Oh no...not another structure change thread!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Exactly. So the competition matters little. Making the bizarre belief Sky care that much even stranger. 

sky have no loyalty, just need subscribers, if football fell out of favour & a minor sport pulled in punters, they would take it. 

Just now, Hela Wigmen said:

Given the reaction I’ve seen online regarding this proposal, yes. 

Are you personally going to boycott the playoffs then?

You’ll always get a jaundiced reaction from some when it comes to change.

Even when it comes to changing a league campaign that’s already been changed a lot during a global pandemic.

8 minutes ago, Liverpool Rover said:

With hindsight I think that after the restart teams should have played another 10 or so games to leave enough time for keeping the top 5 system.

They should have scrapped all the games already played , and ran a 9 round 10 team comp 

Have to say I’ve enjoyed having so much Super League on TV - two more matches on tonight, for example - but it does seem a bit mad for SL to flog itself during challenging circumstances in the North.

Going top 4 instead of top 5 always seemed a mistake to me and I would have no issue if it reverted back. Even an 8-team NRL style playoff system could work for this season only.

7 hours ago, kev p said:

changing the system with a few games to go, is a joke. why have a plan then change ut because of dead rubbers? its always likely to happen. its likely by tomorrow that 10 of the 11 will have reached the 15 game mark. only change to make sense is to rearrange fixtures so that all the top 6 have played each other twice, other than that leave the play offs as top 4

Leeds would benefit from an extended play off, as there’s a reasonable chance we will miss out on the top 4, but I’ve got to agree with this, changing the league structure with only a few games remaining is ridiculous 

It seems to be a uniquely rugby league thing to deride end of season (even end of series) games as dead rubbers. I follow far too many other sports and I never come across this attitude anywhere else.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

9 hours ago, kev p said:

changing the system with a few games to go, is a joke. why have a plan then change ut because of dead rubbers? its always likely to happen. its likely by tomorrow that 10 of the 11 will have reached the 15 game mark. only change to make sense is to rearrange fixtures so that all the top 6 have played each other twice, other than that leave the play offs as top 4

This is the RFL, its standard for them to change things with weeks to go, they did it to us (Workington) a few seasons ago the feckless cretins.

2 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Have to say I’ve enjoyed having so much Super League on TV - two more matches on tonight, for example - but it does seem a bit mad for SL to flog itself during challenging circumstances in the North.

Going top 4 instead of top 5 always seemed a mistake to me and I would have no issue if it reverted back. Even an 8-team NRL style playoff system could work for this season only.

Yes. But to do that they had to cut back the number of regular fixtures in order to make space.  As it is they naively thought that clubs would escape various virus restrictions.  There was a chance to make changes once things started to unravel, but everyone, including many on this board, put their heads in the sand. 

But an even greater disaster looms.  If SL continue to start next season as normal, and play 29 rounds... and ignore the necessity to have a good pre season, then we will be shattered by the time the world cup arrives.  Heaven forbid they delay next season and still run with 29 rounds.

10 hours ago, Chris22 said:

https://www.totalrl.com/super-league-consider-radical-season-change/

An interesting proposal. I thought it was a mad idea at first, but thinking about it more, maybe it makes sense. A less congested schedule, more meaningful games. But anything more than 6 teams in the play offs is too many.

This year is about getting through rather than integrity anyway...

Currently, during this pandemic, whatever is in the best interests of club "owners" and  Sky is in the best interests of the game in my view.

Yes, a worthy plan and one for a full and frank discussion. However, whatever plan SL devises , whatever plan RFL devise to try to stave off bankruptcy of the entire professional support will be rubbished by the naysayers.

Fortunately, they are few and far between in the sport if not on the forum. 

8 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Currently, during this pandemic, whatever is in the best interests of club "owners" and  Sky is in the best interests of the game in my view.

Yes, a worthy plan and one for a full and frank discussion. However, whatever plan SL devises , whatever plan RFL devise to try to stave off bankruptcy of the entire professional support will be rubbished by the naysayers.

Fortunately, they are few and far between in the sport if not on the forum. 

Aye, imagine being disgruntled that a team with a possible 81% win percentage this season is in a play-off series with a team with a 37% win percentage this season. 

I know the game is skint, but would it be that difficult to bubble Catalans for 2 weeks to allow them to play 3 fixtures? Then we have all clubs on 15 and 15+ and we get SF play-offs Nov 20 and GF on 27?

The SF play-offs and GF done in a similar bubble with all 4 teams (maybe all done in Hull). Two defeated teams can leave after first week.

To change the structure with 2 weeks remaining is utterly ludicrous, another fine example of the total incompetence at Rd Hall. When they move to Manchester can they leave the dead wood like Rimmer behind. I'm sure the new owners of Red Hall can find a use for him sweeping floors maybe.

Catalans not playing 15 games isn't all down to bad luck, their exceptionally high number of Covid cases must be in part down to their own procedures. They had other options to guarantee games but chose not to adopt them. They could have relocated like the NZ Warriors did in the NRL instead of constantly travelling in & out of France 

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

3 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

To change the structure with 2 weeks remaining is utterly ludicrous, another fine example of the total incompetence at Rd Hall. When they move to Manchester can they leave the dead wood like Rimmer behind. I'm sure the new owners of Red Hall can find a use for him sweeping floors maybe.

Catalans not playing 15 games isn't all down to bad luck, their exceptionally high number of Covid cases must be in part down to their own procedures. They had other options to guarantee games but chose not to adopt them. They could have relocated like the NZ Warriors did in the NRL instead of constantly travelling in & out of France 

Robert Elstone is in charge of Super League, not the RFL

Archived