Merchandise during Covid

Are many clubs still managing to sell merchandise during Covid or are clubs on such a skeleton staff that dealing with merchandise sales (even via online stores) are just not happening? I’m guessing that Championship and L1 teams are shuttered up with no one working but wondered if some are managing to fulfill online sales.

The reason I ask is that I think it’s fair to assume that face masks will be a part of our lives for some time to come, so could clubs sell face masks branded with club badges to raise extra revenue. I have a Seattle Seahawks one but would love a Newcastle Thunder one if such a thing became available. Anyhow is the branded face mask idea feasible or would the numbers that would need to be ordered mean that the option is not viable? Could the RFL arrange a bulk deal for clubs and if so would they consider GB branded masks (I know that’s asking a lot given the discussions about mugs in the past) Do NRL clubs sell branded face masks (if so sign me up for a Panthers one).

Anyone able to add to this?

5 hours ago, Eddie said:

Lots of sports clubs in the UK are already doing them. I haven’t looked at other teams’ club shops but Saints definitely are and I know Warrington are because I’ve seen someone with one on.

Wigan have branded masks for sale too.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

33 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

That’s just to make the locals look more attractive though 

That’s known as an action benefitting the community in Canada!

So if Fax and Dewsbury can offer them, why not everyone? Missed opportunity, especially for the RFL who could be offering home nations ones as part of the World Cup preparation.

I bought a Wire BLM top, but don't tell Martyn.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

On 21/10/2020 at 03:08, Oldbear said:

Are many clubs still managing to sell merchandise during Covid or are clubs on such a skeleton staff that dealing with merchandise sales (even via online stores) are just not happening? I’m guessing that Championship and L1 teams are shuttered up with no one working but wondered if some are managing to fulfill online sales.

The reason I ask is that I think it’s fair to assume that face masks will be a part of our lives for some time to come, so could clubs sell face masks branded with club badges to raise extra revenue. I have a Seattle Seahawks one but would love a Newcastle Thunder one if such a thing became available. Anyhow is the branded face mask idea feasible or would the numbers that would need to be ordered mean that the option is not viable? Could the RFL arrange a bulk deal for clubs and if so would they consider GB branded masks (I know that’s asking a lot given the discussions about mugs in the past) Do NRL clubs sell branded face masks (if so sign me up for a Panthers one).

Anyone able to add to this?

yes.. bought a warrington one for me and my son was out to us within a day or so. His broke when he first put it on and when i emailed the club shop they replied and sorted a replacement within a day.. so think the club shop is up and running. 

In general loads of places are doing branded face masks, the RU club my son plays at has had them in, they sold out at the first junior training session and more are coming (£10.. easy money!)... also seen one of my old RL clubs at Hillsborough Hawks were doing some too, think it was sell them then order but cant remember. 

Some of the league one clubs may be caught between pro set ups (like warrington) and the enthusiastic amateur set ups.. 

7 hours ago, Oldbear said:

So if Fax and Dewsbury can offer them, why not everyone? Missed opportunity, especially for the RFL who could be offering home nations ones as part of the World Cup preparation.

its rugby league... we never miss an opportunity to miss and opportunity!

On 21/10/2020 at 03:08, Oldbear said:

Anyhow is the branded face mask idea feasible or would the numbers that would need to be ordered mean that the option is not viable?

Pretty much every merchandise supplier (I'm on a few mailing lists) are doing these and they are ridiculously cheap and given that most of them are as basic as "stick badge or logo to the side of a decently coloured face mask" they are quick and easy to do.

I would guess, for most, it would be minimum numbers required to order plus having someone on hand to fulfil and post out in good time. But as a basic offer, it's definitely feasible.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

13 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Who exactly is missing an opportunity though, it seems that most clubs are doing them. 

anyone who isnt doing one is missing an opportunity.. as GJ says it is very easy to do them.. so anyone.. RFL or club who isnt.. but i know most are and it was a tongue in cheek general comment about RL

On 21/10/2020 at 06:44, Eddie said:

Lots of sports clubs in the UK are already doing them. I haven’t looked at other teams’ club shops but Saints definitely are and I know Warrington are because I’ve seen someone with one on.

I looked on line yesterday funnily enough and Wigan were out of stock for facemasks. I almost thought of going to buy a Collingwood mask, but that would have been silly.

(...has anyone seen 'The Club'?)

25 minutes ago, RP London said:

anyone who isnt doing one is missing an opportunity.. as GJ says it is very easy to do them.. so anyone.. RFL or club who isnt.. but i know most are and it was a tongue in cheek general comment about RL

How many would North Wales Crusaders sell for example? Probably not worth their while. 

2 minutes ago, Eddie said:

How many would North Wales Crusaders sell for example? Probably not worth their while. 

Dunno mate to be honest but as a small local amatuer RL and RU club has been able to do it I would expect they would at least get some sold and every penny is worth the same.. these things are easy to do at the moment, we have looked at it at work and even small orders dont cost that much, and you cover that cost by selling them... to be honest i'm really not that bothered if clubs cant be bothered... The comment was made in relation to a post about the RFL missing the opportunity which I think is a valid point.. England branded stuff could have easily been done and i am sure would have sold. 

8 hours ago, Eddie said:

Who exactly is missing an opportunity though, it seems that most clubs are doing them. 

World Cup on the horizon, chance to sell some competing home nations masks. Also gets a little rise in profile.

Archived