Thread for Best of British television science fiction.  I grew up on a diet of sci fi tv and books. Doctor Who is on a separate thread,but here are some others from the golden era of Brit SF.

Gerry Anderson's first live action series U.F.O. Very underrated series,  full of  adult themed stories amongst the usual Anderson action themes.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Blake's 7, a show that was way ahead of it's time. Some later shows particularly Babylon 5 were influenced by this. It had great characters,  and an engaging arcing plot. The fx were cr#p, but this was 70's BBC.

Blake's 7 and the Monty Python song, " Bright side of Life"

Space 1999- next up after U.F.O. for Gerry Anderson was Space 1999. I have mixed feelings about this, we have some very good ideas, and excellent episodes,  but wrapped in a stupid concept and not great acting.  When it's good it's very good,  but it also reaches depths of mediocrity which ruins it.

As far as British science fiction goes, don't bother revisiting 'Kinvig'. I did a few months ago, and it was not very good or funny at all.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

The Prisoner with Patrick McGoohan, what can you say about this? Weird and wonderful,  baffling but brilliant. A secret agent resigns and ends up in a strange village.  Where is he ? Who runs it? Everyone has a number and no name, The Prisoner is number 6, but who is number 1?

Remember the diffident Bernard from "Yes, Minister"? Ever thought that he'd be great as a swashbuckling space pilot in an adventure featuring Bond girl Martine Beswick? Someone thought so...

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

We've got this far without The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy? Shame on all of us.

And does Sapphire & Steel count as science fiction? I think so.

Tripods was one that passed me by, but a friend of mine was obsessed with it.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

The Tomorrow People just popped back into my memory! I only saw the occasional episode, as we didn't always have a TV at the time.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

10 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

We've got this far without The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy? Shame on all of us.

And does Sapphire & Steel count as science fiction? I think so.

Tripods was one that passed me by, but a friend of mine was obsessed with it.

Here you go 👍🏼

9 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

The Tomorrow People just popped back into my memory! I only saw the occasional episode, as we didn't always have a TV at the time.

I have the whole series on dvd, and started watching about a year ago, thirty odd years since last seeing it. Amazingly I got to about episode 50 out of 68 before deciding I'd had enough . I might watch the last 18 episodes, perhaps if we have another lockdown. 

2 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

Travis, the perfect villain for Blake's 7, personally I actually prefer Brian Croucher in series 2, but Stephen Greif in series 1 was pretty good too.

I'm of the opposite view. Travis v2.0 was like a wannabe hardman from Eastenders. The original was full of rage and vindictiveness, plus a bit of over-acting.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just now, Futtocks said:

I'm of the opposite view. Travis v2.0 was like a wannabe hardman from Eastenders. The original was full of rage and vindictiveness, plus a bit of over-acting.

I do actually agree with that, but Travis in series 2 was like a gangster and went psycho, ending up trying to destroy humanity.  I'm sure Greif could have played it that way, but it seemed to fit Croucher's portrayal. 

Just did a li'l Googling, and apparently Max Headroom was a British production. It may not have aged well, but it made me laugh back in the day.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just now, RidingPie said:

I’m still traumatised over the ending of Blakes 7!

Having just watched Craig Charles and Hattie Hayridge (Red Dwarf) making a cameo appearance in The Lexx, it sets me to thinking that Avon doing a transatlantic cameo in something like well-meaning and earnest like Star Trek would have been hilarious.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Space 1999 ended without a definitive ending,  but a fan made vid exists with Zenia Merton who played Sandra Benes reprising her role for a wrap up of the saga of the Alphans.

Archived