No one has a grin at the Trin

Nothing in that surprises me at all. In fact Carter is as much of the problem as Chester and their best buddies act has grown tiresome. The pair of them are by all accounts as popular around the club as a fart in a lift. You'd like to think as chairman Miniards would take the lead but he is just Carters patsy.

3 hours ago, Wakey Til I Die said:

Nothing in that surprises me at all. In fact Carter is as much of the problem as Chester and their best buddies act has grown tiresome. The pair of them are by all accounts as popular around the club as a fart in a lift. You'd like to think as chairman Miniards would take the lead but he is just Carters patsy.

Completely agree. I'm not a Trin fan, but for me the problems seem to stem from the boardroom downwards. 

Carter has taken a combative stance with the players at seemingly every turn. Trinity were one of the last clubs to agree a COVID pay deal with the union. Having done so, Carter made that sinister remark about "remembering those who didn't agree pay cuts". Not long after, he went on a fan forum and belittled a player who felt the need to take a second job as a zero-hour courier by claiming that he "wished he was on what that player was on at 21" (despite that being >30 years ago). The club has been named and shamed for minimum wage breaches on his watch and most recently, he's stood by his coach as he has talked on record about sacking players.

Today he is in the press telling the players to "grow a pair" and take their complaints to him, seemingly oblivious to the impact that his "we will remember your insubordination" remarks and talk of player clear-outs may have on the willingness of the players to raise grievances to him. It's not "balls" that RL players lack - it's job and financial security and, apparently in this case, respect from their employer. 

Carter can run the club how he likes and he can show as much or as little respect to the players as he likes, but he cannot expect his approach not to have consequences. Looking at Wakefield's recent results and performances as a non-Trin fan, you have to say that this is the consequence of his combative, zero-empathy approach. 

Not a very happy camp at all and as WMS highlights there's a lot leading up to this point which makes this current situation unsurprising. Critical failures of leadership from the boardroom down and basically the division is somewhere on that ladder. 

I really cant believe how naive Chester and Carter have been . This all started months back with snide comments from both of them. Last week was the final straw when Chester made that stupid press release about wanting to sack a group of players. What did they expect other than an escalating public fall out. 

I have heard plenty of stuff myself from several previously reliable sources that Chester has lost control of things. People will draw their own conclusions regarding the situation. However what is undeniable that last season and this season the win loss ratio of Chester would not have been tolerated at the vast majority of clubs.

There’s some pretty strong claims in there against Chester, some of which I reckon he probably could seek damages from should he feel strong enough.

That said, morale appears to be lower than a snakes belly at Wakefield and you’d expect them to make changes. Heading into what looks like being a massive year for the game of Rugby League, let alone for Wakefield Trinity, you’d think they’d be doing all they can to not finish bottom, regardless of whether we have twelve teams or not. 

15 minutes ago, RS said:

Shame Sunday’s game is not on Sky. It’s a sort of must win for Trinity in terms of dignity 

Thursday's v Shudds comes 1st.

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

How do the rest of the SL chairmen view Carter? If he’s unpopular could this put Wakey on dodgy ground in the future, given their recent record and the unsuitability of BV as a SL stadium. Whether we like it or not at some point SL is going to need to decide on its future structure, and that decision will come once the new TV deal is agreed, and if we assume that TWP are rejected (possible) then will the chairmen be tempted to cut to 10 clubs, especially if the next TV deal is lower, in which case could the other chairmen see Wakey as the candidate for the chop, especially if Carter is unpopular outside the club.

I personally don’t like that idea, I’m old fashioned enough to say the field is where things should be decided, hence why I think it’s really important not to finish bottom this year, just in case. The problem for Wakey seems to be that the Carter/Chester double act is not helping things.

7 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Wakefield haven’t really returned from lockdown. 10 defeats in a row, I think. Not hard to see the damage done by Michael Carter’s Victorian mill owner’s attitude towards his players. 

Got to be hard to play against Super League players after a 40 hour week delivering parcels to bored people working from home. 

8 hours ago, RigbyLuger said:

Is Kershaw another Hampshire, a player (or agent) who thinks they can get a better deal elsewhere, but found out that wasn't the case?

Hampshire isn't helped by his dad being vocal on "other" forums.

It looks that way, it just didn't need to be played out in public.

There was a massive spat last year when Hampshire said he found out his contract wasn't getting renewed on Twitter, but it was he/his agent who refused the offer in the first place  so I never bought into that.

Kershaw is a young lad who hasn't really made his mark in the first team but again he/his agent felt he was worth more then the contract offer so he wanted to move on. Where Trinity could've helped was to waive the fee they were due as a club trained player, although as a club not awash with money I understand why. 

The current situation i feel is a perfect storm, Chester has been at the club for 5 years now which is a long time in pro sport these days. We play the same way as we have throughout his tenure so teams can easily defend us. He's out of ideas and is now criticising his players openly.

The players need understand they are professional players and owe it to themselves to give it their best regardless of what they think of their boss, if they want out there are channels to go through, again not the press. 

Carter has generally done well running the club on a tight ship but recently his forthright and abrupt manner is coming to bite him on the backside. It was almost as if it was a surprise the wage reductions went down like a fart in a lift and again the snide comment wasn't required, and certainly not in the public domain. It's a difficult situation and it has affected everyone in the country/world so it's a bit much to think the players could be shielded from it, but there are ways and means. I imagine the negotiations at Trinity were more stick than carrot. 

Ultimately this is a mess that needs everyone to reconcile for it to move on. 

Chester isn't going anywhere, it would cost too much money to sack him.

27 minutes ago, PREPOSTEROUS said:

The players need understand they are professional players and owe it to themselves to give it their best regardless of what they think of their boss, if they want out there are channels to go through, again not the press. 

I get this to a point but at the same time, Carter and Chester have a responsibility to ensure that the players are motivated and are working in an environment that allows and encourages them to perform to their best. We can all feel an obligation to "work professionally" but at the same time, nobody feels motivated to work in an unrewarding environment where we don't feel appreciated. 

Judging purely from what we, as Joe Public, can see in the press, it would seem clear that Carter and Chester don't value their players - be that financially, emotionally or professionally. If you value people, you communicate with them and are empathetic to their concerns. You don't chastise them in public because things aren't going your way. 

I also wouldn't blame the players for feeling that they don't have channels to raise their grievances to the club hierarchy, or that the channels that did exist have been actively shut-off by the club management. Again, RL is not secure employment at the best of times, especially this coming year when the recruitment market is likely to be depressed. If you're a player in a precarious contract position, listening to your CEO talking about how he plans to deal with dissention in the ranks over pay cuts and listening to your Head Coach talking openly about sacking players, are you going to start raising concerns? 

This is the working culture that Carter has created at Wakefield and, what would concern me most if I were a Wakefield fan, he seems to be reveling in it.  

20 minutes ago, whatmichaelsays said:

I get this to a point but at the same time, Carter and Chester have a responsibility to ensure that the players are motivated and are working in an environment that allows and encourages them to perform to their best. We can all feel an obligation to "work professionally" but at the same time, nobody feels motivated to work in an unrewarding environment where we don't feel appreciated. 

Judging purely from what we, as Joe Public, can see in the press, it would seem clear that Carter and Chester don't value their players - be that financially, emotionally or professionally. If you value people, you communicate with them and are empathetic to their concerns. You don't chastise them in public because things aren't going your way. 

I also wouldn't blame the players for feeling that they don't have channels to raise their grievances to the club hierarchy, or that the channels that did exist have been actively shut-off by the club management. Again, RL is not secure employment at the best of times, especially this coming year when the recruitment market is likely to be depressed. If you're a player in a precarious contract position, listening to your CEO talking about how he plans to deal with dissention in the ranks over pay cuts and listening to your Head Coach talking openly about sacking players, are you going to start raising concerns? 

This is the working culture that Carter has created at Wakefield and, what would concern me most if I were a Wakefield fan, he seems to be reveling in it.  

Understand that too, but channels could involve the players union too if they felt they couldn't speak direct to the boss. There is no one issue here, it's a variety and all at the club should take responsibility. 

Playing it out in the open, which Carter and Chester started, is only going to end in tears for all. 

21 minutes ago, whatmichaelsays said:

This is the working culture that Carter has created at Wakefield and, what would concern me most if I were a Wakefield fan, he seems to be reveling in it

That is most worrying. Who would really want to go to Wakey right now? Aside from the poor facilities to train in etc, minimal chance of actually winning anything, and accepted lower levels of remuneration, now you've got a toxic work environment. How can you recruit into that?

14 hours ago, Oldbear said:

How do the rest of the SL chairmen view Carter? If he’s unpopular could this put Wakey on dodgy ground in the future, given their recent record and the unsuitability of BV as a SL stadium. Whether we like it or not at some point SL is going to need to decide on its future structure, and that decision will come once the new TV deal is agreed, and if we assume that TWP are rejected (possible) then will the chairmen be tempted to cut to 10 clubs, especially if the next TV deal is lower, in which case could the other chairmen see Wakey as the candidate for the chop, especially if Carter is unpopular outside the club.

I personally don’t like that idea, I’m old fashioned enough to say the field is where things should be decided, hence why I think it’s really important not to finish bottom this year, just in case. The problem for Wakey seems to be that the Carter/Chester double act is not helping things.

His main partner in crime amongst other Superleague clubs is Hudgell and he is off. He could start to become quite exposed.

Anyone's views changed after Jacob Miller's post-match interview and the general impression given by Chester's address to the team, who applauded him before they went to the sheds?

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived