Sun 25 Oct: NRL Grand Final : Penrith Panthers v Melbourne Storm KO 8.30am (UK Time)

DavidM

yes - the panthers in theory are a young squad that should have a golden era in front of them- but this is not the era of 1980s parramatta - players change clubs in the nrl these days like my mrs changes her moods - expect in 4 years time for that team to be unrecognisable with those lovely player agents looking out for "whats best" for their client.

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Pulga said:

England are as far away from beating the Kangaroos as they've ever been. The worrying thing for England is though that Tonga, Fiji and PNG (also possibly Samoa) are closer to beating the Kangaroos than ever before.

That's very worrying for Australia as well.

If the best players in the world are playing for PI nations they wont be playing SOO a huge blow for Australian Rugby League as it claims the best players in the world play SOO.

6 minutes ago, lucky 7 said:

That's very worrying for Australia as well.

If the best players in the world are playing for PI nations they wont be playing SOO a huge blow for Australian Rugby League as it claims the best players in the world play SOO.

squads just announced- the maroons squad looks the poorest in my memory

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

Just now, graveyard johnny said:

squads just announced- the maroons squad looks the poorest in my memory

If this is the shape of things to come for SOO the Aussies will have to take international Rugby League seriously again and not think of SOO as the pinnacle of the game.

Various bits of trolling and pointless insults between two individuals have now been removed from this thread.

If it continues, those individuals will be removed from the forum until further notice.

Those who would like to discuss the game, and not take pops at each other, please carry on.

Thanks.

Here are the test nations represented today (a couple of players had multiple countries).  Six Australian test players and 18 'other'.  This can only be great for international League.

New Zealand = 7

Australia = 6

Samoa = 4

Tonga = 2

Fiji = 2

Cook Islands = 1

Lebanon = 1

PNG = 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Dejected😞 but you can't play as poorly as that and expect to win a game especially against the Storm who other than their last try didn't really create anything but ground it out in their inimitable style. The Panther's Half's and Korisau were very subdued by them and what's the idea of throwing a high pass and two short kick offs to Vaunivalus wing? You might as well just hand the ball over.

It was a scrappy game with no real standout player and plenty of contentious decisions but that wasn't why the Panther's lost that was down to their own failings.

7 minutes ago, DavidM said:

See Gus is getting a good reaction down under for his impartial commentary ...😬

Everyone knows exactly what you get with Gus.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

36 minutes ago, arcticchris said:

As a Storm fan I am happy with the win but considering all the great finals series games from the last two rounds of the finals this game was a big step down in quality.

As a Penrith fan I must congratulate you on your win. Your defence for periods in the first half was outstanding and the game was over when it reached 26-0 in the second half. Our season's best player had probably his worst game of the season but will gain from the experience.

A disappointing end to our club's long winning run but it had to end sometime. At the start of the playoff series I said on here that we would not win the Minor Premiership and GF double  and unfortunately I was correct.

Will be at the Penrith Leagues Club tomorrow for lunch and a shandy!

10 minutes ago, George Watt said:

As a Penrith fan I must congratulate you on your win. Your defence for periods in the first half was outstanding and the game was over when it reached 26-0 in the second half. Our season's best player had probably his worst game of the season but will gain from the experience.

A disappointing end to our club's long winning run but it had to end sometime. At the start of the playoff series I said on here that we would not win the Minor Premiership and GF double  and unfortunately I was correct.

Will be at the Penrith Leagues Club tomorrow for lunch and a shandy!

Thanks. Your guys had a fantastic season but I always had a suspicion that the big game experience would prove to be the difference maker and so it came to pass.

Crichton looks to be a lavishly talented player at Left Centre and so dangerous.

21 hours ago, dkw said:

Evening up,the only bad bunker calls were for Penrith’s first try where the bunker didn’t know the rules and the Hughes sinbin.

Im no Storm fan but they did a job on Penrith who were all over the place before the bunker stepped in and gave them a leg up.

In shock other news Cameron Smith will face no sanction for telling Sutton to stop picking things out just to give an exciting finish , after the Hughes sin bin .... it’s been mentioned that other figures in the game have been fined for similar  comments at officials , but this is different and Sutton has been ordered to write to Cameron immediately with a fullsome apology ( ok I made that bit up )

38 minutes ago, DavidM said:

In shock other news Cameron Smith will face no sanction for telling Sutton to stop picking things out just to give an exciting finish , after the Hughes sin bin .... it’s been mentioned that other figures in the game have been fined for similar  comments at officials , but this is different and Sutton has been ordered to write to Cameron immediately with a fullsome apology ( ok I made that bit up )

He shouldn’t but that clown in the bunker should write a public one for not knowing the rules of the game.

42 minutes ago, DavidM said:

We have to give Smith credit for being one of the best refs the game has ever seen.

If he retires i certainly won't miss his challenging of more or less every decision that goes against his team, even if it's clear infringement.

Archived