Championship/League 1 Funding

I don,t know what the latest is on a start date for the second and third tiers,but I was interested to see that in soccer the National League teams were getting payments of £85,000.00 per month from the lottery.

I realise there was initial money from the government,but this was in the form of loans.

National League teams would be on a par with many Championship teams,so if money is available this could be the lifeline we need to get the game going early next year.

I understand that there have been further discussions with Government along these lines but all that has been proposed is a further loan, as yet unquantified. If this is correct then it would be very disappointing indeed.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

3 hours ago, bamfordsbeans said:

I don,t know what the latest is on a start date for the second and third tiers,but I was interested to see that in soccer the National League teams were getting payments of £85,000.00 per month from the lottery.

I realise there was initial money from the government,but this was in the form of loans.

National League teams would be on a par with many Championship teams,so if money is available this could be the lifeline we need to get the game going early next year.

The lottery is providing £10m - not equally distributed, only 3 months of payments, and already upsetting some clubs ( https://www.kentonline.co.uk/maidstone/sport/extraordinary-misuse-of-lottery-money-236019/ ). Also it's probably worth noting that those clubs are actually playing.

Culture Secretary Oliver Dowden has today announced that National League football clubs will receive £10 million funding as part of a unique partnership with The National Lottery.

The support will benefit the 66 clubs in the fifth and six tiers of English football, so that they can continue to play behind closed doors after the return of fans was paused due to rising infection rates.

Alongside the support for clubs, National Lottery players will also get a range of benefits – including free tickets once stadia are safe to reopen, grassroots football opportunities, and VIP experiences at Wembley Stadium.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/10-million-lifeline-from-the-national-lottery-for-national-league-football-announced-by-culture-secretary

On 25/10/2020 at 16:53, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

The lottery is providing £10m - not equally distributed, only 3 months of payments, and already upsetting some clubs ( https://www.kentonline.co.uk/maidstone/sport/extraordinary-misuse-of-lottery-money-236019/ ). Also it's probably worth noting that those clubs are actually playing.

Culture Secretary Oliver Dowden has today announced that National League football clubs will receive £10 million funding as part of a unique partnership with The National Lottery.

The support will benefit the 66 clubs in the fifth and six tiers of English football, so that they can continue to play behind closed doors after the return of fans was paused due to rising infection rates.

Alongside the support for clubs, National Lottery players will also get a range of benefits – including free tickets once stadia are safe to reopen, grassroots football opportunities, and VIP experiences at Wembley Stadium.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/10-million-lifeline-from-the-national-lottery-for-national-league-football-announced-by-culture-secretary

Will Mr Rimmer still be celebrating the loan he obtained for RL when grants like this are going to other sports?

Archived