World Cup Poem

Skids

3 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

I thought much of it was quite generic and I would have preferred it without the phrase "a Northern game".

yep- just alienate most of the uk with that one phrase - its not even poetry - its like an advert for that yorkshire internet plusnet? 

the aussies hold the world cup now

they keep it in a bucket 

and despite our efforts to get it back

no doubt were gonna ,,,,,,.................................

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

It's just not saying Rugby League to me, listen to it without the video and almost all of it could be about anything.

Can't find a link to it, but "One sport stands out" by Ben Taylor is a far better RL poem.

Even this one I randomly found is better: https://mightymamabear.com/rugby-league-poem/

41 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:
6 minutes ago, langpark said:
7 minutes ago, langpark said:

I loved it!

I too was surprised they chose to say "northern game" but I don't think it overshadowed the rest of the video.

I loved it!

I too was surprised they chose to say "northern game" but I don't think it overshadowed the rest of the video.

Whoever allowed this should be fired total disaster of a PR job AWFUL:(

41 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:
7 minutes ago, langpark said:

I loved it!

I thought much of it was quite generic and I would have preferred it without the phrase "a Northern game".

The reality is there are around 150000 rugby league fans who watch matches on a regular basis.

To have a successful World Cup the game needs to engage thousands of potential new fans, using the word NORTHERN just underlines the stereotype opinion that many outside of the rugby league heartlands have about Rugby League.

Sorry that poem was awful and should not have been released its a total turn off for anyone outside of the rugby league community.

The poem certainly didn't alienate me, but neither did it particularly inspire me. As others have said, it's too generic to really mean very much.

I guess it fulfils a purpose and gives people something to watch relating to the world cup, so I don't think it's doing any harm. It just wouldn't bother me if I never saw and heard it again.

Wow some people really are never happy! I thought it was brilliant and gave me goosebumps.

I think it is very much meant to be a piece that works with the footage - as it is really a promo campaign for the ballot opening rather than a traditional poem.

As for use of the word Northern, I’d normally cringe at that but it made it feel honest and real. There is plenty there that mentions how international it all is too. Also there will have been key phrases as part of the commission that he will have been asked to use if possible - Northern being very much one of them due to the Govt Noethern Powerhouse nonsense funding.

And what about the fantastic “This is rugby, more than rugby, this is rugby league” dig at our RU cousins. Lovely stuff!

16 hours ago, Whippet13 said:

It's just not saying Rugby League to me, listen to it without the video and almost all of it could be about anything.

Can't find a link to it, but "One sport stands out" by Ben Taylor is a far better RL poem.

Even this one I randomly found is better: https://mightymamabear.com/rugby-league-poem/

Ben’s best work is when he’s on video ref duty.

- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

Archived