NRLW Grand Final - excellent game

I really enjoyed today's GF, I thought it was an excellent game, particularly given the adverse conditions. Completion rates were high which is a testament to the standard these teams are at. 

If you haven't already watched it, then I recommend you do. 

A few thoughts... 

First, the England team are going to have the devil of a job to win next year's WC. 

Second, the 'rugby sevens' girls have been a huge addition to the teams. 

Third, it would be good to see the competition expanded by a couple of teams as these athletes deserve a longer season. 

All in all, a great 2020 for the women. 

At least two more teams, plus later KO times (for us UK-based fans) should be possible. The Broncos women showing the men how it is done.

Someone will be along shortly to complain about the attention the RU imports get. At very great length.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

The last 20 minutes of the first half when the Roosters got back into the game was definitely high quality, entertaining League, just a few too many mistakes by the Roosters in the second half to really make it a really top quality encounter.

Insult to the Women this four team, three round comp, however I understand the NRL want to get it right and not end up like the afl, trying to please everyone, with way too many teams, not enough talent and a really low quality spectacle.

All the signs are there though that the womens comp has the talent to certainly grow to 6, for starters, and have home and away. No question it has been a game changer for League, who would have thought we would see women running out for their GF the same day as the mens. Such a positive for the image of the game.

8 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

At least two more teams, plus later KO times (for us UK-based fans) should be possible. The Broncos women showing the men how it is done.

Someone will be along shortly to complain about the attention the RU imports get. At very great length.

Good morning.

Across the 7 games this third season of NRLW has been the best so far. It`s women`s SOO on November 13th, which should keep the momentum rolling.

Have mentioned before that just keeping the 4 team comp going was an achievement for this year. Medium-term I think a 6 team comp providing 3 games a week for 5 rounds is probably a better option than a 4 team comp with 6 rounds. That would mean more variety in the teams, wider geographical footprint, and 132 playing contracts.

At the moment there`s a special "finals" feel to NRLW, with it played concurrently with the NRL finals. If the comp stretched too far back into the year it could appear more quotidian and lose interest. As my very good friend the Rocket says, there`s a perception the AFLW has overreached itself, and women`s USA Soccer leagues have in the past done the same and collapsed.

Better for NSW and QLD to continue building up their State comps for the bulk of the women`s season.

28 minutes ago, Number 16 said:

Will the 'rugby' girls be there next year, what with the Olympics taking place. 

Personally I don`t care, but for those who do, the bigger question is the shakedown after the Olympics. The current Aus women`s RL/RU scene is determined by the decisions and dynamics of years ago. I would hope that from 2022 it will be made clear to players aspiring to NRLW contracts that they must be playing regular RL.

4 hours ago, Number 16 said:

Third, it would be good to see the competition expanded by a couple of teams as these athletes deserve a longer season. 

51 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

At least two more teams, plus later KO times (for us UK-based fans) should be possible.

The kick off times for Northern Hemisphere viewers must be a priority. Futtocks you kidder.

The conundrum that the NRL face with the Womens comp is that it does not bring enough money in to cover the cost and is unlikely to add much to TV revenue, maybe a bit more through sponsorship. But certainly it will run at a loss and the loss will only be magnified the greater the number of teams. A large proportion of that loss will be worn by the clubs that furnish teams.

The NRL therefore have a dilemma, does the public relations benefit of the womens comp outweigh the financial losses incurred in running that competition. Tricky one, especially when you consider ultimately the money is coming out of the male players pockets. An even worse case scenario is where teams will be forced to enter teams, if we go to full womens and mens competitions, however refuse to spend money on them, if they are seen as a financial drain on the club, competing for something that is not particularly highly valued.

The afl have gone all out and clubs are now tied up with both netball and womens teams, once again trying to please everyone. I heard that they are actually paying for the tv production costs of the afl womens comp, just to get it on TV. The point is once you start these things it is very hard to back out of them, it would be PR disaster, and not only amongst female followers of your code. The League must tread carefully.

7 hours ago, Number 16 said:

I really enjoyed today's GF, I thought it was an excellent game, particularly given the adverse conditions. Completion rates were high which is a testament to the standard these teams are at. 

If you haven't already watched it, then I recommend you do. 

A few thoughts... 

First, the England team are going to have the devil of a job to win next year's WC. 

Second, the 'rugby sevens' girls have been a huge addition to the teams. 

All in all, a great 2020 for the women. 

It was a great game. The Roosters needed to back themselves more - they were right in the game.

The interesting thing watching the women's NRL is that it has its own unique style because you cannot simply stack the forwards with giants. That means that smaller agile forwards emerge and speed is a game breaker. 

I hope next year they move to 6 or 8 teams and stretch the competition out for longer.

6 hours ago, Futtocks said:

The question that Number 16 was asking about whether the "Rugby" girls will be in NRLW next year is one that will hover over women`s RL through the following 12 months. With the implication that without them the comp won`t be as good. Which illustrates the fool`s gold that signing RU players always is. 

The fixation with the 7s players was guaranteed to aggravate the already shallow media treatment of RL on the field. A celebrated moment from last week was the Ellia Green big hit on Jess Sergis. But she failed to stick on, Sergis won the floor and bounced back up to play the ball quickly with no markers. So not much of a win for the defence. But the commentary team were not primed to notice that.

Someone will be along shortly to complain about dyspepsia. At not nearly enough length.

12 minutes ago, unapologetic pedant said:

The question that Number 16 was asking about whether the "Rugby" girls will be in NRLW next year is one that will hover over women`s RL through the following 12 months. With the implication that without them the comp won`t be as good. Which illustrates the fool`s gold that signing RU players always is. 

The fixation with the 7s players was guaranteed to aggravate the already shallow media treatment of RL on the field. A celebrated moment from last week was the Ellia Green big hit on Jess Sergis. But she failed to stick on, Sergis won the floor and bounced back up to play the ball quickly with no markers. So not much of a win for the defence. But the commentary team were not primed to notice that.

Someone will be along shortly to complain about dyspepsia. At not nearly enough length.

That's the spirit! For some people even the M62 is too long a strip of tarmac. 

As far as celebrated tackling goes, Hannah Southwell seem to have been getting the attention on social media. Outside that, Ali Brigginshaw and Tamika Upton have edged Hannah out for player of the year awards. All RL products.

Some RU switchers will of course go straight back if the Tokyo games happens at the new date, and some won't. But after Tokyo, what will be more tempting, the cash-strapped Rugby Australia or a challenging, more high-profile and increasingly-popular NRLW?

And as for "the fool`s gold that signing RU players always is", I think we've seen the likes of the cream of Welsh talent grace our game for enough decades to know that Billy Boston, Jim Sullivan, Allan Bateman, Trevor Foster, Jonathan Davies, Clive Sullivan etc. were a much higher carat than iron pyrites.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Really enjoyed all the NRLW games this year and they were all very competitive with some real strength in depth across the women's game over there.

Ultimately, the Broncos just had too much class, in particular in their spine with Upton, Brigginshaw and Aiken and too much fire power in the pack with Boyle, Lenarduzzi and Hall.

Looking forward to the next iteration in 2021 and then of course the Women's World Cup when our women can test themselves against the best in the worls.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

11 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Good morning.

Across the 7 games this third season of NRLW has been the best so far. It`s women`s SOO on November 13th, which should keep the momentum rolling.

Have mentioned before that just keeping the 4 team comp going was an achievement for this year. Medium-term I think a 6 team comp providing 3 games a week for 5 rounds is probably a better option than a 4 team comp with 6 rounds. That would mean more variety in the teams, wider geographical footprint, and 132 playing contracts.

At the moment there`s a special "finals" feel to NRLW, with it played concurrently with the NRL finals. If the comp stretched too far back into the year it could appear more quotidian and lose interest. As my very good friend the Rocket says, there`s a perception the AFLW has overreached itself, and women`s USA Soccer leagues have in the past done the same and collapsed.

Better for NSW and QLD to continue building up their State comps for the bulk of the women`s season.

One thing that must have delighted you in this GF was the women following the rules regarding PTB. Without exception after a tackle they rose to their feet,placed the ball on the ground and played it back with the foot. No rolling it through their legs without making an attempt to play it with the foot or waving the foot over the ball to look as though they were making an attempt, as they did consistently in the following men's GF.

6 hours ago, Futtocks said:

As far as celebrated tackling goes, Hannah Southwell seem to have been getting the attention on social media. Outside that, Ali Brigginshaw and Tamika Upton have edged Hannah out for player of the year awards. All RL products.

Some RU switchers will of course go straight back if the Tokyo games happens at the new date, and some won't. But after Tokyo, what will be more tempting, the cash-strapped Rugby Australia or a challenging, more high-profile and increasingly-popular NRLW?

And as for "the fool`s gold that signing RU players always is", I think we've seen the likes of the cream of Welsh talent grace our game for enough decades to know that Billy Boston, Jim Sullivan, Allan Bateman, Trevor Foster, Jonathan Davies, Clive Sullivan etc. were a much higher carat than iron pyrites.

Roy Francis should also be included before etc.

11 hours ago, George Watt said:

One thing that must have delighted you in this GF was the women following the rules regarding PTB. Without exception after a tackle they rose to their feet,placed the ball on the ground and played it back with the foot. No rolling it through their legs without making an attempt to play it with the foot or waving the foot over the ball to look as though they were making an attempt, as they did consistently in the following men's GF.

Absolute joy to watch.

16 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Every critique I`ve posted on the theme of RL clubs signing RU players has nothing to do with the quality of the players. So a list of successful converts is irrelevant.

The "fool`s gold" is thinking that the short-term media attention they attract will deliver long-term benefits. Can you adduce any substantive advantage we`re currently enjoying in the UK from the scores of Welsh RU players who accepted RL contracts? No point in repeating the arguments, but I could give a myriad of enduring downsides (at dispiritingly great length).

If I were offering advice to the ARU, it would be to ensure that the various public sports bodies remain committed to their 7s programmes. And to combine with their fellow Unions to keep 7s as an Olympic sport. Just as in the men`s game they shouldn`t worry too much about their immediate losses, and instead focus on keeping League out of the Union-playing schools. All this is far more availing long-term than the ephemeral effects of individual players. 

On 25/10/2020 at 18:40, Dunbar said:

Looking forward to the next iteration in 2021 and then of course the Women's World Cup when our women can test themselves against the best in the worls.

Posted this in the women`s and girls` section, but it bears repeating.

World Cup 2017 - Australia 38 England 0, New Zealand 52 England 4.

World Nines 2019 - Australia 42 England 4, New Zealand 33 England 4.

The 2013 WC equivalent games were a lot closer, and further back our women sometimes beat the Jillaroos, as regularly did the Kiwi Ferns who were the dominant team in the first decade and a half of Women`s RL tests. Result of the 2008 WC final was Australia 0 New Zealand 34.

The period leading up to the 2013 WC was when Australia started to take the women`s game seriously, and the effects since are manifest.

Just now, unapologetic pedant said:

Posted this in the women`s and girls` section, but it bears repeating.

World Cup 2017 - Australia 38 England 0, New Zealand 52 England 4.

World Nines 2019 - Australia 42 England 4, New Zealand 33 England 4.

The 2013 WC equivalent games were a lot closer, and further back our women sometimes beat the Jillaroos, as regularly did the Kiwi Ferns who were the dominant team in the first decade and a half of Women`s RL tests. Result of the 2008 WC final was Australia 0 New Zealand 34.

The period leading up to the 2013 WC was when Australia started to take the women`s game seriously, and the effects since are manifest.

I'm not sure what you are trying to tell me.  Are you saying I shouldn't be looking forward to the Women's World Cup because some of the other teams are good?

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Archived