State of Origin squads announced

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, silverback said:

Would a player like brandon smith or morris brothers opt out,or simply not picked to be missing on the list?

Brandon is a Kiwi and the Morris brothers retired from rep football/indicated they wouldn't come out of retirement late in the season.

as poor as the queensland squad seems to be - they will be no pushovers- the min they pull on a maroons jersey and enter the origin arena stories will write themselves

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

45 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

When’s game 1?

Wednesday the 4th of November. Origin 2 & 3 are on the following Wednesdays.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 26/10/2020 at 01:16, Scubby said:

Heard they were looking to get 30,000+ into the stadium which hold around 55k

Early in September it was announced the crowd would be 25,000 but things might have changed - and I live in Adelaide!!

Problem was that over 48,000 tickets had been sold pre Covid.  So at the end of September everyone who had purchased tickets got an email - we have bought 4 tickets - saying that anyone who cannot/does not want to attend can have a full refund, hoping that all interstate travellers would want a refund to try to get the ‘local’ crowd down to 25,000.

However, today a friend got an email to say his ticket had been cancelled.  So it is still over subscribed. We are expecting an email tomorrow hopefully saying our tickets will be honoured.  But after looking at the Queensland squad - I have followed them since I first got Micron videos of the games in the late 80’s - missing out might not be a bad thing!  Only joking can’t wait to see NSW get beat.

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

But obviously much better than one of SL's higest paid Ricky Lutele in the eye's of the coach.

Better than a Ricky Leutele that hasn't played for several months,who hasn't been in the Storms system until recently and who hasn't formed a partnership with an outstanding winger,erm yes Lee was the better option,a better player,probably not.

1 hour ago, graveyard johnny said:

as poor as the queensland squad seems to be - they will be no pushovers- the min they pull on a maroons jersey and enter the origin arena stories will write themselves

Yep, with Bennett in charge. At least they won't be able to lose to PNG

So many people on here have underestimated the quality of the Queensland team.

i agree that the NSW team is stronger. It has the supreme talents of James Tedesco, Luke Keary,  Boyd Cordner, Jack Wighton, Angus Crichton, Stephen Chrichton, Nathan Cleary, and Josh Yo Yo Ma Addo-Carr.  The Flying Dutchman  Ryan Papenhuyzen is a super sub on the bench.

However Queensland has a number of outstanding players. It has a superior set of props in the Canberra pair of Josh Papalii and Dunamis Lui,  Melbourne’s Christian Welch, and the Roosters Lindsey Collins. Papalii is the world’s best prop. The second row of  Felise Kafusi and Jayden Su’ A are very good. The hookers Jake Friend and Harry Grant are excellent. And there are also the forward options of Big Tino and the Titans Mo Fotoaiki.. Queensland has a very good pair of halves in Daly Cherry Evans and the champion Cameron Munster. It has several  excellent centres in Dane Gagai, Phillip Sami, and Hymel Hunt. and a rising star at full back in A.J. Brimson. The wing choices of flying giant Erick Lee, Valentine Holmes, and speedster Xavier Coates is hardly unimpressive, as some less informed people on  here have suggested.

This game is not going to be a massacre. Don’t kid yourself.

3 minutes ago, Manfred Mann said:

i agree that the NSW team is stronger. It has the supreme talents of James Tedesco, Luke Keary,  Boyd Cordner, Jack Wighton, Angus Crichton, Stephen Chrichton, and Josh Yo Yo Ma Addo-Carr.  The Flying Dutchman  Ryan Papenhuyzen is a super sub on the bench.

However Queensland has a number of outstanding players. It has a superior set of props in the Canberra pair of Josh Papalii and Dunamis Lui,  Melbourne’s Christian Welch, and the Roosters Lindsey Collins. Papalii is the world’s best prop. Queensland has a very good pair of halves in Daly Cherry Evans and the excellent Cameron Munster. It has one excellent centre in Dane Gagai, and a rising star at full back in A.J. Brimson. The wing choices of flying giant Erick Lee, and speedster Xavier Coates is hardly unimpressive, as some less informed people on  here have suggested.

This game is not going to be a massacre. 

Josh Papalii may be the best prop in the world at the moment (although subjective) but I am sure Wayne Bennett would swap his four props for Reagan Campbell-Gillard, Payne Haas, Junior Paulo & Daniel Saifiti in heartbeat.

A.J. Brimson may be up and coming but he is behind all three of the NSW candidates.  As for the centres and wings, it isn't even close.

I will grant you that Munster and Papalii would get into the NSW squad (and Papalii the starting team) but none of the others mentioned would get a run.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

There's a big question mark over Munster's fitness as well...........he was patched up to make it through the finals. Perhaps the 10 day break will sort him out but it didn't look like a niggle he got. He may well play, but he hasn't looked as effective in recent weeks with his injury hampering him

22 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Josh Papalii may be the best prop in the world at the moment (although subjective) but I am sure Wayne Bennett would swap his four props for Reagan Campbell-Gillard, Payne Haas, Junior Paulo & Daniel Saifiti in heartbeat.

A.J. Brimson may be up and coming but he is behind all three of the NSW candidates.  As for the centres and wings, it isn't even close.

I will grant you that Munster and Papalii would get into the NSW squad (and Papalii the starting team) but none of the others mentioned would get a run.

I strongly disagree about the relative quality of the props. Wayne Bennett would not swap his group in a heartbeat. The Queensland options are clearly superior. 

Munster is probably now equal third best five eighth (after Luke  Keary, Jack Eighton, and equal to Cody Walker)., He is right up there. DCE is a very talented and experienced half, the second best in the NRL in 2020. 

Queensland miss the injured Kalin Ponga, but the formerly injured A. J. Brimson was outstanding in the second half of the NRL season.

So with superior props, excellent second rowers, and a very good spine, I expect Queensland to be competitive.

31 minutes ago, Manfred Mann said:

i agree that the NSW team is stronger. It has the supreme talents of James Tedesco, Luke Keary,  Boyd Cordner, Jack Wighton, Angus Crichton, Stephen Chrichton, Nathan Cleary, and Josh Yo Yo Ma Addo-Carr.  The Flying Dutchman  Ryan Papenhuyzen is a super sub on the bench.

However Queensland has a number of outstanding players. It has a superior set of props in the Canberra pair of Josh Papalii and Dunamis Lui,  Melbourne’s Christian Welch, and the Roosters Lindsey Collins. Papalii is the world’s best prop. The second row of  Felise Kafusi and Jayden Su’ A are very good. The hookers Jake Friend and Harry Grant are excellent. And there are also the forward options of Big Tino and the Titans Mo Fotoaiki.. Queensland has a very good pair of halves in Daly Cherry Evans and the champion Cameron Munster. It has several  excellent centres in Dane Gagai, Phillip Sami, and Hymel Hunt. and a rising star at full back in A.J. Brimson. The wing choices of flying giant Erick Lee, Valentine Holmes, and speedster Xavier Coates is hardly unimpressive, as some less informed people on  here have suggested.

The Queensland outside backs are pretty average,Gagai is although a good winger has never really cut it at centre,same for Hymel Hunt,

Lee is very inconsistent and Holmes is half the player who left for the NFL.

Sami & Coates are potentially very good players but unproven at this level as is Brimson who does look a real talent but has a long way to go to match any of the Blues options at fullback.

1 hour ago, Manfred Mann said:

Wayne Bennett would not swap his group in a heartbeat. The Queensland options are clearly superior. 

Do you really believe that Dunamis Lui, Christian Welch, and Lindsey Collins are clearly superior to Reagan Campbell-Gillard, Payne Haas, Junior Paulo and Daniel Saifiti?

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

2 hours ago, Manfred Mann said:

Manfred , 2 things . Firstly you mentioned underestimation ... well I think you overestimate the quality of the Queensland backs at this level . Secondly , please don’t say people who have contrary opinions are less informed . It just looks superior and patronising . You often seem to think there’s Manfred’s view  ... and then there’s wrong 

Archived