What would you write a novel about?

They say we all have over in us

They also say authors ships write about t what they know

I read a lot of murder mysteries and whatever chick lit trash my wife has finished with. I then mix it up with more worthy stuff in the holidays when my mind is up to it (Booker nominations etc) 

I'll definitely do it one day. Think mine will be a murder mystery one but interested what other people would fancy 

Just now, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

They say we all have one in us

They also say authors ships write about t what they know

I read a lot of murder mysteries and whatever chick lit trash my wife has finished with. I then mix it up with more worthy stuff in the holidays when my mind is up to it (Booker nominations etc) 

I'll definitely do it one day. Think mine will be a murder mystery one but interested what other people would fancy 

They say write what you know in which case I hope there's a market for a mystery about a middle manager who is launched into a maelstrom of intrigue and sexual tension as he tries to establish who's turn it is to make the tea this time.

it was Sam's but he's heading off early today so we're on our own and Tracy made it last time

20 hours ago, Shadow said:

They say write what you know in which case I hope there's a market for a mystery about a middle manager who is launched into a maelstrom of intrigue and sexual tension as he tries to establish who's turn it is to make the tea this time.

Reveal hidden contents

it was Sam's but he's heading off early today so we're on our own and Tracy made it last time

I'd also include who had the remote control last

Volume two will centre on the mystery identity and unmasking of the owner of teh lime green fiesta that parks in the office car park.

It will be a rollercoaster of a journey, accusation and counter accusation, covert surveillance, secret messages and a simmering background of barely suppressed desire as a young middle manager tries to make it in a crazy world. 

Volume three will focus be far more intellectually challenging and will focus on the complexities of the Holiday booking wallchart and the ensuing hilarity. 

21 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I'll definitely do it one day. 

Why wait? 🙂 It's national novel writing month in November. The basic premise is write 2000 words or so every day for a month and you've got yourself the draft of a novel. Happens every year and there's  lots of support and resources. https://nanowrimo.org/ 

I've written a few non-fiction books, had a call with the publisher yesterday about making a short promotional video for my current one (technical, university-level textbook). That seems easier to me than a novel though.

I've dabbled in writing over the years. Since I was a kid I always wanted to be a writer, as I've got older I've become more grounded and realised it's probably not going to happen although I have written a few novels over the years and must have written detailed plans for a hundred other stories, although I never managed to get the novels published, probably a relief thinking back cos they weren't exactly the best quality.

They were a dystopian sci-fi novel about a shady government that clones people and harvests their body parts.

A crime thriller about a hitman set in Hull.

And a novel about childhood friends who enter a gay relationship together. 

Should I try to focus on writing again, which I probably will at some point, I will probably look at writing a travelogue about my early travel experiences and the silly mistakes I made and what I learnt from them. 

48 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

a dystopian sci-fi novel about a shady government that clones people and harvests their body parts.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

5 hours ago, JonM said:

Why wait? 🙂 It's national novel writing month in November. The basic premise is write 2000 words or so every day for a month and you've got yourself the draft of a novel. Happens every year and there's  lots of support and resources. https://nanowrimo.org/ 

I've written a few non-fiction books, had a call with the publisher yesterday about making a short promotional video for my current one (technical, university-level textbook). That seems easier to me than a novel though.

I didn't even know next month was that! 

Maybe I'll look at it

It's one of those challenges I have in life. A big one was learning a language fluently which I did from scratch when I moved abroad 

Another one is visiting 100 countries. I'm half way there with that and fancy it before I'm 60

I guess I have a novel pencilled in for retirement. I get through one a week or do so I have an idea of structure. I think I'd probably like to do a course first maybe

1 hour ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Another one is visiting 100 countries. I'm half way there with that and fancy it before I'm 60

I've done 70ish, but I think it might be quite a while before I add to the list, particularly as I'd prefer not to do any more flying.

7 hours ago, Shadow said:

I see Tom Hiddleston in the role of Shadow the middle manager with Scarlett Johansson in the role of Love interest for the middle manager when I come to sell the film rights.  

I'd accept Tom Hiddleston, but only because Rondo Hatton is no longer alive and working.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived