State of Origin squads announced

NEW SOUTH WALES
Josh Addo-Carr (Melbourne Storm)
Nathan Brown (Parramatta Eels)
Reagan Campbell-Gillard (Parramatta Eels)
Nathan Cleary (Penrith Panthers)
Damien Cook (South Sydney Rabbitohs)
Boyd Cordner (Sydney Roosters)
Nick Cotric (Canberra Raiders)
Angus Crichton (Sydney Roosters)
Stephen Crichton (Penrith Panthers)
Dale Finucane (Melbourne Storm)
Tyson Frizell (St George Illawarra Dragons)
Clint Gutherson (Parramatta Eels)
Payne Haas (Brisbane Broncos)
Luke Keary (Sydney Roosters)
Zac Lomax (St George Illawarra Dragons)
Jarome Luai (Penrith Panthers)
Cameron McInnes (St George Illawarra Dragons)
Cameron Murray (South Sydney Rabbitohs)
Ryan Papenhuyzen (Melbourne Storm)
Junior Paulo (Parramatta Eels)
Daniel Saifiti (Newcastle Knights)
James Tedesco (Sydney Roosters)
Jake Trbojevic (Manly Warringah Sea Eagles)
Daniel Tupou (Sydney Roosters)
Cody Walker (South Sydney Rabbitohs)
Jack Wighton (Canberra Raiders)
Isaah Yeo (Penrith Panthers)

QUEENSLAND
Corey Allan (South Sydney Rabbitohs)
Jai Arrow (Gold Coast Titans)
AJ Brimson (Gold Coast Titans)
Kurt Capewell (Penrith Panthers)
Patrick Carrigan (Brisbane Broncos)
Daly Cherry-Evans (Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles)
Xavier Coates (Brisbane Broncos)
Lindsay Collins (Sydney Roosters)
Tino Fa’asuamaleaui (Melbourne Storm)
Moeaki Fotuaika (Gold Coast Titans)
Jake Friend (Sydney Roosters)
Dane Gagai (South Sydney Rabbitohs)
Harry Grant (Wests Tigers/Melbourne Storm)
Coen Hess (North Queensland Cowboys)
Valentine Holmes (North Queensland Cowboys)
Hymel Hunt (Newcastle Knights)
Ben Hunt (St George Illawarra Dragons)
Felise Kaufusi (Melbourne Storm)
Josh Kerr (St George Illawarra Dragons)
Brenko Lee (Melbourne Storm)
Edrick Lee (Newcastle Knights)
Dunamis Lui (Canberra Raiders)
Cameron Munster (Melbourne Storm)
Josh Papalii (Canberra Raiders)
Phillip Sami (Gold Coast Titans)
Jaydn Su’A (South Sydney Rabbitohs)
Christian Welch (Melbourne Storm)

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

the fact queensland are having to select rubbish like ben hunt and edrick lee must set alarm bells ringing- the nsw squad looks 10x stronger

Queensland should get whacked in this. Many of those players are not at that level. Brenko Lee would struggle to look good at Featherstone.

17 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Queensland should get whacked in this. Many of those players are not at that level. Brenko Lee would struggle to look good at Featherstone.

you mean edrick lee?

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

The balance of power certainly seems to have tipped over the Blues... overall their squad is miles ahead.

But, as with international League, you can only pick 17 and Queensland will put up a show. I expect NSW to win the series though.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Anyone know what the current attendance rules are for Adelaide?

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I don't mind the Queensland foward pack. It actually looks pretty exciting with a good mix of youth and experience. Backs on the other hand are questionable (in comparison to NSW).

Something like the below will still be very solid:

8. Papali

9. Grant

10. Welch

11. Kaufusi

12. Su'A (shame their missing Fafita here)

13. Arrow

Subs: Fotuaiki, Collins, Fa'asuamaleaui, Brimson

It's a very weak Queensland squad that reflects their club's poor showings at present, with only the Titan's on a upwards curve, from the bottom, in the league.  I wonder who they will drag out of retirement to augment it this time around? Maybe they have already tried that and received the brush off.

Blues stronger on paper , but the Maroons have won quite a few series looking inferior on paper and often play above their parts . Queensland will put out a competitive 17 with a strong pack leading the way , although whether they’ve enough behind that is another matter . Having said that it would be a big upset if the Blues don’t win this series and have it wrapped up before they get to Suncorp

1 hour ago, Scubby said:

Him and Hymel Hunt stood out like sore thumbs in that squad. Guys who struggle to hold down a first grade place who are suddenly in Origin squads. 

I bet Tedesco and co are carping themselves coming up against them and the likes of Kurt Capewell

18 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Him and Hymel Hunt stood out like sore thumbs in that squad. Guys who struggle to hold down a first grade place who are suddenly in Origin squads. 

I bet Tedesco and co are carping themselves coming up against them and the likes of Kurt Capewell

Queensland didn't even need wingers or stand offs a few years ago, just loaded the team with full backs, centres and scrum halves they were that good e.g. Slater, Boyd, Hodges, Inglis, Tate, Thurston, Cronk .... that was without mentioning Smith.

I'm not entirely sure who they are going to put in the backline but it doesn't look great. Cherry Evans has also been rubbish this season.

11 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Queensland didn't even need wingers or stand offs a few years ago, just loaded the team with full backs, centres and scrum halves they were that good e.g. Slater, Boyd, Hodges, Inglis, Tate, Thurston, Cronk .... that was without mentioning Smith.

I'm not entirely sure who they are going to put in the backline but it doesn't look great. Cherry Evans has also been rubbish this season.

At a guess, I reckon they’d go with this: 

1. Brimson

2. Coates

3. Brenko Lee

4. Gagai

5. Holmes

6. Munster 

7. DCE

3 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

1. Brimson

2. Coates

3. Brenko Lee

4. Gagai

5. Holmes

6. Munster 

7. DCE

You would image NSW would go with.

1. Tedesco (with Papenhuyzen and Gutherson as backup)

2. Addo-Carr 

3. Crichton or Lomax

4. Wighton 

5. Cotric (with Tupou as backup)

6. Keary or Walker (with Luai as backup)

7. Cleary 

The difference in quality is massive. Almost all those player - including backups - would get into the Queensland team.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

26 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

1. Brimson

2. Coates

3. Brenko Lee

4. Gagai

5. Holmes

6. Munster 

7. DCE

Looking at those wing/centre combos, Gagai's not in great form, but him and Holmes have Origin experience to draw on. Coates and Lee is where I'd attack, if I was in charge of the Blues. Looks potentially brittle.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 hours ago, Scubby said:

He shouldn’t do a lottery ticket , he’s already won the jackpot . Brenko Lee is an average NRL outside back , now he’s a premiership winner with the Storm .  It just goes to show you can carry an average player in a great unit .  If he’s in the maroons backline he’ll be spotted and mangled . I’ve always thought Gagai is overhyped as well . The Blues should have way to much firepower , hopefully 

2 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Looking at those wing/centre combos, Gagai's not in great form, but him and Holmes have Origin experience to draw on. Coates and Lee is where I'd attack, if I was in charge of the Blues. Looks potentially brittle.

2 hours ago, DavidM said:

He shouldn’t do a lottery ticket , he’s already won the jackpot . Brenko Lee is an average NRL outside back , now he’s a premiership winner with the Storm .  It just goes to show you can carry an average player in a great unit .  If he’s in the maroons backline he’ll be spotted and mangled . I’ve always thought Gagai is overhyped as well . The Blues should have way to much firepower , hopefully 

Coates is still a rookie, and whilst promising, i'm sure he'd be targeted. So they may actually go with Sami instead.

I've always thought Gagai is overrated too, but he does seem to save his best for Origin

Coates was awful at times for the Broncos - hopelessly out of position in defence numerous times and doing nothing in attack for the most part. He'll get slaughtered at Origin. Hopefully he's just in for experience.

Queensland just don't have many star players at the moment.  Even when they were at their peak they won because the core of the side were some of the all time greats - Slater, Thurston, Cronk and Smith as a settled and top class spine would make them competitive with anyone.  Add in players like Inglis and you can see why they were so dominant.

Even in that era they had a bunch of players who were clearly inferior to NSW.   Its just standing out even more now because the stars have gone.  I reckon a full strength GB would get smashed by NSW but could beat any 17 Queensland could currently pick. This could be a very one-sided series.

Archived