Disappointed with SKY

8 minutes ago, Damien said:

No other options? People who are comfortable on TV for a start and who can speak clearly and string together a coherent sentence. Plenty of players and ex-players would do a far better job than those we regularly see on Sky, bar Carney and Wells.

The main roles don't even have to all come from the world of Rugby League, Mark Chapman does a fantastic job. The Welsh guy who did the anchor for the 2008 World Cup, whose name escapes me, and who did/does Sky sports news did a great job presenting that tournament, even though he knew little about RL. He was never seen again in RL coverage. Hemmings was a football  commentator as was Welsby before he did RL on ITV.I would prefer a professional media anchor with some decent pundits around them.

RL coverage is downright embarrassing at times compared to other sports and the standard of it certainly cant make the game that attractive to sponsors.

I agree, i was meaning there was no one naturally ready to take over but a hell of a lot literally hounded Eddie and Stevo out, your not telling me Sky went out and purposefully chose Pyke and Proe to lead the commentary, or didn't even have a contingency plan in place for when those 2 left? if so then they clearly have no interest in the game if this is who they decided would be the future of the game on Sky.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, daz39 said:

And folk called for the removal of the great and wonderful (in my opinion) Eddie and Stevo, Sky listened and we have now the unlistenable group of Stuart 'false teeth falling out and gagging on something' Pyke, Ben 'monotone, on this ground' Proe and the calamitous ramblings of Turry 'he's quality' O'Connor' and Phil '70's throwback' Clarke.

I warned folk in the past to be careful what you wished for when wanting rid of the legends.

Those 2 commentators alone are a huge reason i won't be renewing my subscription with Sky.

In the week that  the great Harry Gration retired..........

2 hours ago, silverback said:

And i always miss last 8 minutes of game due to all cobblers before kickoff.if i forget to tape whats on after game am stuffed,always the close call games with great last 10 too,

Not sure how the fella with a gob full of spogs gets a gig in commentry?

you can automatically add as many minutes as you want to everything you record using the options on your sky box remote- i  used to do this when premier sports had the nrl- i just chose 10 mins - it will do it with everything automatically though -slightly filling up the planner till you delete stuff

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

3 hours ago, daz39 said:

And folk called for the removal of the great and wonderful (in my opinion) Eddie and Stevo, Sky listened and we have now the unlistenable group of Stuart 'false teeth falling out and gagging on something' Pyke, Ben 'monotone, on this ground' Proe and the calamitous ramblings of Turry 'he's quality' O'Connor' and Phil '70's throwback' Clarke.

I warned folk in the past to be careful what you wished for when wanting rid of the legends.

Those 2 commentators alone are a huge reason i won't be renewing my subscription with Sky.

The quality of comment was not my point.

The comment was that SKY News chose to ignore a great bit of exciting rugby... and just rabbited on about American soccer and wimmins football.  It will even spend time talking about a bent golf club.

The fact that the woman presenter was as metronomic as an animatronic exhibit from Disneyland does not help.

1 hour ago, graveyard johnny said:

you can automatically add as many minutes as you want to everything you record using the options on your sky box remote- i  used to do this when premier sports had the nrl- i just chose 10 mins - it will do it with everything automatically though -slightly filling up the planner till you delete stuff

I enjoyed the manual recording aspect on sky but Sky Q don’t have it 

8 hours ago, daz39 said:

You're surprised? only shock is they didn't show any televised traffic (formula 1).

Only time i ever watch sky sports now is for the super league, and even then i watch it recorded as their coverage is absolutely appalling, i can just fast forward it after tries and dead balls.

Awful commentators, awful pundits, awful service - can't wait to cancel.

That's the spirit.

Fun sponge would be a more apt username for you

13 hours ago, Hughsehhh said:

That's the spirit.

Fun sponge would be a more apt username for you

For having an opinion on something i pay money for? shall i just continue to hand it over then for something i'm not enjoying?

Just because i'm a RL fan doesn't mean i have to like Sky's coverage of it, hardly makes me any less 'fun' does it?

Maybe your idea of fun is watching a badly produced tv programme then!

6 minutes ago, daz39 said:

For having an opinion on something i pay money for? shall i just continue to hand it over then for something i'm not enjoying?

Just because i'm a RL fan doesn't mean i have to like Sky's coverage of it, hardly makes me any less 'fun' does it?

Maybe your idea of fun is watching a badly produced tv programme then!

If you don’t like it don’t pay, simples 😜

I have said more than once on this board that since SKY SPORTS are now run by COMCAST (Aka NBC Universal) your not only getting a US Agenda in sports, news and programming you have also lost the emotional attachment the aussies around uncle Rupert had to Rugby League.

As for the next TV contract ,this is going to have dire consequences.

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

On 24/10/2020 at 11:37, Rupert Prince said:

I made a point of religiously watching Sky Sport News between 9am and 10am. I was interested to see how they covered French's hat trick and possibly his try of the season.

They didn't.

Wall to wall football.  Premiership, Championship, European, American(!), Women's (inevitably).  Plus a bit of Tiger Woods and Rory McIlroy breaking his club.

We have a way to go yet...

By the same token, how much are Super League's own media channels making of Bevan French's performance? 

At a quick look I see one tweet, with a whopping 250 likes. At the same time, the Super League Twitter feed still puts a post from August in it's prominent position. 

If French had done what he did at the weekend in the NRL, it would be plastered all over the internet - not because Sky would have done it, but because the NRL understand how social media works and they make damn sure that people can't ignore this stuff. 

I made this point on the BBC thread, but both Super League and Wigan Warriors have people on the pay-roll who are responsible for promoting this stuff and making it difficult for people to ignore us. We can't control the editorial process at Sky Sports News, but we can make Super League more newsworthy. 

I've just cancelled SKY again, apart from the odd new series on the box sets, there's nothing worth watching anymore for me,

A lot of TV is now just dumbed down reality rubbish, I used to enjoy the documentary channels, now they're all full of North American reality TV shows, although the SKY Documentary channel has a few decent docu-films on but I've seen most of them.

As for sports, I no longer watch football, and if i do, i very rarely enjoy it or manage a whole game, even when my team are on, I've got little interest in Golf, NFL, F1 or the other sports they show, 10 pin bowling , pool, very rarely watch darts or cricket.

So I'd rather save myself £50 ish even it means forsaking the odd game of RL.

Just an aside, i made a point whilst watching the NRL grand final of trying to do a comparison with commentary.

Basically, Ray Warren was the commentator, the caller, whatever, the other 2 "co-commentators" or whatever they're called, only spoke when Warren brought them in, and then it was only to discuss certain salient points to do with the game or the tactics, it was 3 minutes into the game when someone other than Warren spoke, they didn't force their opinion on anything, they didn't babble on about what they thought they had seen while the VR was checking things.

At times, there was a few seconds of silence while the game played out, and then it was Warren who continued to call the game.

Compare that to SKY, where there are 4, 5, or 6 people all talking over the top of each other offering various opinions about various things, sometimes, not even relevant to the game on the screen, babbling on while the referee is talking to the players, the amount of times one person gets interrupted on the SKY commentary is awful, it's like they're all fighting for airtime and the poor commentator is reduced to a bystander while they all squabble or indulge in banter with each other.

There is constant talking, from the moment the commentary team go live until they hand back, it just becomes constant background noise.

The actual game presentation is 100 times better too, no showing pointless shots of coaches while the game is going on, no missing things happening on the field because of countless replays of something mundane.

Hopefully, but doubtful, someone else puts a big bid in to take RL off SKY and completely shake it up.

46 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Warren is a champion commentator

Sure is . Was great to hear him yesterday . Like Richie Benaud , not overstated , compliments the action rather than dominates it . Outstanding 

On 24/10/2020 at 12:29, daz39 said:

I totally agree- Eddie was very professional -this lot sound as if they haven't any training at all.

3 hours ago, del capo said:

We have a great product but who else is in the wings  to give us 80 million+ ?

We have a great sport - that doesn't necessarily make it a great product. Often, the way RL is packaged and sold, makes it a pretty unappealing product. 

A Thursday night loop fixture from a piddling-wet Belle Vue is not, by any objective measure, a "great product". 

1 hour ago, whatmichaelsays said:

We have a great sport - that doesn't necessarily make it a great product. Often, the way RL is packaged and sold, makes it a pretty unappealing product. 

A Thursday night loop fixture from a piddling-wet Belle Vue is not, by any objective measure, a "great product". 

Well what the chuffing hell is Robert Elstone supposed to be doing?

Do you think, he's happy with Sky's production and the comical, inane commentary and standards of dress?

9 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

Well what the chuffing hell is Robert Elstone supposed to be doing?

Do you think, he's happy with Sky's production and the comical, inane commentary and standards of dress?

What is needed is investment and inevitable consolidation.  After that we might think about expansion.  The current mealy mouth blinkered attitude is the clubs responsibility.  But rugby league clubs are backward looking.

Archived