... the Watneys Party 7! You can now relive part of your youth and drink piddle in the comfort of your own home or go down the park for a more realistic reminisce!

Although given the current situation a Party 6 would have been better? 

Edit: here if you want to buy:

https://party-seven.com/?fbclid=IwAR3RqRldqA2V6T6udBejYb46WM8_YqF6PtNfdNg3qyYRTMfwL5HNmWROt94

55 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

... the Watneys Party 7! You can now relive part of your youth and drink piddle in the comfort of your own home or go down the park for a more realistic reminisce!

Although given the current situation a Party 6 would have been better? 

Edit: here if you want to buy:

https://party-seven.com/?fbclid=IwAR3RqRldqA2V6T6udBejYb46WM8_YqF6PtNfdNg3qyYRTMfwL5HNmWROt94

Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

7 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

We much preferred the Tetley's Party 4 🤢. My mate still goes on about the tooth he chipped trying to open one of those by biting the end of the can over 40 years later.....

There used to be a brewery in Northern Ontario that produced a plastic beer keg (smaller size) with a pump on top.  In bush parties you would throw it into the lake for the evening with an anchor weight and swim to it and drink your fill from the top hose...theses were pretty wild parties and once the keg was done it was brought in from the beach and the person that had finished it had to wear it on their head (we quickly cut the plastic bottom out and a rectangle to expose the face area) and the rule was they had to wear it for the rest of the night as they morphed into a 'space alien'...you can imagine them coming out of the darkness of the Bush upon you...Ahh... the memories.

Please tell me Watney's have changed their recipe, for God's sake! It became a byword for vile keg beer before CAMRA started to have an effect. Even Monty Python quoted it in that sketch about holidays on the Costa del Gammon.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

3 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Please tell me Watney's have changed their recipe, for God's sake! It became a byword for vile keg beer before CAMRA started to have an effect. Even Monty Python quoted it in that sketch about holidays on the Costa del Gammon.

We asked legendary beer sommelier Jane Peyton to tell us what she thought of the Party Seven.

"The Party Seven starts with a burst of tangerine and orange blossom in the aroma. This is repeated in the flavour with orange, grapefruit, and pine overlaying a base of malt biscuits. Smooth on the palate, the beer has a firm bitterness upfront which lingers on the finish."

Must admit, it's not quite how I remember it but I suppose I don't have quite as refined a plate.....

A year or two ago I went into the excellent King's Arms on Roupell Street near Waterloo to find Watney's Red Barrel on (never been back). The idea seems to be to resurrect a famous name with brand awareness in a similar fashion to that done by Trumans (successfully) and Taylor Walker (less so) or even in the East Anglian wilds Lacons. I am not sure given how toxic the brand awareness of Watneys must be whether it is that good an idea.

2 hours ago, Jeff Stein said:

A year or two ago I went into the excellent King's Arms on Roupell Street near Waterloo to find Watney's Red Barrel on (never been back). The idea seems to be to resurrect a famous name with brand awareness in a similar fashion to that done by Trumans (successfully) and Taylor Walker (less so) or even in the East Anglian wilds Lacons. I am not sure given how toxic the brand awareness of Watneys must be whether it is that good an idea.

Watney's is to beer what Blue Nun is to wine. Both have tried to re-invent themselves, and it would be churlish to dismiss them out of hand, if they have improved their product for modern tastes.

But imagine being at the supermarket till and realising that someone you know might see you buying it... that's a psychological hurdle.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, graveyard johnny said:

noticed the babycham was on the isles in the supermarket  last week - pick up a vesta from poundstrecher and thats the evening sorted

Given that Babycham is actually a perry, I'm surprised they didn't capitalise more on the cider revival of the last decade.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Given that Babycham is actually a perry, I'm surprised they didn't capitalise more on the cider revival of the last decade.

plus the fact everyone loves babies, champagne and baby deer- must have had a terrible marketing team

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

4 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

plus the fact everyone loves babies, champagne and baby deer- must have had a terrible marketing team

Maybe, like Blue Nun wine, the brand just has too much historical baggage to be huge again, even for the post-modern, ironic crowd.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Maybe, like Blue Nun wine, the brand just has too much historical baggage to be huge again, even for the post-modern, ironic crowd.

luckily we can just walk down the road anywhere in britain these days- find a german supermarket and purchase an array of cheap shy t without a fancy label

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

8 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

luckily we can just walk down the road anywhere in britain these days- find a german supermarket and purchase an array of cheap shy t without a fancy label

And it's quite often cheap good stuff, instead of cheap bad stuff. Blue Nun currently sells for about a fiver, and somewhere like Lidl would have many wines at that price or less which are pretty decent.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 24/10/2020 at 23:44, voteronniegibbs said:

Shipstones was legendary round Notts for many a wrong reason. Sorted the men from the boys, if you could sup your fill and not spend most of the next day on the bog. Eventually bought out by Greenalls and disappeared into history. A local micro brewery has taken on the name and uses archived recipes to make bitter and nut Brown.

A friend once told me that a local bit of doggerel was "Shipstone's 'Shippos' makes you sh*t like hippos!"  You seem to be confirming the accuracy of this charming piece of poetry.

On 25/10/2020 at 13:07, Futtocks said:

Ooh, careful, Futtocks!  Us purists suspect that the juice milled from proper perry pears never wasn't greatly used in Shepton Mallet, where I think Babycham was manufactured.  For one thing, Somerset is not really a perry pear growing area.  I would suspect that pear concentrate from poor quality, left-over dessert and culinary pears was used, to the extent that pear juice was used at all!

I also suspect that, back in the day when Babysham had a big following, the word 'perry' had no protection.  I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't even now.  (Come to that, I am not sure what is happening with all the food products that had some form of protection from imitation in the EU)

5 minutes ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

Ooh, careful, Futtocks!  Us purists suspect that the juice milled from proper perry pears never wasn't greatly used in Shepton Mallet, where I think Babycham was manufactured.  For one thing, Somerset is not really a perry pear growing area.  I would suspect that pear concentrate from poor quality, left-over dessert and culinary pears was used, to the extent that pear juice was used at all!

I also suspect that, back in the day when Babysham had a big following, the word 'perry' had no protection.  I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't even now.  (Come to that, I am not sure what is happening with all the food products that had some form of protection from imitation in the EU)

A history: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babycham

"To supply the production line perry pears were planted in Somerset, Gloucestershire, Worcestershire and Hereford. Until suitable trees could be grown locally pear juice was imported from Switzerland."

Ralph Waldo Emerson

25 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

A history: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babycham

"To supply the production line perry pears were planted in Somerset, Gloucestershire, Worcestershire and Hereford. Until suitable trees could be grown locally pear juice was imported from Switzerland."

Thanks for the quote, Futtocks, but I will treat it with a degree of suspicion.  Perry pear trees do not begin to fruit particularly quickly, hence the old saying, "Plant pears for your heirs."  So even significant planting would have struggled to provide enough fruit for the Babycham boom.

My copy of the definitive Pears of Gloucestershire and Perry Pears of the Three Counties by Charles Martell is mostly a descriptive and illustrated list of all the known varieties, but it has a short introduction, which makes no mention of the apparent major tree planting of Showerings; if that had been significant, I would have thought it would be recalled.  Also, i cannot remember any perry pear tree variety examples in the text being described as being part of an erstwhile Showerings orchard, but maybe they were.

3 minutes ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

Thanks for the quote, Futtocks, but I will treat it with a degree of suspicion.  Perry pear trees do not begin to fruit particularly quickly, hence the old saying, "Plant pears for your heirs."  So even significant planting would have struggled to provide enough fruit for the Babycham boom.

My copy of the definitive Pears of Gloucestershire and Perry Pears of the Three Counties by Charles Martell is mostly a descriptive and illustrated list of all the known varieties, but it has a short introduction, which makes no mention of the apparent major tree planting of Showerings; if that had been significant, I would have thought it would be recalled.  Also, i cannot remember any perry pear tree variety examples in the text being described as being part of an erstwhile Showerings orchard, but maybe they were.

It mentions them importing juice from Switzerland to cover the growing time. You'll notice they don't say how long they did that. Or even if they ever stopped importing juice, just that they planted some trees.

On the other hand, another search result says that pear orchards were acquired, not planted, which might make more sense than planting from scratch. Given Babycham's popularity at the time, they could probably afford to buy up a lot of acreage of established trees.

And even the best ingredients can be misused.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived