Championship/League 1 in 2021

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

No crowds before April but a planned start in March.

https://www.rugby-league.com/article/57241/rfl-update--championship--league--in-

TBH the meeting referred to was 3 weeks ago and  the story circulated then - not really sure why the RFL should only publish that article now?

Just wondering, with clubs in the lower reaches of football's pyramid now allowed limited crowds, whether we could get a similar exemption for at least L1. Not sure how the Cru and West Wales are affected, although I suppose we could decamp to Chester RU, where we've played before, if they'd have us.

9 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

TBH the meeting referred to was 3 weeks ago and  the story circulated then - not really sure why the RFL should only publish that article now?

I didn't think they'd gone into detail (not that there's much detail there) before.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

So we are looking at the best part of a year without lower league competition. Without getting into the covid debate, I can't see how the situation will improve by April. That was around the peak of the problem this year according to the stats we have.

I'm not one of 'the game is dying' or 'we'll be part time in 5 years' brigade normally, but I am become pretty worried about a lot of clubs and even the sustainability of Championship / L1 as a whole without a Government bailout.

Here's a scenario. 

Featherstone Rovers aren't allowed to play with crowds. 

However, Wakefield AFC can host 300 at the same venue. 

All in all, next year will be bleaker than this year in my opinion - I can't see a season start without crowds. 

If all teams manage to get up and running again, I think that will be a tremendous success. 

2008 RFL Wakefield & District Young Volunteer of the Year

9 minutes ago, kev p said:

any club getting crowds of below 2000 should easily get into any grounds with space on all 4 sides, should be plenty of space to "keep your 1 metre plus".

Yep Lg1 especially.

Take Workington Town - ground holds 10,000 and average crowd in Lg1 is about 650  so even a 1000 people would only be 10% of the capacity. Plenty of room to spread out in a big ground. The local football team across the road are allowed 300 in their 3000 capacity ground so no reason why the lower level RL teams cant.

5 hours ago, newbe said:

Will it be feasible that Ottawa will be  in league 1 next year????

Allegedly their plan includes being able to play out of the UK for as long as needed.

Given there's no sign yet of a loosening of Ontario sports rules, and the club have signed too many players just to delay to 2022, it looks like we're going to find out if the money is really there to play out of UK for several months. 

9 hours ago, Mr Frisky said:

Yep Lg1 especially.

Take Workington Town - ground holds 10,000 and average crowd in Lg1 is about 650  so even a 1000 people would only be 10% of the capacity. Plenty of room to spread out in a big ground. The local football team across the road are allowed 300 in their 3000 capacity ground so no reason why the lower level RL teams cant.

There are some odd ones in football too. For example, Lewes (men) can have crowds of up to 400 at their home ground of the Dripping Pan. Meanwhile, Lewes (women) can have crowds of up to 0 at their home ground of the Dripping Pan.

Nowhere is allowed more than 600.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

No reason for League 1 Clubs not to admit crowds if it is safe to do so , the att. figures aren`t that high . The problem is the cost of constantly testing the players .Something needs to be done  , a plan must be laid out in preparation for a 2021 season . If not Clubs are in limbo . Who do they sign ? When do they start training as they will have to be paid from this day forward ? How do they attract sponsors with all the uncertainty? The simple fact of the matter is without crowds , Clubs in Div 1 especially cannot survive .

1 hour ago, ivans82 said:

No reason for League 1 Clubs not to admit crowds if it is safe to do so , the att. figures aren`t that high . The problem is the cost of constantly testing the players .Something needs to be done  , a plan must be laid out in preparation for a 2021 season . If not Clubs are in limbo . Who do they sign ? When do they start training as they will have to be paid from this day forward ? How do they attract sponsors with all the uncertainty? The simple fact of the matter is without crowds , Clubs in Div 1 especially cannot survive .

Totally agree, also for clubs expecting to be in the relegation fight, their season could be over before crowds are even allowed in. 

HW

4 hours ago, ivans82 said:

Whilst agreeing with you, it's not down to League 1 clubs if they let fans in or not. The Government regulations at the moment do not allow for crowds of any size at what they class as elite sport. Much has been made of lower level football having fans in, but this equates to much lower down the pyramid than a League 1 equivalent. Fans are only allowed at football below Conference North/South, i.e. at the seventh tier!  

13 hours ago, Toby Chopra said:

Given there's no sign yet of a loosening of Ontario sports rules

If anything things are tightening up again, my eldest sons gridiron university team had started practicing in small groups, however in the last couple of weeks even that has been stopped. A couple of days ago all the universities alumni supporters received a recorded video message from the head coach where he stated they are hopeful of getting a season up and running in the fall of 2021, but certainly not any earlier, and remember they are playing against other Canadian teams, the biggest stumbling block to Ottawa being allowed to play at home will be whether the government relaxes its stance on international travel, because there for sure can be no home games if visiting teams aren’t allowed in the country. I do wonder what is written into the contracts of the players signed because honestly if they can defer to 2022 I think that’s what they would like to do as I’m sure they would want to launch the team with a big splash and there’s no way that can work if Canadian fans stand no chance of seeing any games in the flesh next year.

13 hours ago, gingerjon said:

There are some odd ones in football too. For example, Lewes (men) can have crowds of up to 400 at their home ground of the Dripping Pan. Meanwhile, Lewes (women) can have crowds of up to 0 at their home ground of the Dripping Pan.

Nowhere is allowed more than 600.

Cool name. Almost as good as Post Office Road.

9 hours ago, marklaspalmas said:

Cool name. Almost as good as Post Office Road.

The name is pretty much the only reason I used the example.

5 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

If we’re looking for a positive, we play through the summer, Rugby Union play through the winter, it should hit them harder than it hits us.

Who gives a stuff what union do or don't do ? 

On 19/10/2020 at 15:20, ivans82 said:

How much testing do non-league football clubs do, I wonder? The ones that are allowed small crowds in at the moment. Is it as much or less than SL clubs do in RL?

I suspect it's much less and surely the same rules should apply to lower league RL to allow safe, well spaced crowds and the same testing regime for players as in non-league football.

If fans are allowed in from next spring, what % of capacity is it likely to be? If it’s only 10-15% then it could be bad news for teams with basic, small facilities (thinking Sheffield, Oldham, Crusaders) and also bad news for SL clubs with small stadiums (Cas, Wakey), however there’s also some clubs that I don’t have a clue about such as

West Wales - what is the capacity there? If it’s Sheffield size they may be limited to a couple of hundred fans, yet they have just signed Chase and Henson so must have been planning on a big increase in crowds. Of course if their stadium is bigger then maybe not a problem

Broncos - I have only seen Trailfinders on TV and it’s looks really small, what is the actual capacity?

Bradford - playing at Dewsbury could be a problem given Bradfords crowds, another move? If so to where?

Also I have not got a clue what the current allowed capacity is at Whitehaven, Barrow, Fev? Would a 10-15% capacity limit impact these teams given their usual average crowds? I also know such a capacity restriction would hurt all the SL clubs (except maybe Huddersfield) but at least those with larger stadiums would be able to sell season tickets in a decent number, just probably no or little walk ups.

6 hours ago, Oldbear said:

If fans are allowed in from next spring, what % of capacity is it likely to be? If it’s only 10-15% then it could be bad news for teams with basic, small facilities (thinking Sheffield, Oldham, Crusaders) and also bad news for SL clubs with small stadiums (Cas, Wakey), however there’s also some clubs that I don’t have a clue about such as

West Wales - what is the capacity there? If it’s Sheffield size they may be limited to a couple of hundred fans, yet they have just signed Chase and Henson so must have been planning on a big increase in crowds. Of course if their stadium is bigger then maybe not a problem

Broncos - I have only seen Trailfinders on TV and it’s looks really small, what is the actual capacity?

Bradford - playing at Dewsbury could be a problem given Bradfords crowds, another move? If so to where?

Also I have not got a clue what the current allowed capacity is at Whitehaven, Barrow, Fev? Would a 10-15% capacity limit impact these teams given their usual average crowds? I also know such a capacity restriction would hurt all the SL clubs (except maybe Huddersfield) but at least those with larger stadiums would be able to sell season tickets in a decent number, just probably no or little walk ups.

Anything less than 30% probably isn't workable , that is about the average for most lower tier teams 

Archived