30 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• St Helens
    • Wigan Warriors

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

Well that was pants.  We've reverted to the Saints of pre lockdown which I hoped the covid version of RL would have banished into touch.  Alas, no.  Woolf has killed what was a great attacking side and it's sad to see it as a Saints fan.  We don't do up the middle rugby very well.  I'm sure Naiqama still had a white shirt by the end of the game so rarely was he or any of the outside backs actually involved.  Boring stuff in the first half; boring rubbish from Saints in the second.

An off night against an inspired Wigan side is enough to counter the impressive beatings St Helens have dished out almost every week since lockdown? Have a little more confidence.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Tough game. Did ok in the first half, but absolutely bullied in the second.

In the early 2010's, this happened repeatedly. Wigan played very aggressively and we went into our shell. Nathan Brown changed that but that was a return to pre-2014 times.

With Walmsley in, that would have been different, but demonstrates a worrying reliance on him.

Under Woolf, our defence is far better, but we are more limited in attack.

If we are bettered in the forwards, we lack the clinical edge and attacking potency to overcome that.

Plenty to work on. Warrington and now Wigan have shown they know how to beat us. What will define our season is if we can learn from those mistakes.

2 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

An off night against an inspired Wigan side is enough to counter the impressive beatings St Helens have dished out almost every week since lockdown? Have a little more confidence.

Perhaps should have played a stronger team against Salford?

4 minutes ago, Wirral Warrior said:

Got to disagree. I think he thoughtful and provides really good insights from a recent top creative player and emerging coach.

Really good technical explanations rather than tired cliches that many ex players use

Agree. His broadcasting flow isn't perfect, but he gives really insightful comments

20 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Yeah I understand some of those concerns, but are we heading back to one game a week now? 

Not entirely, Dave T.  The Dragons have four games in thirteen days, but I accept they are the extreme case.

Wigan were obviously fit, and because they stayed fit they kept they their concentration. Good win.

Two bits of quick hands scored 2 great tries.  Bibby and Hastings. They could easily have gone the other way!!

So nobody need get carried away yet.

The Greenwood tackle reminded me of one I saw Danny Gardiner make for Wigan, at Central Park circa 1964, which also lifted his opponent clean off his feet.  He was off and hardly bothered to wait for the ref to tell him so!

8 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Saints have had one impressive win since lock down, the rest has been dire to watch.

1 minute ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

The Greenwood tackle reminded me of one I saw Danny Gardiner make for Wigan, at Central Park circa 1964, which also lifted his opponent clean off his feet.  He was off and hardly bothered to wait for the ref to tell him so!

So that’s the worst tackle since 1964. Not watched many games since then?

great win by a fitter team saints not very good without walmsley getting set restarts and quick play the balls for roby, shame for greenwood just getting some form 2 match ban and 1 removed for walmsley rule.

may be one or two others up befpre the beak as well.

Through the fish-eyed lens of tear stained eyes
I can barely define the shape of this moment in time(roger waters)

1 minute ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

Ah Danny Gardener...!  I remember Brian Hogan decapitating someone. Not sure if he was playing for Widnes or us.

Wigan were well focussed and that incident shows how much on the edge they were.   

I imagine Harry Smith will have 90 minutes next week.  And we saw a proper game thanks to the players having a week to prepare.

24 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

Well that was pants.  We've reverted to the Saints of pre lockdown which I hoped the covid version of RL would have banished into touch.  Alas, no.  Woolf has killed what was a great attacking side and it's sad to see it as a Saints fan.  We don't do up the middle rugby very well.  I'm sure Naiqama still had a white shirt by the end of the game so rarely was he or any of the outside backs actually involved.  Boring stuff in the first half; boring rubbish from Saints in the second.

Or Wigan forced you to play the way they wanted you to play and made sure you couldn't use your backs. 

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

57 minutes ago, Manfred Mann said:

Why do some Sky commentators, either Barry or Terry, insist on referring to Lachlan Cote as the best full back in Super League? 

This is clearly false. Both Sam Tomkins and Bevan French are far superior full backs.

Watch the NRL, quality Full Backs all over the place.

13 minutes ago, Wollongong said:

I thought it was a really disappointing game... effort and desire was good but discipline and execution was low... and I agree that Sean long’s media skills are not top quality and his appearance is tramp-like

fwiw I enjoyed the earlier game more. 

Klaxon, Klaxon, Klaxon.

Trolling Alert

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

5 hours ago, Barca Mum said:

How do you do that?

Sorry, i ended up turning off the forum all together, but the easiest way to do it for next time is:

At the top of the browser you have the name of your account , click it and go to the "ignored users" tab, click on it and you can then search the username of the person you wish to put on ignore, and then choose what you want to ignore of them, i.e. posts, dm's, signatures, etc.

8 hours ago, Wirral Warrior said:

Got to disagree. I think he thoughtful and provides really good insights from a recent top creative player and emerging coach.

Really good technical explanations rather than tired cliches that many ex players use

Agreed, he looked and sounded a bit awkward in front of the camera but that’s understandable as he hasn’t done it often, and he obviously doesn’t have the usual studio look (to say the least), but I’d like to hear more from him in that role. 

7 hours ago, Saint 1 said:

So who would you actually pick? He was there to essentially not mess up while Knowles was spelled, nothing more.

Welsby is a much better defender than Simm and also gives us cover for loads of other positions. 

Ashworth. I wouldn’t have Paulo within a hundred miles of that side. 

Archived