FRANCE/DRAGONS/TOULOUSE

1 minute ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Exactly. Put them in. Give them a long term exemption to relegation and let them play. 

Who would you kick out then? And why Toulouse and not Newcastle, Toronto, Ottawa, London, Widnes, Sheffield or York?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Just because something happened years ago doesn’t mean it should happen again. And it’s got nothing to do with pleasing Leigh and Fev fans (though they are as important to the game as fans of any other club), it’s about sporting integrity. 

Out of interest, who would you kick out to put Toulouse in?

Toronto if the Superleague clubs decide to not let them back in,or expand to 14 clubs and scrap the loop fixtures.

2 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Who would you kick out then? And why Toulouse and not Newcastle, Toronto, Ottawa, London, Widnes, Sheffield or York?

Who says you need to kick anyone out? Currently there’s eleven teams, for example. You could have 13, 14, 15, 16 or beyond teams in the league, for example. 

Toulouse are probably the most “ready” alongside London there from your list. Toronto are going to be back in Super League, I’m assuming, based on the noises we’ve heard, Ottawa haven’t played a game yet, Widnes need to get back on their feet again and come back slowly, Sheffield are part-time and York need to get into their new ground and see how they go on and off the pitch first. That’s all my opinion though and you could throw in Leigh, Featherstone and probably Halifax in as well with being in with a shout and deservedly so, too. 

17 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Toronto if the Superleague clubs decide to not let them back in,or expand to 14 clubs and scrap the loop fixtures.

14 clubs and no loop fixtures would be great, though a smaller slice of the pie for each so they probably won’t go for it. 

11 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Who says you need to kick anyone out? Currently there’s eleven teams, for example. You could have 13, 14, 15, 16 or beyond teams in the league, for example. 

Toulouse are probably the most “ready” alongside London there from your list. Toronto are going to be back in Super League, I’m assuming, based on the noises we’ve heard, Ottawa haven’t played a game yet, Widnes need to get back on their feet again and come back slowly, Sheffield are part-time and York need to get into their new ground and see how they go on and off the pitch first. That’s all my opinion though and you could throw in Leigh, Featherstone and probably Halifax in as well with being in with a shout and deservedly so, too. 

I’d love to see a 14 team SL, well actually a 16 team one though it may be too many games with Magic and Cup thrown in too. However I still think teams should be promoted, just putting Toulouse in is basically saying they are more important than anyone else and that isn’t fair, I do understand the arguments but still think promotion should be settled on the pitch. Imagine winning the championship and then being told you can’t go up because Toulouse who finished 2nd or 3rd were being promoted instead. 

44 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Just because something happened years ago doesn’t mean it should happen again. And it’s got nothing to do with pleasing Leigh and Fev fans (though they are as important to the game as fans of any other club), it’s about sporting integrity. 

Out of interest, who would you kick out to put Toulouse in?

As things stand we are 1 club short in Super League, but if that wasn’t the case, whoever finishes bottom of the league.

On a corporate sponsorship level I only see Leeds as being anywhere near Toulouse (Even at present) in France its all about contacts and I know that quite a few major companies would increase their sponsorship levels drastically if Toulouse were in SL.

Remember in France it works with a group of corporate sponsorship investors very few clubs have a MR BIG and certainly non in French RL.

For example Bernard Guash at the Dragons is like an appointed trustee on behalf of local interests and the same goes for the current president at Toulouse and Carlos before him.

One major sponsor who came over to the SL Final once said to me as soon as Carlos (As it was then) delivers SL he has mine and others financial backing for whatever he needs.

6 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

On a corporate sponsorship level I only see Leeds as being anywhere near Toulouse (Even at present) in France its all about contacts and I know that quite a few major companies would increase their sponsorship levels drastically if Toulouse were in SL.

Remember in France it works with a group of corporate sponsorship investors very few clubs have a MR BIG and certainly non in French RL.

For example Bernard Guash at the Dragons is like an appointed trustee on behalf of local interests and the same goes for the current president at Toulouse and Carlos before him.

One major sponsor who came over to the SL Final once said to me as soon as Carlos (As it was then) delivers SL he has mine and others financial backing for whatever he needs.

And they’re the type of people you don’t want around in case of a relegation or even relegation threat. 

27 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I’d love to see a 14 team SL, well actually a 16 team one though it may be too many games with Magic and Cup thrown in too. However I still think teams should be promoted, just putting Toulouse in is basically saying they are more important than anyone else and that isn’t fair, I do understand the arguments but still think promotion should be settled on the pitch. Imagine winning the championship and then being told you can’t go up because Toulouse who finished 2nd or 3rd were being promoted instead. 

Fairness and what's best for Superleague doesn't have to go hand in hand.

43 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I’d love to see a 14 team SL, well actually a 16 team one though it may be too many games with Magic and Cup thrown in too.

You don't have to plan a home and away against everyone season. There are probably far more exciting ways but I doubt we'd look into them.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

31 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

As things stand we are 1 club short in Super League, but if that wasn’t the case, whoever finishes bottom of the league.

So you’d relegate someone on the pitch and then promote someone who hasn’t earned it? What does that say to the team who wins the championship ahead of Toulouse? Sorry lads you’re in the wrong country. 

19 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

And they’re the type of people you don’t want around in case of a relegation or even relegation threat. 

To be fair to them they have provided backing so far, the budget of Toulouse is way above any other Championship club now TW are not in it.

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

14 clubs and no loop fixtures would be great, though a smaller slice of the pie for each so they probably won’t go for it. 

Getting a smaller slice of the pie doesn't matter Eddie, if the pie is a bigger pie. 

31 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

Getting a smaller slice of the pie doesn't matter Eddie, if the pie is a bigger pie. 

There seems to be minimal drive to grow the pie though.

Half the clubs won't risk the thing that keeps them professional, the other half want to drag the whole game kicking and screaming in their sometimes different directions.

Just now, Tommygilf said:

There seems to be minimal drive to grow the pie though.

Half the clubs won't risk the thing that keeps them professional, the other half want to drag the whole game kicking and screaming in their sometimes different directions.

Tom. Toulouse in SL would probably mean my club aren't. I can live with that if that elevation is won on the pitch, pretty much as twp did. I have no problems with that.

Once they achieve that elevation I could live with them having exemptions or some positive discrimination to allow them some room that perhaps my club wouldn't be afforded if they were promoted. I just feel its a fundamental right to earn promotion. Its fair. Its transparent. 

4 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Tom. Toulouse in SL would probably mean my club aren't. I can live with that if that elevation is won on the pitch, pretty much as twp did. I have no problems with that.

Once they achieve that elevation I could live with them having exemptions or some positive discrimination to allow them some room that perhaps my club wouldn't be afforded if they were promoted. I just feel its a fundamental right to earn promotion. Its fair. Its transparent. 

I'm not disputing that at all mate, I'd rather the system was different so that international club sides weren't pitted against 2nd and 3rd division English teams.

Though I have to be honest, your argument applies to all clubs, including (and more likely related to) English ones.

51 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

It doesn’t mean that. Not at all. 

1 minute ago, DoubleD said:

You expand the play off system

To create more dead rubbers, this time dressed up as play-off games, and reward mediocrity, as per the fourteen team Super League previously where Leeds would wake up in August and win the title from mid table. Nah, you’re alright, thanks. 

2 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

To create more dead rubbers, this time dressed up as play-off games, and reward mediocrity, as per the fourteen team Super League previously where Leeds would wake up in August and win the title from mid table. Nah, you’re alright, thanks. 

You sound very bitter Oliver. The NRL's 8 team play off works perfectly well

3 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

You sound very bitter Oliver. The NRL's 8 team play off works perfectly well

Whoever Oliver is might be upset by that. 

Right, that’s your argument? A much more even and professional competition with far greater sides of far greater quality has a system that works well for their needs so we must do the same? Yeah, that’ll work. As it did when we tried it before. Oh...

Archived