Match cancellations

3 minutes ago, Cheshire Setter said:

So have Saints agreed to forfeit or just claiming a postponement. Won’t they drop down to 3rd if they forfeit? Not that it will make that much difference of course.

If Saints and obviously Hull KR forfeit the games and Catalan are awarded the points and it counts to their 15 games thats also ended Leeds’ season, what would be the point of Leeds fulfilling their remaining fixture against Wigan?

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Cheshire Setter said:

So have Saints agreed to forfeit or just claiming a postponement. Won’t they drop down to 3rd if they forfeit? Not that it will make that much difference of course.

Neither, yet. According to the article in L’Independent, we want the game to be played over here, so it doesn’t look like we want to call it off. 

Team news should be announced soon, so I think we’ll get a statement one way or the other soon. 

1 minute ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Neither, yet. According to the article in L’Independent, we want the game to be played over here, so it doesn’t look like we want to call it off. 

Team news should be announced soon, so I think we’ll get a statement one way or the other soon. 

Ah okay, cheers.

With the looming national lockdown in England and the current lockdown in France, it appears the RFL asked the Dragons to relocate to England for the remainder of the season so they could fulfill their fixtures, but they refused.

Saints have said they don't want to travel to France because of the ban on international travel, the significantly increased risk of catching Covid if they travel, and the fact that every player & official would then have to self isolate for 14 days when they return, meaning an end to all their remaining fixtures for the year. If the season then gets curtailed and the play-off's start earlier then Saints would have to forfeit their place in the play-off's because of isolation.

Its an impossible situation - go to France and risk a Covid outbreak and face 2 weeks of the entire teams isolation, risking their place in the paly-off's, or don't go and forfeit the game.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

Just now, Saint Toppy said:

With the looming national lockdown in England and the current lockdown in France, it appears the RFL asked the Dragons to relocate to England for the remainder of the season so they could fulfill their fixtures, but they refused.

Saints have said they don't want to travel to France because of the ban on international travel, the significantly increased risk of catching Covid if they travel, and the fact that every player & official would then have to self isolate for 14 days when they return, meaning an end to all their remaining fixtures for the year. If the season then gets curtailed and the play-off's start earlier then Saints would have to forfeit their place in the play-off's because of isolation.

Its an impossible situation - go to France and risk a Covid outbreak and face 2 weeks of the entire teams isolation, risking their place in the paly-off's, or don't go and forfeit the game.

I thought there was exemptions for professional sports team's with the quarantine restrictions? Hence Football teams flying all over the place.

6 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

Aren’t elite sportspeople exempt from the isolation rules  when travelling for work?

sorry beaten to it.

1 minute ago, Damien said:

I thought there was exemptions for professional sports team's with the quarantine restrictions? Hence Football teams flying all over the place.

An exemption for travel yes, but I thought there was no exemption from self isolation if they did travel ?

Saints have done a remarkable job so far in not having any of their 1st team players test positive, only standing players down as a precaution where they have had family members test positive. They would be foolish to risk all that hard work now just before the play-off's and lose half their squad. They're already guaranteed a top 4 finish and a play-off spot and 'home advantage' doesn't really matter this year without fans, so finishing 1st, 2nd or 3rd is almost irrelevant.

Better to forfeit the game and concentrate only on the play-off's

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

6 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

There is. 

Then what are they trying to pull here? Catalans have gone over and above to fulfill their obligations and Saints can't reciprocate? 

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

1 minute ago, Saint Toppy said:

An exemption for travel yes, but I thought there was no exemption from self isolation if they did travel ?

Saints have done a remarkable job so far in not having any of their 1st team players test positive, only standing players down as a precaution where they have had family members test positive. They would be foolish to risk all that hard work now just before the play-off's and lose half their squad. They're already guaranteed a top 4 finish and a play-off spot and 'home advantage' doesn't really matter this year without fans, so finishing 1st, 2nd or 3rd is almost irrelevant.

Better to forfeit the game and concentrate only on the play-off's

If you're cancelling matches because you don't fancy it the seasons over. 

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

10 minutes ago, Damien said:

Not if a team member catches the virus though. Saints obviously don't want to risk it.

19 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

If we can fulfil the fixture we should.

We should just isolate the academy and send them to play with the academy staff - problem solved.  It has been fine for other clubs to throw games so far like Wigan against us before the Cup.

2 minutes ago, Damien said:

I never realised you could now pick and choose games.

Exactly. Not wanting to risk missing out on a trophy down the line is not justifiable reason for cancelling a game. This is bringing the game in disrepute. If you could do this everyone outside the top 4 may as well pack up and go home and collect furlough like Hull KR.

Just now, DI Keith Fowler said:

Exactly. Not wanting to risk missing out on a trophy down the line is not justifiable reason for cancelling a game. This is bringing the game in disrepute. If you could do this everyone outside the top 4 may as well pack up and go home and collect furlough like Hull KR.

It has happened several times durign the year already.  Teams have been refusing to play their first team because of bigger games coming up lots of times.  Wigan basically cancelled the derby before the cup semi, they just didn't get as good an outcome as the 24-0 Salford got.

Let's be honest, the season is a farce now and the only thing that can save it is a play-off series that we should try to protect the integrity of by not exposing certain teams to significantly more risk than others on the eve of it when other teams are pulling out lof the meaningless recent and future games left right and centre.

If the season isn't curtailed just send the academy.

3 minutes ago, FearTheVee said:

If we can fulfil the fixture we should.

We should just isolate the academy and send them to play with the academy staff - problem solved.  It has been fine for other clubs to throw games so far like Wigan against us before the Cup.

People may not like clubs playing weakened teams, and Saints certainly haven't been immune to doing this themselves, but it has happened for as long as I can remember. Its not great but that's sport and peaking at the right times. Purposely missing games is a different kettle of fish. 

27 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

Saints given 12 point deduction and relegated to Championship.

😀

But being much more serious.  The regular season should have been curtailed yesterday, the cancellations of 2 games at least from Castleford ought to have broken the straw of even the dozyist administrator/supporter's back surely?

Just now, Rupert Prince said:

Saints given 12 point deduction and relegated to Championship.

😀

But being much more serious.  The regular season should have been curtailed yesterday, the cancellations of 2 games at least from Castleford ought to have broken the straw of even the dozyist administrator/supporter's back surely?

It’s going to be curtailed today. 

On 28/10/2020 at 13:17, Hela Wigmen said:

Salford have had to play more games than most because they’ve been successful. It’s how it’s been for years. 

This is not and never will be something you can decsribe as "It's how it's been for years"

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Archived