Fri 23 Oct: SL: Wigan Warriors v Salford Red Devils KO 5.30pm (TV)

Who will win?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Wigan Warriors
    • Salford Red Devils

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 23/10/20 at 17:00

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, Segovia Carpet said:

Hard to compete with the money angle.   Hastings & French will be on more than Salfords 1-7 & bench - Fact of life not complaining

Both sides have the same TV money.

Salford tonight have sadly given away soft errors on the 1st/2nd  tackle.

Best showing by Hastings this season? I think it might be.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

35 minutes ago, Segovia Carpet said:

Hard to compete with the money angle.   Hastings & French will be on more than Salfords 1-7 & bench - Fact of life not complaining

So the answer is to pay the Salford players a lot more and they'll be better players?

I think Salford put in a creditable performance tonight considering the cup final and Wigans return to superform.

1 hour ago, Old Frightful said:

Along with several others on here, I saw Powell lose control of the ball but awarded a try.

It seems only one or two didn't see it, Padge and the video ref.

So...the two who really matter saw it as a try? 😊

12 minutes ago, Segovia Carpet said:

You missed my point Rupe.

Hastings & French are marquee players.

The only marquee we have is a tent selling Greene king

This is of course true.   I appreciate that my point is a harsh one.

All the more reason why I regularly call for the end of relegation.

6 minutes ago, JohnM said:

So the answer is to pay the Salford players a lot more and they'll be better players?

I think Salford put in a creditable performance tonight considering the cup final and Wigans return to superform.

"Superform" -  at risk of engaging you in some insanely frustrating online exchange, is that an actual word? 

I'd hate to be the person who has to mop up the commentary box floor tonight after that Wigan love-in. 

Bevan French is great to watch though, when he's not playing against your own team.

Salford did well to keep it to 58, they were never in it from the off, it's going to be a slog to the end of this competition. French, who couldn't nail down a place at the Eels proves outstanding once again. The fact that him and such as Coote, Hastings, Sezer can come over here and dominate the game should set the alarm bells ringing for our game internationally but as it's been happening for years and we still hype up average player's and pick them at international level doesn't indicate that any lessons have been learned.

3 minutes ago, Clogiron said:

Salford did well to keep it to 58, they were never in it from the off, it's going to be a slog to the end of this competition. French, who couldn't nail down a place at the Eels proves outstanding once again. The fact that him and such as Coote, Hastings, Sezer can come over here and dominate the game should set the alarm bells ringing for our game internationally but as it's been happening for years and we still hype up average player's and pick them at international level doesn't indicate that any lessons have been learned.

What a comfortable hobbyhorse that must be. Enjoy your despair.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

17 minutes ago, JohnM said:

So...the two who really matter saw it as a try? 😊

Woah there John, I have not stated if I thought it was a try or not, there are the usual suspects jumping to conclusions. I have pointed out why it was given as a try.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

9 minutes ago, Clogiron said:

1 was a first choice FB for many years in the NRL and was regarded as top quality, another was a highly rated young prospect who fell out with his club and came here, and another was in the NRL GF the season before he came to SL.

French plays a different game, that suits SL, because he is quick and agile - the same thing happens with other players that are similar to that, it is a different competition completely. 

I am not sure what average players are being hyped up and picked at international level, seeing how we haven't played one in about a year.

5 minutes ago, Clogiron said:

Coote won a Premiership but lost his way. French was one of the most exciting players in the NRL when he burst onto the scene but also lost his way. Hastings was always talented but had issues off the field. Sezer played in a GF last year.

They weren’t the best players in the NRL granted, and their talent does stick out more in SL, but I think you’re being a bit harsh.

3 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Ominously good Wigan performance as we approach the pointy end of the season.  Bevan French takes the glory but Jackson Hastings was doing that puppetmaster thing like it’s his ball and his game. 

Yes.  All true.  But I would be cautious.  Salford could not get up for it tonight. So the points are flattering, and it fell open for French.  No one can give him half an opening.

Off topic... SKY have 2 games now where both Cup Finalists are knackered or shattered or weakened.  Commentators do their best to talk it up, and the virus is a big problem... but our product is stretched to say the least.

And even as I type, Saints score already.

19 minutes ago, Clogiron said:

The NRL must be in a bad way if a bang average player can score 36 tries in only 47 appearances and such average players can feature in Grand Finals.

13 minutes ago, Padge said:

Woah there John, I have not stated if I thought it was a try or not, there are the usual suspects jumping to conclusions. I have pointed out why it was given as a try.

Just supporting our fishing industry. 🙂🙂

2 hours ago, Futtocks said:

What a comfortable hobbyhorse that must be. Enjoy your despair.

It's just a jaundiced view of a game that I have been watching for 58 year's where we have been playing catch-up to the Aussies for the last 50 and failing miserably 😐

2 hours ago, Click said:

1 was a first choice FB for many years in the NRL and was regarded as top quality, another was a highly rated young prospect who fell out with his club and came here, and another was in the NRL GF the season before he came to SL.

French plays a different game, that suits SL, because he is quick and agile - the same thing happens with other players that are similar to that, it is a different competition completely. 

I am not sure what average players are being hyped up and picked at international level, seeing how we haven't played one in about a year.

If you believe the likes of Liam Farrell, Sam Tompkins and Gildart are going to strike fear into the hearts of the Australian's I'm glad I don't live in your World.

11 minutes ago, Clogiron said:

It's just a jaundiced view of a game that I have been watching for 58 year's where we have been playing catch-up to the Aussies for the last 50 and failing miserably 😐

I understand your point. 

I think French and Coote on current form would make the Australian team. If they have players better than those 2 then they really must be special.

I think Ratchford at Warrington is the only player who has the same all round skills set and he runs them very close. In fact I did think he was Australian until recently he was so good.

French was unplayable tonight and Wigan were great to watch. Farrell also played well I thought. Salford weren't at their best but still put some good moves together.

Archived