Fixtures

Whatever happened to player welfare? The announcement that Salford will play Cats next Monday will mean 10 games in 39 days for Salford. Probably the smallest squad in the league and lack of a decent academy means the the same players will feature especially with the injuries starting to pile up.

We also seem to face many teams who are coming back after a nice rest.

I know we have to complete the season but really this is too much

Wow ! Bitter much.

I had no problem with playing the Tuesday before the final or again after the final. Many of the other games are due to Covid postponements and a short season. Over the years coaches have complained about Easter but playing a SL game every 4 days is considering player welfare.

10 minutes ago, Red Willow said:

Wow ! Bitter much.

I had no problem with playing the Tuesday before the final or again after the final. Many of the other games are due to Covid postponements and a short season. Over the years coaches have complained about Easter but playing a SL game every 4 days is considering player welfare.

How many global pandemics do we have each year?

8 minutes ago, Red Willow said:

Wow ! Bitter much.

I think you have a fair point. And its a poor criticism for others to use the CC as a stick to beat you with.  The Cup does add pressure, it always has.  But the real issue is the restart after the virus, and the other cancellations, with far to many fixtures.

And lets not forget that if teams like Leeds and Salford are struggling then the lucky ones are the teams who get the chance to put points on them.

Salford only played 3 games in the first 39 days after lockdown, so have had a pretty easy 

1 hour ago, Red Willow said:

Whatever happened to player welfare? The announcement that Salford will play Cats next Monday will mean 10 games in 39 days for Salford. Probably the smallest squad in the league and lack of a decent academy means the the same players will feature especially with the injuries starting to pile up.

Conversely they only had 3 games in the first 39 days after the August return and that "nice rest" probably kept them fresh for the cup.

Nobody would complain if Salford came out and said they were not prepared to play these matches due to player welfare or not having 17 fit players. To their credit they have not, nor are they complaining.

Why dont Salford use Academy players like everyone else has done?

The fact is, if they don’t they won’t get the Sky money and where will that leave them, or any other SL club. We all know it’s not ideal but it’s a necessity. 

If Salford have such a small squad and a rubbish academy should they be in Super League?

This rearranged game has been done for Catalans' benefit as they try to make it to 15 games. However Salford have already played 15 and aren't chasing a top 4 spot, play on Fri 30th and on the following Friday 6th Nov. Hull FC who are competing with Catalans for 4th and also have had a game v Catalans called off due to Covid, play on Thursday 29th and don't have a game on 5th/6th Nov. Catalans should be playing Hull FC not Salford.

Are we expected to feel sorry for a side that played three times in thirty-odd days, who then went on a five game unbeaten run that culminated in a Cup Final appearance and are now having to play catch-up? Because, I really don’t. When you factor in that this is a club with no Academy and Reserve Grade, which makes their two final appearances in a year more impressive, I really don’t see why I should feel sorry for them. 

10 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Are we expected to feel sorry for a side that played three times in thirty-odd days ...

Nobody played for several months therefore all players can play multiple times per week for at least the next year.

We talk a lot about player welfare. Support for physical and mental health, as well as ensuring that players are ready for when the times comes that they won't be playing any more.

Time and time again we fail to deliver. Here's another example of us failing.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

28 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Nobody played for several months therefore all players can play multiple times per week for at least the next year.

We talk a lot about player welfare. Support for physical and mental health, as well as ensuring that players are ready for when the times comes that they won't be playing any more.

Time and time again we fail to deliver. Here's another example of us failing.

It’s not an example. It’s a side having to play catch-up due to getting to the Cup Final. Salford knew the likelihood of having to play catch-up should they have progressed in the cup. 

1 minute ago, Hela Wigmen said:

It’s not an example. It’s a side having to play catch-up due to getting to the Cup Final. Salford knew the likelihood of having to play catch-up should they have progressed in the cup. 

So we reward success by punishing players.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Although a tough run in there isn't much option for anything else. If we extended this season by a couple of weeks there wouldn't be any off season before preseason starts for 2021. Alot of clubs have and are managing their squads and giving game time to the next generation or out of favour players alot of the time to plug the gaps but also for experience if we are going to take a plus out of the restart I think that has to be one of them the amount of players playing Super League this season that might not have if relegation was in the mix. 

19 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

A rather jaundiced view. Did you lose last night?

It wasn't just because we got to the CC final. You seem to have forgotten that we had to miss a few games after Hull's Covid problems. We played Hull, they revealed positive tests, we had to cancel games (not blaming Hull - sh*t happens) and we are playing catch up for that as well as getting to the CC final. The club is not crying "unfair", it is putting teams on the park and competing. Did I mention that we won last night?

The OP probably should have avoided mentioning her club, but she used an example she was well acquainted with, and she does make a valid point about player welfare generally.

The Saints fans on here (including you,HW, iirc) were very generous in their praise of Salford for getting to Wembley, so I'm puzzled by the reactions to this thread. Still, Saints are still, I believe, top and you have a great group of youngsters coming through who will have learnt a lot from last night. Enjoy the rest of the season.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

14 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Teams that reach finals play more games in total, it’s always been that way and always will.

Like I say, we talk about player welfare and then fail time and time again to deliver.

41 minutes ago, tonyXIII said:

A rather jaundiced view. Did you lose last night?

It wasn't just because we got to the CC final. You seem to have forgotten that we had to miss a few games after Hull's Covid problems. We played Hull, they revealed positive tests, we had to cancel games (not blaming Hull - sh*t happens) and we are playing catch up for that as well as getting to the CC final. The club is not crying "unfair", it is putting teams on the park and competing. Did I mention that we won last night?

The OP probably should have avoided mentioning her club, but she used an example she was well acquainted with, and she does make a valid point about player welfare generally.

The Saints fans on here (including you,HW, iirc) were very generous in their praise of Salford for getting to Wembley, so I'm puzzled by the reactions to this thread. Still, Saints are still, I believe, top and you have a great group of youngsters coming through who will have learnt a lot from last night. Enjoy the rest of the season.

No, I didn’t lose. I won £40 on Salford at 2/1. But yeah, you think it’s some petty rubbish, if you like.

Salford, like everyone else, need to get on with it. It is what it is this year and a series of games in a short period, after a period of three in a month, whilst competing and being successful in the Challenge Cup, was inevitable. I’m not sure Salford have a leg to stand on. They knew the rules, they knew this could happen if they did well in the cup and they knew what was likely if Covid cases were diagnosed. It’s unfortunate but we’re, as a game, in a precarious position and this was always going to be the case this year, given we’re desperate to keep the World Cup in place next year  

I’d have swapped with Salford to be in a cup final again. Though, that said, we’d have coped better because we have a reserve grade (Ben Davies being a reserve grade player signed from Widnes) and an Academy (13/17 last night were graduates through our own system). Maybe, Salford fans’ angst should be directed towards their own club rather than the league?

Archived