Summer Rugby. A time to take stock?

Has summer rugby been a success?  One big loss has been post season away tours and mid season home internationals.  An other possibility is more injuries in summer(?).

One drawback (perhaps the biggest?) for winter rugby is that several clubs share stadiums with football clubs.

The NRL happily play in their winter (and thanks to the gulf stream our winter climate is relatively mild), and the NFL play games in some terrible winter conditions.  But in any event, have we at all improved our profile thanks to summer rugby.  

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I spend all of February and March freezing on the terraces thanking the gods that we will have a good few months of summer rugby.

I dont want to go back to The Watersheddings ever again.

But that misses the point...

3 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

I dont want to go back to The Watersheddings ever again.

But that misses the point...

It doesn't, you asked to "take stock" of summer rugby. A full generation have grown up only knowing it and accept it as fact now.

10 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

It doesn't, you asked to "take stock" of summer rugby. A full generation have grown up only knowing it and accept it as fact now.

And I pointed out other drawbacks. There may be others.  Clearly weather is an issue and these days I feel the cold something chronic.  So are we so much more nesh than our Antipodian counterparts, or fans from Denver or New England?

But is it the cold, or was it that pre summer it was prone to have games cancelled?  However pitches are better now and we can have artificial ones, and (some) stadiums and environs can cope better.

On the whole attendances are up in Super League and the standard of Rugby is better in Summer with better weather and pitches.

The big negatives for me as are that we haven't seen the boost that was talked about from a synchronised Northern and Southern hemisphere season. If anything things are worse in some respects. Also the amateur game never really seems to have fitted in with summer rugby. The season also shouldn't be starting in January and it should be a March start with less games and mid season international breaks for both hemispheres.

I certainly wouldn't want to go back to winter rugby but I think summer rugby could be done much better too than it currently is.

4 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Not competing with football for the whole of the season is a big advantage of summer rugby. 

I doubt it makes any difference. There's barely 6 weeks of the year where we don't compete with football in some shape or other, and there's plenty of other distractions in that period to worry about. 

That said, I can't see any compelling reason to switch the professional game back to winter. I do wonder though whether the amateur and junior game might think again. There's so many other distractions to participation in July and August. 

41 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

I doubt it makes any difference. There's barely 6 weeks of the year where we don't compete with football in some shape or other, and there's plenty of other distractions in that period to worry about. 

That said, I can't see any compelling reason to switch the professional game back to winter. I do wonder though whether the amateur and junior game might think again. There's so many other distractions to participation in July and August. 

Early May to mid August for most clubs, unless involved in the play offs. Take Halifax (as a random example), means the RL and football clubs aren’t competing for fans in that period. 

56 minutes ago, Damien said:

Also the amateur game never really seems to have fitted in with summer rugby.

This, so very true, I remember oh to well with the discussions we had at the Amatuer club I was with, those in favour were saying how it would entice more to take up the sport and would especially be appealing to younger kids, I countered with as opposed to winter there is much going on in summer and she who has the influence will not be wanting to give up all the good weekends available - which incidentally - includes the kids, also weddings, stag do's, arranged weekends etc will all take their toll, it is one aspect of my train of thought that I wished I got wrong.

But sadly as Tommygilf says there is generation who know nothing different and being conditioned to warmer weather I don't think wild horses could drag them out all over winter.

This before I am accused is not a 'rose tinted' return plea for the good old days it is statement that I believe was a very wrong decision for the Amatuer game.

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Not competing with football for the whole of the season is a big advantage of summer rugby. 

Disagree, look at number now playing in the summer and then back to the mid 90's. the RFL have been lucky the wrong people are in control at BARLA.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

1 minute ago, Marauder said:

Disagree, look at number now playing in the summer and then back to the mid 90's. the RFL have been lucky the wrong people are in control at BARLA.

I was thinking of spectators. There are loads of other reasons for playing numbers declining. 

2 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Then watch them start reducing in participation numbers, not immediately, but it will happen.

Their numbers are already declining and have been for several years now.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

37 minutes ago, JonM said:

The fact that the RFU are actively considering switching to summer for the same reasons that we did it in 1995 tells you all you need to know.

Union is not, as I understand it, proposing the whole sport shift to summer, just the professional tiers, mainly to align the international calendar. 

There's absolutely no way the union community game will switch - the types that populate my local club are strongly committed to a whole range of other summer sports and pursuits that they won't be sacrificing. 

Archived