Championship/League 1 in 2021

9 hours ago, mrfranco said:

How much testing do non-league football clubs do, I wonder? The ones that are allowed small crowds in at the moment. Is it as much or less than SL clubs do in RL?

I suspect it's much less and surely the same rules should apply to lower league RL to allow safe, well spaced crowds and the same testing regime for players as in non-league football.

For reference, clubs at non league level are not required to do any testing.

I would also say, from experience, that if I were the government looking at this then the thing that would concern me most now is the take-up on logging in for the trace app. First couple of games I went to, it was close to 100% scanning in with the remainder signing in. Last time I went, that equivalent figure looked to be well under half.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, Oldbear said:

If fans are allowed in from next spring, what % of capacity is it likely to be?

Also I have not got a clue what the current allowed capacity is at Whitehaven, Barrow, Fev? Would a 10-15% capacity limit impact these teams given their usual average crowds?

It would be difficult to predict with stadia that has terracing where the absence of anti-crush barriers reduces the capacity. I wonder if common sense would apply to account for the fact that with a small percentage of capacity such barriers wouldn't be needed? Therefore some clubs could meet the distancing requirements with more than 10-15% inside the ground.

If crowds aren't allowed back until April.let's keep our fingers crossed that's its from April 1st, which happens to be Maundy Thursday. If games were played that evening, they could play again on Easter Tuesday, fitting two games in over the weekend, bearing in mind the season can't over-run if we are to fit the Wold Cup in. IMO I would start the league season off in April and use March for the preliminaries of the 1895 Cup, probably split into groups like we did with the NR Cup. If this competition doesn't fall under Sky's jurisdiction then these games could go out on PPV if crowds aren't allowed in?

2 minutes ago, Steve Slater said:

use March for the preliminaries of the 1895 Cup, probably split into groups like we did with the NR Cup. If this competition doesn't fall under Sky's jurisdiction then these games could go out on PPV if crowds aren't allowed in?

Or maybe offer this as a test with limited crowds, say up to 5% of capacity, that way any glitches could be sorted out before the season gets under way.

2 hours ago, Oldbear said:

Or maybe offer this as a test with limited crowds, say up to 5% of capacity, that way any glitches could be sorted out before the season gets under way.

5% of capacity would be an increased attendance for a number of league one clubs 

- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

37 minutes ago, Manx RL said:

5% of capacity would be an increased attendance for a number of league one clubs 

True, but I have no idea what the capacities are at some clubs, some stadia look really small.

9 hours ago, Manx RL said:

Maximum crowds if you worked at 5% (from wiki):

Barrow 380; Coventry 200; Doncaster 766; Hunslet 200; Keighley 390; London Skolars 100; Newcastle 510; North Wales 100; Rochdale 512; West Wales 185; Workington 500

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

Barrow 380; Coventry 200; Doncaster 766; Hunslet 200; Keighley 390; London Skolars 100; Newcastle 510; North Wales 100; Rochdale 512; West Wales 185; Workington 500

not too bad 😄

The % used in the northern premier league is a percentage of the minimum ground capacity grading,the premier division can have 600 where division 1 is 400. The ridiculousness is that my team Workington with a decent ground official capacity 3500 have 400 ,other teams with a small main stand and basic hard standing can have the same. I would guess if league 1 gives up its elite status 600 will be allowed at all games 

19 minutes ago, Route66 said:

The % used in the northern premier league is a percentage of the minimum ground capacity grading,the premier division can have 600 where division 1 is 400. The ridiculousness is that my team Workington with a decent ground official capacity 3500 have 400 ,other teams with a small main stand and basic hard standing can have the same. I would guess if league 1 gives up its elite status 600 will be allowed at all games 

I suspect giving up 'elite' status could have other ramifications around future funding, grants etc.

3 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

I suspect giving up 'elite' status could have other ramifications around future funding, grants etc.

Could be something in that South shields are complaining that the money that conference north teams are receiving far exceeds what they can make through their restricted gates. How championship/league 1 teams can budget on recruitment is unknown to me

On 22/10/2020 at 07:59, gingerjon said:

Each ground needs to be assessed separately because while some grounds may be bigger than others they might have inadequate toilet facilities? Some of the upgraded/modern stadia don't usually need to open up all their toilets, but could do so in the time of covid.

7 hours ago, Steve Slater said:

Each ground needs to be assessed separately because while some grounds may be bigger than others they might have inadequate toilet facilities? Some of the upgraded/modern stadia don't usually need to open up all their toilets, but could do so in the time of covid.

If no food or drink is being sold then it's much less of an issue 

If you look at the demographic spread of Championship/League 1 crowds I reckon the issue is how many of these fans will be persuaded or confident enough to return. A limitation on ground capacities could be the least of the problems.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

2 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

If you look at the demographic spread of Championship/League 1 crowds I reckon the issue is how many of these fans will be persuaded or confident enough to return. A limitation on ground capacities could be the least of the problems.

I'll be 3 score in a few weeks John , so getting to the fringe of the ' at risk ' , but I'd feel a whole lot safer stood on the North stand at the LSV wearing a mask than walking round the local ALDI ( other supermarkets are available ) or eating in the local ' spoons ' 

Who wants to die before watching their team play again ?

12 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

I would feel much safer at a R.L. match in the open air than i do in my local supermarket.And for us old un's time marches on we can't afford to miss many seasons there are not many left.

17 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

I'll be 3 score in a few weeks John , so getting to the fringe of the ' at risk ' , but I'd feel a whole lot safer stood on the North stand at the LSV wearing a mask than walking round the local ALDI ( other supermarkets are available ) or eating in the local ' spoons ' 

Who wants to die before watching their team play again ?

Yes, I understand, and I am a fair bit older than you. However I do know quite a few fans who will be very circumspect about freely mixing with others, even to follow a team that they have been watching for 60 years. Those of us on here are obsessives, admit it; others may have discovered that their interest or commitment has waned over the many months without.

Add to that those who are saying, quite reasonably, that they won't buy a season ticket when they don't know when they might be able to watch again nor how many matches they will be allowed to watch.

I believe that attendances will show a dip.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

2 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

Yes, I understand, and I am a fair bit older than you. However I do know quite a few fans who will be very circumspect about freely mixing with others, even to follow a team that they have been watching for 60 years. Those of us on here are obsessives, admit it; others may have discovered that their interest or commitment has waned over the many months without.

Add to that those who are saying, quite reasonably, that they won't buy a season ticket when they don't know when they might be able to watch again nor how many matches they will be allowed to watch.

Only one way to find out John 🤔

15 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

In the examples of places where crowds are now being accepted - which is basically lower tier non league football as we know - the evidence, such as it is, seems to show consistently higher crowds.

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

In the examples of places where crowds are now being accepted - which is basically lower tier non league football as we know - the evidence, such as it is, seems to show consistently higher crowds.

Evidence.......pah

22 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Only one way to find out John 🤔

And I look forward to that day Gubby.

10 hours ago, gingerjon said:

The flaw is that those crowds, more than likely, include a fair few folk who wouldn't normally be seen dead at lower tier non league football.

We can only wait and see.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

Archived