Matches against defunct teams

Wakefield Ram

Remember Cardiff Blue Dragons coming to Crown Flatt in the early 80s with Welsh RU internationals Steve Fenwick, Tommy David and Paul Ringer and think they won. And turned up 2-3 years later midweek as Bridgend and we put 60 against a team allegedly including their bus driver but they did have Chris Camilleri who had a couple of GB caps.

I don't think the bus driver's presence was alleged - he was on the bench and came on in the second half.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

I remember this match very well. The ground announcer gave the Dewsbury team out and then said that Bridgend were all A.N Others except for Dave Aldred, which had the crowd laughing their heads off. 

Dave Aldred, by the way, ended up being the technical kicking coach of the England Rugby Union team when they won the World Cup. As I recall that night, he was kicking balls as high as Emley Moor Mast into the night sky. 

The substitute who came on for them was their owner, by the name of Eugene Caporos (surname might be spelled wrong) and he was making his debut at the age of 36. 

I also remember the coach arriving late and it was past ten o'clock when the match finished. 

39 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

Didn't there used to be a team in Bradford?

Yes, they were called Manningham and won the inaugural championship. They later switched to soccer playing under the name of Bradford City.

HTH

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Another team I remember was Fulham of 1980? with Reg Bowden, Harry Beverley, Morroccan winger Hussein M Barki and Welsh winger Adrian Cambriani and their cult hero Ian Van Bellen, whose son Gary went on to play for us. Don't remember the game much other than we lost, though think they won promotion in their first season.  

3 hours ago, Wakefield Ram said:

Another team I remember was Fulham of 1980? with Reg Bowden, Harry Beverley, Morroccan winger Hussein M Barki and Welsh winger Adrian Cambriani and their cult hero Ian Van Bellen, whose son Gary went on to play for us. Don't remember the game much other than we lost, though think they won promotion in their first season.  

I went down to our game at Craven Cottage in that season by service bus from the bus station - £4 return. We lost, of course, and there weren't that many Dewsbury fans there. Fun times!

I have happy memories of trips to Trafford Borough, Chorley and Nottingham City in the early 1990s, not least because we would often win comfortably. Remember a great pub at Nottingham called The Pelican where I remember having an after-match conversation with Glen Bell in which he told me about a hat he bought in Paris.

Archived