Featherstone born Challenge Cup Record Breakers

34 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

Richard and Allan Agar become the first son & father to coach Challenge Cup winners (2020 and 1983)

Tom Briscoe breaks the record for most Challenge Cup final tries, seven.

Guest of honour, Fev Lions' own Rob Burrow, will be proud.

Well done.

Tom also holds the record for most Tries in a Final with his 5 against HKR, and Cyril Kellett is joint Goals in a Final record with his 8 for Featherstone against Bradford in 1973. I think Iestyn Harris got 8 for Leeds against London.

1 hour ago, Gooleboy said:

Tom also holds the record for most Tries in a Final with his 5 against HKR, and Cyril Kellett is joint Goals in a Final record with his 8 for Featherstone against Bradford in 1973. I think Iestyn Harris got 8 for Leeds against London.

Dave Hartley was also the first ever sub to score a try in a Cup final

2 hours ago, marklaspalmas said:

Richard and Allan Agar become the first son & father to coach Challenge Cup winners (2020 and 1983)

Tom Briscoe breaks the record for most Challenge Cup final tries, seven.

Guest of honour, Fev Lions' own Rob Burrow, will be proud.

Well done.

Congrats to the Agar family great achievement. I wonder if it will ever get matched?

Weird story about 1983. I was there that day as a 10 year-old kid. Seven years later in 1990 I made my open age debut as a hooker with 1983 Wembley winners Hankins and Handscombe as the two props. Packing down for the first time with those guys nearly blew my mind!!

1 minute ago, Scubby said:

Congrats to the Agar family great achievement. I wonder if it will ever get matched?

Weird story about 1983. I was there that day as a 10 year-old kid. Seven years later in 1990 I made my open age debut as a hooker with 1983 Wembley winners Hankins and Handscombe as the two props. Packing down for the first time with those guys nearly blew my mind!!

Two likely lads to take care of you. Who did you play for? Sharlo?

2 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

Two likely lads to take care of you. Who did you play for? Sharlo?

Was Walton in the West Yorkshire League. I only played a few cos' they were short (was still playing U17s). They were hard as ####### nails both of them. Hankins had amazing ball skills too - underrated. 

8 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

The Featherstone defending for that Hanley try they showed at HT for Bradford was hideous. 

Mybe so but we still got to the twin towers and beat the red hot favourites on that day to remember

34 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Was Walton in the West Yorkshire League. I only played a few cos' they were short (was still playing U17s). They were hard as ####### nails both of them. Hankins had amazing ball skills too - underrated. 

Yes. Hard, but, as you say, a good ball handler too. He moved abroad and he's not been well recently.

5 hours ago, Scubby said:

Steve Hankins was very underrated. A great servant for Dewsbury as well.

I was at that semi final standing in the old north stand at ground level when Hanley went past. Defence might have been poor, but Hanley was also incredibly strong for a guy his size, especially in an era when most backs were puny by modern standards. I remember being really surprised Fev won as I assumed Bradford would. Not as amazed as Hull a few weeks later though.....

17 hours ago, Scubby said:

agreed FEV's 1st try 83 semi final STEVE in the centre goes round stand of draws in centre and feeds winger marsden to score

16 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

The Featherstone defending for that Hanley try they showed at HT for Bradford was hideous. 

true hanley ran well but FEVs 3rd and match winning try was head and shoulders better  a proper team try

19 hours ago, Gooleboy said:

Cyril Kellett is joint Goals in a Final record with his 8 for Featherstone against Bradford in 1973. I think Iestyn Harris got 8 for Leeds against London.

true but Iestyn missed a couple  so Cyril's 8 out of 8 as well as record goals in a final is also  the record number of consecutive goals in a final

4 hours ago, Griff said:

How do we define "Featherstone born" ?

Given that there are few home births these days.

On that basis there are probably more Pontefract born players than any others in the whole of RL. The simple reason being that's where the maternity hospital is that serves both Fev and Cas.

Archived