Match cancellations

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Rupert Prince said:

Castleford v Giants game off.

12 Tigers players test positive.

Wither the season?

Seems rampant now. Not just in RL but in the general population. Within the last week we’ve been advised of about 10 cases at our boys’ school (tiny country village school) and also a few people on the close where we live.

On a somewhat more positive note all had very minor or no symptoms, even though some were in the ‘at risk’ category. Although one of those still had poor sense of taste even after two weeks.

Weirdly enough some had virtually no contact with the outside world. So I guess we can’t make the assumption of protocol misbehaviour by players.

If we were to stick with the current play off system, would the result of this game have much bearing on the season? 

33 minutes ago, Cheshire Setter said:

Seems rampant now. Not just in RL but in the general population. Within the last week we’ve been advised of about 10 cases at our boys’ school (tiny country village school) and also a few people on the close where we live.

On a somewhat more positive note all had very minor or no symptoms, even though some were in the ‘at risk’ category. Although one of those still had poor sense of taste even after two weeks.

Weirdly enough some had virtually no contact with the outside world. So I guess we can’t make the assumption of protocol misbehaviour by players.

If we were to stick with the current play off system, would the result of this game have much bearing on the season? 

Please don't be misguided that it is not bad by your neighborhood experience, believe me if it gets hold it is not very good at all.

Just now, Hela Wigmen said:

Not saying there’s any suggestion here or elsewhere that things aren’t above board but do clubs have to provide proof of positive tests to Super League before calling a game off?

The RFL and SL seem to be heavily involved, plus they have to work with PHE on this, so we have to assume the answer is yes. There does appear to be a level of governance here. 

16 minutes ago, Dave T said:

We just keep going. We have factored this into our plan. 

Only Catalans' number of games is problematic at this stage.

France is about to enter a four week lockdown. This could be the cover to end Catalans’ season.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

47 minutes ago, Cheshire Setter said:

On the wider front there are many many thousands in hospital and growing.  Deaths are less because better treatments are being used.  In the first wave a lady across from us had it and very nearly had to go into hospital. 

I live in a medium area, currently I feel relatively safe but its not certain what the future holds.

There can be long term side effects.  Let us not ignore this, its worrying and frankly I am extremely angry that too many people are being too sanguine about it. 

As far as the game goes, may be this will be a blip.  But we really need NOW to stop these 3 games a week.  Stop it now! Create space.  Indeed end the regular season this weekend. Revert to a 5 team play off. Don't award the trophy if it upsets people. But I think we are hours away from coming up with something coherent.  Nothing will be fair, but effectively the best teams happen to be the top 5.

4 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

Nothing will be fair, but effectively the best teams happen to be the top 5.

Yeah I think it’s fair to argue that there’s  a significant standards gap between the current 5 and those below. It’s obviously not ideal, but probably the best way forward under the circumstances.

5 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

France is about to enter a four week lockdown. This could be the cover to end Catalans’ season.

Yes.  But what happens if then people revert back to previously?   Certainly looks the end for Catalan and any notion of a top 5.   Step up Leeds?

Just now, Cheshire Setter said:

Yeah I think it’s fair to argue that there’s  a significant standards gap between the current 5 and those below. It’s obviously not ideal, but probably the best way forward under the circumstances.

See the news about a French lockdown !

1 minute ago, Spidey said:

Salford not playing Warrington now. But not covid related. Warrington awarded the game

<<<Secretly hopes for Wigan and Saints to do the same in semi and final, whilst dusting down ‘our year’ banner>>>

2 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Salford not playing Warrington now. But not covid related. Warrington awarded the game

I think this should be the catalyst to end the season and have a top 6 playoff, if teams can just cancel games that have absolutely no bearing on their season we need to now look at it. Cancel the current format, 2 weeks break then straight into a playoff and get the season ended.

1 minute ago, Lowdesert said:

2100-0600 curfew for, roughly, half of France.

66 (includes Perpignan) is but not Aude (afaik)

They’re saying the lockdown won’t be a severe one like in the spring. Maybe it won’t prevent Cats travelling here. 

29 minutes ago, Dave T said:

The RFL and SL seem to be heavily involved, plus they have to work with PHE on this, so we have to assume the answer is yes. There does appear to be a level of governance here. 

PHE will have to be involved.. any more than 2 (IIRC) at a work place needs to be reports... its a problem for us at work as we have 3 married couples working for us and one mother & Son who live together, so 1 family could cause a PHE report here! 

They then check you over for doing everything right etc... they are not going to want to report issues they dont have to (if they are running to the same guidlines which i assume they are) otherwise they run the risk of real issues with PHE and HSE.

Archived