Roy Francis, what a story!

1 hour ago, Scubby said:

I am a RL history nut but didn't realise just how long he was at Hull and what an impact he made there as a coach.

He was revered by Hull fans of my dad's generation.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

21 hours ago, Route66 said:

Just read this article this morning and agree it's an inspirational story. To be honest it was before my time and I hadn't a clue about his career. These are the stories that need to be told to educate the younger generation 

History has a habit of being before most people's time, Route. I think it may be on the label? There are many stories where RL in the face of values at the time did the right thing. They are inspirational and positive. RL should celebrate these and people like Roy for those reasons, and also not be too afraid to display a warts an'all attitude to where it didn't and isn't doing such a good job. It should also start looking at the everyday and all the time reflection of what all of that means and what it's doing about it because racism isn't just for Christmas!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

It says in this article that Roy Francis is "not in Britain`s wider sporting consciousness", and "not on the list of 100 great black Britons". That`s probably because the people making the selection would instinctively never think of RL or consider achievements in RL as possessing the same prestige as those in certain other sports.

No doubt they would be voluble about the type of structural discrimination and systemic exclusion that concerns them. Whilst remaining oblivious to their own prejudices and assumptions that affect other sections of society.

4 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

It says in this article that Roy Francis is "not in Britain`s wider sporting consciousness", and "not on the list of 100 great black Britons". That`s probably because the people making the selection would instinctively never think of RL or consider achievements in RL as possessing the same prestige as those in certain other sports.

No doubt they would be voluble about the type of structural discrimination and systemic exclusion that concerns them. Whilst remaining oblivious to their own prejudices and assumptions that affect other sections of society.

It’s hardly surprising he isn’t in the wider sporting consciousness. Don’t think it’s anything calculated. Think it’s just the reality of the profile of RL. For example, here’s a BBC article on the last GB team to win the RLWC.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_league/7656503.stm

“When the legendary Bobby Moore wiped his hands on his shorts before collecting the World Cup trophy from the Queen at Wembley in 1966, he provided one of the most enduring images in British sport.

But when Great Britain skipper Clive Sullivan lifted the Rugby League World Cup trophy on 11 November, 1972, there were just 4,231 fans at the Stade de Gerland in Lyon to witness it.”

The reason Moore’s is an enduring image is because 1966 had a record 32.30 million U.K. viewing audience, a record that still stands. If there are few people to witness something then it’s not going to be talked about, so it’s not a case of ignoring or sidelining.

Take issue with Tony Collins on labelling him the “first” modern coach in British sport. Just one example that precedes him, Bill Shankly was all about psychology and tactics in the early 1950s at a time when managers just ran their players into the ground by forcing them to do laps. Before Shankly there was Herbert Chapman in the 1930s, whose innovations are still in use today.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herbert_Chapman

Thats just football. I’m sure there are many examples of coaches across all sports who were ahead of their time.

On 29/10/2020 at 05:48, weloveyouwakefield2 said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/54695638
his story should be told in schools to illustrate what life was like back then. They should make a film out of it.

Unbelievable!

Good idea but please not including that Don Fox miss! 😞

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

Archived