Sean Long

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 26/10/2020 at 14:29, ATLANTISMAN said:

I wonder what the Harlequins old boys thought of his stylish tattoo on his neck maybe its caught on 🙂

I’d have thought they would have been more interested in what he could add to their skill sets.

13 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Having watched Sean Long on sky yesterday, I think it’s safe to say clubs won’t be lining up to have him as a head coach. He’s best suited to being an assistant 

Why,didn’t realise it was a job interview.

15 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Having watched Sean Long on sky yesterday, I think it’s safe to say clubs won’t be lining up to have him as a head coach. He’s best suited to being an assistant 

Yeah, he only broke down the plays and the tries with expertise, descriptive language and with a real passion for what he was saying. Not enough “all credit to the boys”, “we wuz robbed”, “grind” or other bilge we get from dull head coaches.

22 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Yeah, he only broke down the plays and the tries with expertise, descriptive language and with a real passion for what he was saying. Not enough “all credit to the boys”, “we wuz robbed”, “grind” or other bilge we get from dull head coaches.

I agree. He seemed to know what he was talking about and broke it down well

I thought Long did a good job of highlighting some of the technical aspects of the game and showed the tactical awareness of the attacking players and how they expoited the defensive weaknesses of the opposition. 

When Trent Robinson does this we are gushing over him. When Long does it we focus on the way he looks.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

3 hours ago, Davo5 said:

Why,didn’t realise it was a job interview.

If it was Sky will employ him .... he talked yawn! I didn't realise he'd become bilingual!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

14 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I thought Long did a good job of highlighting some of the technical aspects of the game and showed the tactical awareness of the attacking players and how they expoited the defensive weaknesses of the opposition. 

When Trent Robinson does this we are gushing over him. When Long does it we focus on the way he looks.

That was me , and I hold my hand up , yes his analysis was excellent , not ground breaking but certainly good , but sometimes the visual aspect just gets in the way , I just kept thinking of MIB 😁

3 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

That was me , and I hold my hand up , yes his analysis was excellent , not ground breaking but certainly good , but sometimes the visual aspect just gets in the way , I just kept thinking of MIB 😁

Well, I agree it is not a look I have adopted... but I am pretty sure he would say the same about me!

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

On 26/10/2020 at 09:50, DoubleD said:

Myler is currently favoured in that position. Walker has not evolved or improved much over the last couple of years, albeit he’s been riddled by injury. He’s promising but he’s got a lot of improvement to do and a bit of competition won’t harm

Myler has been excellent and you can tell when hes not playing,Walker needs to just get his head down and learn the game plenty of time for him yet if he stays clear of injury

4 hours ago, Dunbar said:

The difference being Robinson is able to articulate his point in a clear and concise way.

Long, whilst undoubtedly knowledgeable about the game, rambled on, often at a tangent, interjected with phrases ‘you know’ or ‘you know me’. Brian Carney amusingly picked up on the latter eventually and quipped back ‘yes I do’. 

I couldn’t care less how he looks, it’s immaterial in his ability to do the job but I don’t think he comes across in an assertive manner that leaders require. 

As an aside, and I realise I am going off on an tangent but it was really refreshing to hear Luke Robinson say after the game that he’s doesn’t believe in luck and you make your own luck. I’m a firm believer in this but coach’s too often hide behind this/the referee as an excuse for the team’s failings, which is ultimately counter productive because that feeds into the players mentality, rather than addressing the matters at hand which have led the team to defeat.

15 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

As an aside, and I realise I am going off on an tangent but it was really refreshing to hear Luke Robinson say after the game that he’s doesn’t believe in luck and you make your own luck. I’m a firm believer in this but coach’s too often hide behind this/the referee as an excuse for the team’s failings, which is ultimately counter productive because that feeds into the players mentality, rather than addressing the matters at hand which have led the team to defeat.

I think it is certain that what coaches say over a few seconds post match,over a television screen,is not the same as that explained to the players as they are addressed over future days/nights.

It was interesting to hear Sean Long,while assistant at a struggling Salford,who had a weak pack that failed to make many metres,explain how he was forced to create attacking moves from very deep within their own half.

It was a novel experience for him.I think they mainly involved the full back Patton and half back Holdsworth.

He obviously knows  nothing,of course.How can someone play under Agar,and respect him while at Hull,when all those knowledgeable FC fans didn't respect him?

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

His match analysis was excellent and should join the match commentary to explain the attack/defence as the game develops rather than a studio guest. He could add a lot to the SKY tv presentation.

His dress sense needs looking if he is to be a tv regular which I hope he does. 

On 26/10/2020 at 14:21, graveyard johnny said:

putting sean long in a position like that is a bit like putting a bulldog in charge of the sausages

Thanks for this and your attempt at a political thread Johnny, a right good laugh both of those.

Locked. 😂🤣

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

2 hours ago, DoubleD said:

The difference being Robinson is able to articulate his point in a clear and concise way.

Long, whilst undoubtedly knowledgeable about the game, rambled on, often at a tangent, interjected with phrases ‘you know’ or ‘you know me’. Brian Carney amusingly picked up on the latter eventually and quipped back ‘yes I do’. 

I couldn’t care less how he looks, it’s immaterial in his ability to do the job but I don’t think he comes across in an assertive manner that leaders require. 

Luke Robinson for me was a 10 out of 10 Sean Long 5 out of 10 (If that) simple

1 hour ago, Father Ted said:

His match analysis was excellent and should join the match commentary to explain the attack/defence as the game develops rather than a studio guest. He could add a lot to the SKY tv presentation.

His dress sense needs looking if he is to be a tv regular which I hope he does. 

A shirt, jumper, trousers and a coat? What are you on about? 

12 hours ago, DoubleD said:

Your basing all of this on his first appearance on this show, no leeway for maybe him being nervous. Or does every single other person in this position blow you away on their first go. Its ridiculous that you have psychoanalysed him from 20 minutes on a TV show.

17 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Yeah but Trent Robinson is one of those amazing Aussie supermen, they are just better at everything than us poor English lads....

For some context, here’s what Long was wearing;

spacer.png

A white shirt, a jumper, a black coat and he had a pair of trousers and a pair of shoes on. Nothing particularly out of the ordinary and especially not to the standards we’ve become accustomed to on Sky this year. 

I would suggest that people are more “offended” by the showing of tattoos and a haircut that most middle aged bores on here couldn’t have pulled off for 30+ years. 

Archived