of which 6 were in 1986-87, and his only other appearance was in 1990-91. Maybe he started playing again because Ikram was playing?

Good thread this, i'll try Huddersfield  - SL era only as we had about 43,430 trialists a season before.

1.Greg Eden

2.Jamie Foster

3.Josh Griffin

4.Jordan Tansey

5.Leroy Rivett

6.Gary Schofield

7.Graham Holroyd

8.Stuart Fielden

9.Brad Dwyer

10.Michael Korkidas

11.Ian Pickavance

12.Jack Hughes

13.Andrew Tangata-Toa

Subs

14.Sean Penkywicz

15.Danny Sculthorpe

16.Richard Marshall

17.Bobbie Goulding

To be honest i could have picked 2 teams but i've gone for this as i reckon these are the most well known players.

2 hours ago, daz39 said:

Good thread this, i'll try Huddersfield  - SL era only as we had about 43,430 trialists a season before.

1.Greg Eden

2.Jamie Foster

3.Josh Griffin

4.Jordan Tansey

5.Leroy Rivett

6.Gary Schofield

7.Graham Holroyd

8.Stuart Fielden

9.Brad Dwyer

10.Michael Korkidas

11.Ian Pickavance

12.Jack Hughes

13.Andrew Tangata-Toa

Subs

14.Sean Penkywicz

15.Danny Sculthorpe

16.Richard Marshall

17.Bobbie Goulding

To be honest i could have picked 2 teams but i've gone for this as i reckon these are the most well known players.

Jordan Tansey played for Huddersfield?! Not sure there is a club that he hasn't played for!

21 hours ago, daz39 said:

1.Greg Eden

2.Jamie Foster

3.Josh Griffin

4.Jordan Tansey

5.Leroy Rivett

6.Gary Schofield

7.Graham Holroyd

8.Stuart Fielden

9.Brad Dwyer

10.Michael Korkidas

11.Ian Pickavance

12.Jack Hughes

13.Andrew Tangata-Toa

Subs

14.Sean Penkywicz

15.Danny Sculthorpe

16.Richard Marshall

17.Bobbie Goulding

Gene ngamu

16 minutes ago, Barry Badrinath said:

Gene ngamu

As i said, could have had 2 teams - 1 just for half backs probably too

12 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

What was the name of that ginger haired Australian who played for Fartown? Seemed to play about two games and then retired. 

Tom Symonds?

• 10 months later...

Luke Davico at Wigan.. not sure he actually played before tearing a pectoral muscle (i think).

Pretty sure former SA union centre signed a dual contract with Leeds Rhinos and tykes, but never played a game of RL. Wendell Sailor also at Leeds. Couple of Christmas games maybe?

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

On 18/10/2020 at 15:17, EagleEyePie said:

Here's my attempt for Wigan from the Super League era;

FB - Michael Withers

W - Jon Whittle

C - Nathan McAvoy

C - Liam Botham

W - Dwayne West

SO - Julian O'Neil

SH - Willie Peters

P - Ben Cross

H - Shane Millard

P - Wayne McDonald

SR - Tim Jonkers

SR - Oliver Wilkes

LF -  Andy Powell (former Wales RU international)

Bench:

Danny Hill

Larne Patrick

Jordan James

Mark Reber

18th Man : Shem Tatupu

Doc Murray at fullback?

On 21/10/2020 at 09:47, MZH said:

I'll take a stab at a SL era Hull FC. This is off the top of my head so someone else will no doubt have some better suggestions.

1. Wade McKinnon

2. Stuart Reardon

3. Martin Gleeson

4. Michael Eagar

5. Dwayne West

6. Ryan McGoldrick

7. Sam Obst

8. Adel Fellous

9. Paul McShane

10. Dominic Maloney

11. Chris Tuson

12. Martin Aspinwall

13. Josh Cordoba

I have tried to stick with players who we signed from elsewhere, rather than youngsters who maybe played a few games but then didn't make it.

I really struggled with back rowers. I can think of hundreds of props 😂, but not so many second rows. So I took the liberty of putting Aspinwall (mainly played 13) at second row and Cordoba (a prop) at 13.

Could have included Warren Jowitt somewhere.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

3 hours ago, EastLondonMike said:

Luke Davico at Wigan.. not sure he actually played before tearing a pectoral muscle (i think).

Pretty sure former SA union centre signed a dual contract with Leeds Rhinos and tykes, but never played a game of RL. Wendell Sailor also at Leeds. Couple of Christmas games maybe?

Got injured in his first preseason game I believe 

Leigh's that I can recall

1     John Dorahy

2     Alex Brown

3     Dom Feaunati

4     Richard Varkulis

5     James Clare

6     Blake Wallace

7     Jason Ferris

8     Mark Castle

9     Kurt Baptiste

10   Ben Flower

11    Jonathan Walker

12    Luke Isaaca

13   Mike Holliday

Phil Adamson at St Helens. Ellery Hanley signed him, but Hanley was soon gone after that, and his successor Ian Millward didn't want Adamson. He made three appearances before going back Down Under.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 25/10/2020 at 08:24, Hela Wigmen said:

What was the name of that ginger haired Australian who played for Fartown? Seemed to play about two games and then retired. 

Andrew Frew? Was at Fax as well but all I remember from his time at Fax was that his girlfriend was very attractive. His wiki page makes for a very interesting read.

9 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Phil Adamson at St Helens. Ellery Hanley signed him, but Hanley was soon gone after that, and his successor Ian Millward didn't want Adamson. He made three appearances before going back Down Under.

Saints would have to have Darrell Trindall and unfortunately Lee Briers as half backs. 

Archived