Oh no...not another structure change thread!

https://www.totalrl.com/super-league-consider-radical-season-change/

An interesting proposal. I thought it was a mad idea at first, but thinking about it more, maybe it makes sense. A less congested schedule, more meaningful games. But anything more than 6 teams in the play offs is too many.

This year is about getting through rather than integrity anyway...

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Chris22 said:

https://www.totalrl.com/super-league-consider-radical-season-change/

An interesting proposal. I thought it was a mad idea at first, but thinking about it more, maybe it makes sense. A less congested schedule, more meaningful games. But anything more than 6 teams in the play offs is too many.

This year is about getting through rather than integrity anyway...

It is a mad idea, 8 teams have played at least 15 games already, two more will get to 15 tomorrow night. Adding more teams to the playoffs because 1 team possibly may not get to the 15 game threshold would be a total over reaction. The only change that would make sense would be to end the season now for the bottom three as they can't make the top 4 and to re-jig the fixtures for the last three weeks to fit in some of those cancelled Catalans games and then run with the top 4 playoffs as planned.

Some games will be dead rubbers, which clubs don’t want but when we have more games that do actually matter, they then moan that there’s too greater a risk of relegation or that we’re rewarding mediocrity. Ah, Rugby League, you never change, do you? 

The season is an absolute waste if you’re admitting 73% of your teams into a system to decide an overall winner. We may as well have just had two versions of the Challenge Cup, one for the cup and one for the league rather than waste months playing games on the proviso that the top four was the holy grail. 

We have eight teams that have hit the fifteen game mark. Unsurprisingly, two of three that haven’t are the Challenge Cup finalists and the other one is a team from across the Channel, who have sacrificed a lot this term. We’ve done well to get as many over the line as we have given injuries and Covid, so I think we go with what we have and leave this idea as chip paper. 

I’m sure Sky would rather show more meaningful games featuring as many of the more competitive teams this year as possible rather than dead rubbers.

I’m not really bothered myself how many teams qualify for the playoffs as long as those playoff games are competitive and exciting to watch.

Providing there is a competitive advantage to qualifying as a higher seed then I see no issue.

" OMG , we can't have read rubbers " , better keep relegation then 🤔

More like Leeds realising they aren't going to make the cut due to the stupidity of agreeing to play too many games in too short a time , madness

1 minute ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I’m sure Sky would rather show more meaningful games featuring as many of the more competitive teams this year as possible rather than dead rubbers.

I’m not really bothered myself how many teams qualify for the playoffs as long as those playoff games are competitive and exciting to watch.

Providing there is a competitive advantage to qualifying as a higher seed then I see no issue.

Initially I was against but I think you have made a good point here and changed my mind.

We have had a lot of non competitive games recently and I think it is important to keep Sky onside as they are vital for the game.

Also I would like to see Wakefield, Huddersfield and Castleford have a final competitive opportunity this year. 

It would be an exciting climax if all teams were involved. As you say, the top 4 would still have an advantage. 

2 minutes ago, Niels said:

Initially I was against but I think you have made a good point here and changed my mind.

We have had a lot of non competitive games recently and I think it is important to keep Sky onside as they are vital for the game.

Also I would like to see Wakefield, Huddersfield and Castleford have a final competitive opportunity this year. 

It would be an exciting climax if all teams were involved. As you say, the top 4 would still have an advantage. 

Let's just have an 11 team play offs 

changing the system with a few games to go, is a joke. why have a plan then change ut because of dead rubbers? its always likely to happen. its likely by tomorrow that 10 of the 11 will have reached the 15 game mark. only change to make sense is to rearrange fixtures so that all the top 6 have played each other twice, other than that leave the play offs as top 4

10 minutes ago, Niels said:

I guarantee you’d lose more interest in the convoluted crapathon of the Garry Hetherington inspired play-offs than you’d gain.

Stuff like this happens and people still look externally as reasons crowds and the games profile are declining.

Archived